Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Keeping good form on a bike

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 06:14 PM
alandmor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

Seeking some input about keeping good upper-body form on a bike. I think my bike is relatively well set up for me fit-wise. When riding on the flats or the hoods, I try to imagine a straight line from my shoulder to my wrist and try to keep my elbows more or less in that line. My arms aren't locked straight but bent slightly at the elbow. However, my elbows have a tendency to rotate outwards so they're no longer on that line and stick out to both sides. Are there any tips or tricks to keeping elbows more or less in-line or is it an indication that maybe the fit is a bit off? Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.
Old 03-10-24, 07:50 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Chris Froome tends to stick his elbows out, too, and everybody does it in a full-out sprint.

Sticking your elbows out could be an old habit or it could be the result of a handlebar angle that doesn't agree with your wrists, a handlebar that's too narrow, or a handlebar that's too close in in. Before making any radical changes, try correcting an old habit. When you feel your elbows sticking out when you bend them, remind yourself to pull them in. After a while it might become a new habit. It worked for me. If that doesn't work, check your bar and lever angle. If you're using a modern compact bar, the top should be dead level. The hoods should be dead level with the bar, too, or aimed just so slightly upward. If you're not using a modern compact bar, I highly recommend that you get one. Last, if the bar is just plain too close to your shoulders or too narrow, the elbows have to go somewhere where they won't get in the way. You might want to consult a fitter before buying new equipment.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 03-11-24, 08:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I use to keep my elbows inline too. However I found that if I let them stick out a little, I don't have to keep as much bend in my elbow to keep my hands from starting to get numb on really long rides. YMMV.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-11-24, 10:19 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Exercise your core: abdominals, back muscles, obliques. When you've developed these, they'll support you better than your arms and hands.
Especially if your gym has one of those racks that let you do back-extensions. (Reverse-sit-ups.) When I started doing those, I was able to ride much more comfortably, with a light touch on the bars and didn't have so much weight on my hands.

Last edited by calamarichris; 03-11-24 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 03-18-24, 08:49 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Elbows that want to move outward could be an indication that your stack is too high. Disclaimer: Seeking fit advice from a cycling forum is always a bad idea! Go get a proper fit from a competent professional.
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches: