Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bearing wear after 1000 miles

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 09:15 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Just curious, how much wear do you think you'd have on ball bearings in wheels and a square taper bottom bracket after 1000 miles or 1600km?
Old 06-22-19, 10:30 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Good quality races and bearings, properly preloaded and lubed, good seals, no extenuating circumstances and in normal conditions (no high pressure spray wash, etc.), de minimis, basically inperceptible.

Last edited by easyupbug; 06-22-19 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-22-19, 10:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Do you have equipment measure to the 4th decimal fraction . 0.0001 ?
Old 06-22-19, 11:06 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
As others are saying, almost nothing unless there is water/dirt entry, poor adjustment, or lack of appropriate grease. I wouldn't hesitate to ride a properly-adjusted, premium quality non-cartridge square taper on dry roads for 10K miles between re-greasings and adjustment. Maybe replace balls at this point if the races show no sign of scoring. OTOH, if you regularly ride in wet conditions or ride off-road, every thousand or two would probably make sense.

Cartridge square tapers typically have better sealing and should be good for 5K or more between replacements, even in challenging conditions. Fortunately, they're cheap.

- Mark
Old 06-23-19, 09:05 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
Cartridge square tapers typically have better sealing and should be good for 5K or more between replacements, even in challenging conditions. Fortunately, they're cheap.

- Mark
I can’t think of any circumstance, short of routinely cycling underwater, where you would need to replace or even think about a decent cartridge square taper BB at 5k. As long as your BB shell can drain, your cartridge BB should be good for many times that. Case in point, I’ve been running the same Chorus BB since ~2003, putting in ~5k/yr, and it’s still smooth
Old 06-23-19, 11:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
Just curious, how much wear do you think you'd have on ball bearings in wheels and a square taper bottom bracket after 1000 miles or 1600km?
It would depend. Cartridge bearing bottom brackets are good forever...or almost. 50,000 miles would not be unexpected. Loose ball bearings bottom brackets are good for 4000 to 5000 miles if they are of pretty good quality.

The bottom brackets you find in HelMart bikes are good for about 200 miles...yes, two hundred. I see a lot of them at my local co-op. The keeper on the bearings is usually ground to dust and the bearings are often hemispherical. Getting the cups out of the frame can be a challenge as well. They tend to pull apart and seize in the frame. They aren’t cross threaded. They are so weak physically that the whole cup pulls apart in the frame.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-23-19, 12:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,855 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It would depend. Cartridge bearing bottom brackets are good forever...or almost. 50,000 miles would not be unexpected. Loose ball bearings bottom brackets are good for 4000 to 5000 miles if they are of pretty good quality.

The bottom brackets you find in HelMart bikes are good for about 200 miles...yes, two hundred. I see a lot of them at my local co-op. The keeper on the bearings is usually ground to dust and the bearings are often hemispherical. Getting the cups out of the frame can be a challenge as well. They tend to pull apart and seize in the frame. They aren’t cross threaded. They are so weak physically that the whole cup pulls apart in the frame.

Tangent post- Back in the 1970s or 80s the CEO of Huffy said that the average life miles of a Huffy was 76 miles. We joked at work that this meant Huffy were designed to last 77 miles Andy
Old 06-23-19, 01:56 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention I wanted to use this bike in the winter although I keep it indoors after I ride it. My thought right now is to re-grease the wheel bearings after every winter. I was wondering partly because I was thinking either could I give it to a co-op after 5 years or should I get summer wheels for it. (It's not my main bike but has front and rear racks so it's my grocery shopping bike.)
Old 06-23-19, 02:17 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
You can make "seals" for square taper BBs.
Get some squishy foam, like in sofa cushions.
Cut out a small doughnut shape, a bit thicker than the gap between crank arm & BB cup.
Remove cranks.
Slip foam doughnuts over the axle.
Reinstall cranks.

This is my rain bike.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 06-23-19 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 04:08 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention I wanted to use this bike in the winter although I keep it indoors after I ride it. My thought right now is to re-grease the wheel bearings after every winter. I was wondering partly because I was thinking either could I give it to a co-op after 5 years or should I get summer wheels for it. (It's not my main bike but has front and rear racks so it's my grocery shopping bike.)
You can have condensation issues when taking a cold bike into a warmer space.
I'd increase the service frequency.
Why not use the same wheels year round?
Old 06-23-19, 04:23 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
You can make "seals" for square taper BBs.
Get some squishy foam, like in sofa cushions....
If anything, I'd say this would "suck" water and let it seep in slowly, making it even worse, no?
Old 06-23-19, 04:50 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
When I have opened BBs later, they have been in good shape.
It keeps the grit out.
But, I did not do a lot of rain rides.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-23-19, 05:47 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have a road bike with 2 sets of wheels that together have over 122000 miles on them. I overhaul the shimano hubs every 2500 miles or so and replace the radeial bearings on the Suntour fronts as needed. I don't replace balls unless necessary.
I went back to shimano sq. taper BBs and they have over 24000 miles on each of them,
Your weather conditions may call for more frequent maintenance on the hubs.
Old 06-23-19, 06:20 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
You live in Quebec, Canada? A huge place. Where exactly? Quebec city has a much colder climate than Montreal, so winter riding conditions are quite different. Montreal conditions feature many more freeze/thaw cycles than Quebec, so you would have to service your bike much more often in Montreal. If you ride in a suburb, your bike will see much less road salt than if you live in the centre of the city. If you ride most often on main roads your bike will suffer more damage than if you ride on side streets. Only you know about your local routes, if you ride often on heavily salted streets, your bike may well require monthly overhauls from what I have seen of streets in Montreal.
Old 06-23-19, 07:31 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Tangent post- Back in the 1970s or 80s the CEO of Huffy said that the average life miles of a Huffy was 76 miles. We joked at work that this meant Huffy were designed to last 77 miles Andy
Yea, the bikes I’m seeing are ones that people actually think they can ride more than 77 miles.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!