Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Grand Touring & Mirage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 08:44 AM
TheWilliamChung

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just recently purchased a Motobecane Grand Touring and Mirage. Both look like they are in very good condition for there age. I am looking to refinish both of them. I am looking for recommendation for websites where I can purchase parts. Looking for new tires, seat, brakes, brake cables, and chain. The bikes also came with alloy wheels I am assuming that they are not originals. Here are some pictures of the bikes.

Old 07-09-10, 08:50 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I don't know about the Mirage, but if the Grand Touring has concave Weinmann's, they're likely original.

I personally wouldn't sweat originality when it comes to stuff like cables and chains - especially if you're planning on riding them. Go with what works - newer cables and chains usually function better. Same with the saddle - I'd go with something classic looking, but something that's also comfortable. I'm thinking the original saddle for the Grand Touring might have been an Avocet.

Usually, ebay is your best bet for parts, and most of what you need for those bikes should be obtainable fairly cheaply.
Old 07-09-10, 09:06 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TheWilliamChung
I just recently purchased a Motobecane Grand Touring and Mirage. Both look like they are in very good condition for there age. I am looking to refinish both of them. ....

]
What do you mean by "refinish"? -Do you mean "refurbish"? - As you stated, both bikes are in good condition so "refinishing" can only significantly REDUCE their value.
Old 07-09-10, 09:23 AM
TheWilliamChung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Mirage paint seems to be dull and old also it has a lot of small rust spots. I was looking at stripping the paint and fixing the rust spot and powder coating the frame. I need some parts also for the Grand Touring seats and tires mainly. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 07-09-10, 10:03 AM
auchencrow

The Mirage paint seems to be dull and old also it has a lot of small rust spots. I was looking at stripping the paint and fixing the rust spot and powder coating the frame. I need some parts also for the Grand Touring seats and tires mainly. Thanks for the quick reply.
Hi TheWilliamChung-

They are your bikes to do as you wish, but be advised that refinishing them adversely affect any future sales.
- And that includes powder coating.

( I am only restating this because there are indications in your post that you are completely inexperienced, and I would not want you to do something that you may regret later. )
Old 07-09-10, 10:11 AM
TheWilliamChung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am complete new to the cycling world. I purchased these bikes from a neighbor and was hoping to get them ready to cruise around the city. What would you guys recommend for me to to do to clean them up a bit. I already bought some lube and lubed the chain. But I would like to get rid of the rust spots. Thanks again.
Old 07-09-10, 10:15 AM
dbarnblatt@usa.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
one stop shop for replacement cables, housing, bar tape, tubes, tires, etc. for your bike is https://www.velo-orange.com/

They have a good selection of saddles as well. You might find stuff a "little" cheaper at places like AE Bike... but whe it comes to cables and replacement stuff you are not saving that much.

Both look to be in pretty nice, if not surprisingly good condition. The Grand Touring absolutely came with alloy wheels. The Mirage probably did not but there is no reason at all to go back to the Rigida steel wheels if you have a set of alloy wheels now. The model above the Mirage, called the Super Mirage came with alloys.

Try some car wax/polish on the Mirage. You would be surprised on how a little elbow grease can bring something back! Besides... the older Motobecanes with the script logo (like your Mirage) are kind of rare. Most found are later models like your grand touring. It would be nice to preserve the cool vintage Motobecane paint and logos.

Last edited by dbarnblatt@usa.; 07-09-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-09-10, 10:21 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
The wheels are probably 27", so velo orange is not the best source of tires. In fact, I'm not aware that they source any 27" tires.

I would try to put an order together from a single retailer. With shipping, piecemeal stuff tends to get pricey.

I actually really like AEbike. They tend to have some of the best prices. I've never had to talk to them or anything, though.
Old 07-09-10, 11:03 AM
TheWilliamChung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys for the great feedback. I will start the cleaning today. Also on the Mirage there on the bar there is the red sponge type grip. How do I get it off? Cut it off? The Grand Touring is too big for me so I am going to end up selling it. Can someone tell me how to measure the size of a bike. Thanks
Old 07-09-10, 11:05 AM
dbarnblatt@usa.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're right. At one time I did order some 27" stuff from them. But 27" tires can be had at any LBS. So maybe is it good to order the other items and not have to pay shipping on the tires. Then again AE Bike will have everything, and they are cheap.

Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
The wheels are probably 27", so velo orange is not the best source of tires. In fact, I'm not aware that they source any 27" tires.

I would try to put an order together from a single retailer. With shipping, piecemeal stuff tends to get pricey.

I actually really like AEbike. They tend to have some of the best prices. I've never had to talk to them or anything, though.
Old 07-09-10, 01:39 PM
auchencrow

Thanks guys for the great feedback. I will start the cleaning today. Also on the Mirage there on the bar there is the red sponge type grip. How do I get it off? Cut it off? The Grand Touring is too big for me so I am going to end up selling it. Can someone tell me how to measure the size of a bike. Thanks
The sponge grips can be removed by scoring it with a box knife (no need to scratch the bar) and then simply peeling them off.

Traditionally, road bikes are sized according to the length of the seat tube, measured from the center of the crank to opening where the seat post inserts - but the length of the top tube is a prime consideration. The distance from saddle to bars needs to be long enough to allow you to ride without assuming a fetal position. (Much more comfortable for grown-ups).

In full down stroke on the pedal, your leg should be near fully extended - the knee very slightly bent. (This allows you to exert maximum force with minimal effort), so the length of the seat post and the crank arms (usually 165-175mm) enters into it, as do personal preferences. (Eg.; Do you push with your toe/ or ride with clips, etc).

You will hear novices talk a lot about "stand over height" - but this is a very unreliable measure. Anyway, stand-over generally takes care of itself if you just keep the preceding guidelines in mind.
Old 07-11-10, 11:24 AM
TheWilliamChung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished tuning up both bikes, but I had a question for the Mirage. I got a rim that came with the Mirage it is 27 1 1/4. But for some reason I can't get the fork into where the wheel locks in. They only way it could fit is if I were to bend the fork out a little, but I don't want to damage the bike. Should I get a set of new rims?
Old 07-11-10, 11:48 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
You may have to spread the fork legs a few millimeters. I've done this before with no problems.
Old 07-11-10, 12:00 PM
TheWilliamChung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep Just spread the forks alittle went right in thanks guys.
Old 07-14-10, 08:18 PM
TheWilliamChung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking for the bolt in the first picture it slides to the the pedal and locks it to the crank. Does anyone know what this kind of bolt is called or where I can get it from?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3671..jpg (108.4 KB, 41 views)
IMG_3673..jpg (88.3 KB, 41 views)
IMG_3672..jpg (87.5 KB, 41 views)
IMG_3670..jpg (99.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 07-14-10, 08:34 PM
auchencrow

They are called "cotters" and you have a "cottered crank" ( It is the crank arm, not the "pedal" that these insert into).

They can be purchased from Bike Smith HERE

Note that the size for French, Italian and English vary. Be sure to order the right one.
Also READ all of Sheldon Brown's discussion on installing cotters before attempting this.
Old 08-18-10, 06:49 PM
TheWilliamChung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I am having trouble figuring out which brake and shifter cables to buy off of AEbike. The top is for my shifter cables and the bottom is for my brake. I am not sure what the ends are called and I fear I might order the wrong ones. Also I was looking at some Kool Stop brakes and can't seem to figure out which ones would fit my bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Attached Images
IMG_3730..jpg (94.7 KB, 41 views)
IMG_3727..jpg (93.9 KB, 43 views)
IMG_3732..jpg (92.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-18-10, 07:41 PM
auchencrow

I could not find ANYTHING on the AEBike website. (I don't know how they stay in business with a site like that). -So I searched a few products on Naiagara, so at least you will know what type of product you are looking for:

I recommend getting stainless road bike brake cables, with Shimano ends:
https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ucts_id=402674

Likewise for Derailleur cables:
https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ucts_id=500868

If you want KoolStop brake shoes, these will probably work- but they are not the correct (Weinmann Type) shoes for your bikes and they will look a little odd.
https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ucts_id=432856

I use these cheap Weinmann Type shoes on my Motobecanes, and almost all of my bikes:
https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=10006
Old 08-18-10, 09:23 PM
TheWilliamChung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Auchencrow thank you once again.
Old 08-18-10, 09:27 PM
dbarnblatt@usa.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
AE Bike is fairly easy to navigate. It's not really any different from any other site.... i've seen much worse! Go here for components and parts:

https://aebike.com/parts-accessories-...onents-c27.htm

Here is a brake cable that can be used on most any bike... just cut off the end you don't need!

https://aebike.com/product/jagwire-ba...a6210-qc30.htm

Shifter cables:

https://aebike.com/product/jagwire-ba...a4443-qc30.htm

Brake pads:

https://aebike.com/product/cane-creek...r1131-qc30.htm
Old 08-26-10, 08:12 PM
hwdxbassist

Bikes: Affinity Lo Pro-madison(RIP)-specialzed bmx-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt@usa.
The model above the Mirage, called the Super Mirage came with alloys.

do you know anymore information on the super mirage? i just got one im trying to restore
Old 08-26-10, 10:58 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hwdxbassist
do you know anymore information on the super mirage? i just got one im trying to restore
Super Mirage was a everyman's sports/touring bike, good for commuting or leisure rides, not particularly suited to either racing or long-distance touring. It was basically 2-3 up from the bottom of the line with Motobecane's premier racing and touring models having some nicer equipment and fancier tubing/lugwork.

Depending on the year of your Super Mirage, it is likely made of either Vitus or 2030 steel tubing, if it's 2030 it might have cottered cranks (which are a pain).

Post a photo or some details and we'd be happy to give you some additional info.