Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New to the site, looking for some MTB advice/

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-13, 06:49 PM
KSD37

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey my name is Kevin, I ride a Trek 7000 and and a Trek 4300. I just bought the 4300 and it had a skip in it while pedaling hard on the cranks. I changed the crank arms, chain rings, and rear cassette. Had the front, rear derailleur adjusted, and chain checked for wear. The chain checked good and was within specification. With having new front chain rings, rear cassette, and chain within specs I am lost and the problem still persists under hard crank. It seems like the chain skips. I am not certain how old the chain actually is but only that it is within factory specs. Any suggestions on what I should replace next??
Old 02-09-13, 06:54 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome aboard

This question would would be right at home in the Bicycle Mechanics forum. Give me just a second and I'll move the thread there...
Old 02-09-13, 08:33 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Some details would be helpful:

Does it only skip in one or certain gears or gear combinations?
Does it ever skip when not under heavy pedaling pressure?
Does it shift smoothly between all gears?

Without seeing the bike, the only suggestion I have is to check the alignment of the rear derailleur hanger - if it is off by just a small amount it can affect the way the chain interacts with the rear cassette.
Another possible source of the problem is the freehub (the mechanism that allows the rear wheel to turn without the gears and chain turning). If the innnards of the freehub get fouled up or the grease deteriorates, sometimes it will cause skipping.
Old 02-09-13, 08:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5884 Post(s)
Liked 2,727 Times in 1,521 Posts
If it skips in any gear, and tends to skip every few pedal revolutions, a likely cause is a stiff link.

The easiest way to look for a stiff link is to push the RD lower pulley forward to slacken the lower loop until it sags about 1". Then backpedal slowly watching the chain as it comes off the lower pulley. You're looking for a visible hitch or a link that doesn't straighten immediately. If you find a stiff link try to flex it sideways with your thumb on the pin as a fulcrum. Also flush it with solvent, then let it dry and oil it. If you can get the link good enough to ride, it gets better with wear.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-09-13, 11:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4229 Post(s)
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,342 Posts
While not a cure for your problem it's common advice to replace the chain when replacing the cogs. Andy.
Old 02-10-13, 08:09 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 724 Posts
How did you measure the chain and determine that it was "good"? Within what specs? Chain checkers are notoriously inaccurate; the only method I trust is to measure the chain with a good steel rule.

Whatever the measurement, almost by definition a chain which skips on a new cassette should be replaced.