Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Summer 2007 - Your Touring Plans

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Summer 2007 - Your Touring Plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 04:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by sth
Gonna bus to Jasper in mid July and ride from there down to Radium, through the East and West Kootenay and on to Vancouver. Should be about 3 weeks, depending on how long I dawdle around the West Kootenays.

On a slightly related topic, has anyone here ridden from Jasper up to Yellowknife? Machka? From Grand Prairie up, is it worth it?
I've never cycled from Jasper to Yellowknife, but .....

I lived in the Grande Prairie area for 11 years and did quite a bit of cycling around that area. And my family and I drove up to the Hay River area once (the south side of the Great Slave Lake). And I've made the trip between Jasper and Grande Prairie many times.

When I lived in Grande Prairie, Hwy 40 was Forestry Trunk Road 40, and wasn't paved. Just before I left, they had started paving it, and from what I understand, it is all paved now. That would be the quickest way to get to Grande Prairie from Jasper, but it is remote. The only town along the way is Grande Cache. If you prefer a more well-travelled route, head out toward Edmonton, and shortly after you pass Edson, take Hwy 32 up to Whitecourt, and then Hwy 43 the rest of the way into Grande Prairie. That way is pretty remote too, but not quite as completely deserted as the Hwy 40 route.

I've cycled and/or driven pretty much everwhere in a square between Ft. St. John to Peace River to Valleyview to Grande Prairie to Dawson Creek. It's a lovely area. Good roads, not much traffic. Or at least, that's how it was back then.

You'd take Hwy 35 north to the Northwest Territories border. When my family and I drove up there, it was nicely paved and lightly travelled (not much traffic) all the way to the NWT border. But then the highway turned to dust ... not gravel ... dust. By the time we got to where we were camping, my mother and I couldn't even comb our hair because it was so thick with dust. However, it looks like the road is paved now. I don't remember exactly where we camped, but I do remember that it was beautiful, with a waterfall, and a river full of delicious northern pike (and I don't normally like fish!).

I think it would be a good trip ... but just be aware that except for the Grande Prairie area, it would be very remote. If you don't mind cycling for several days between towns, and not seeing too much in the way of people, and if you are prepared to cache your food when you camp at night (there are bears!), and if encountering moose (and all sorts of other wildlife) now and then appeals to you ... then go for it!!

Oh, incidentally, I've also cycled all over between Jasper and Radium and have both cycled and driven between Radium and Vancouver many times. It's beautiful!!
Old 02-11-07, 10:35 PM
teamcompi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its still a little up in the air but we are thinking of flying to Montreal, down into Vermont, Maine, then into New Brunswick, and the rest of the canadian east. We have 2 months....open to suggestions? Help me plan my trip....self supported....motels, bb, campgrounds...cook no cook....100 to 180 kms a day is fine less is ok too if there is lots to do. Oh we are a family 3 girl kids 10, 17,17 and mom and dad.
Old 02-12-07, 01:40 PM
arie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to visit my cousin in Tucson, in April. Try to buy or rent a bike there, borrow some accesoires and tools and head for Albuquerque where another cousin is living. First time USA, so Grand Canyon can't be skipped. And Acoma pueblo. And Sedona. And Bisbee. And ...
Oh God, just an American who wants to do Europe in 7 days.
Back home in May via San Fransisco (some days).
I think I have to come back next year to continue. It's good to have a second bike in Arizona then. (I've got one home, so it's not too decadent I hope!).

Oh, I forget the third cousin in Bismarck, ND. Sorry, Mary Ann. Out of sight but not out of mind!!! Next year!

I wish verybody a good time and if you come to the eastern/northern part of Holland maybe I can be useful and helpful. Just mail.
Arie

Last edited by arie; 02-12-07 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-12-07, 04:33 PM
lighthorse

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Modified TransAm. Oregon to Fl.
Old 02-13-07, 06:26 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided on staying close to home this year so will be riding from Kelowna to Williams Lake then to Bella Coola. From there, take the boat to Port Hardy and down the middle of Vancouver Island to Comox. From there fly back to Kelowna and then ride home to Nelson. I will be doing it in June which is earlier than I would like but my only option. A rainy day on a bike is still better than a good day at work.

This will be my first tour since being married and unfortunately my wife can't join me. I still burn to be on two wheels but I am going to have a hard time leaving her (and my dog) behind.
Old 02-13-07, 10:27 PM
sth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I've never cycled from Jasper to Yellowknife, but .....

I lived in the Grande Prairie area for 11 years and did quite a bit of cycling around that area. And my family and I drove up to the Hay River area once (the south side of the Great Slave Lake). And I've made the trip between Jasper and Grande Prairie many times.

When I lived in Grande Prairie, Hwy 40 was Forestry Trunk Road 40, and wasn't paved. Just before I left, they had started paving it, and from what I understand, it is all paved now. That would be the quickest way to get to Grande Prairie from Jasper, but it is remote. The only town along the way is Grande Cache. If you prefer a more well-travelled route, head out toward Edmonton, and shortly after you pass Edson, take Hwy 32 up to Whitecourt, and then Hwy 43 the rest of the way into Grande Prairie. That way is pretty remote too, but not quite as completely deserted as the Hwy 40 route.

I've cycled and/or driven pretty much everwhere in a square between Ft. St. John to Peace River to Valleyview to Grande Prairie to Dawson Creek. It's a lovely area. Good roads, not much traffic. Or at least, that's how it was back then.

You'd take Hwy 35 north to the Northwest Territories border. When my family and I drove up there, it was nicely paved and lightly travelled (not much traffic) all the way to the NWT border. But then the highway turned to dust ... not gravel ... dust. By the time we got to where we were camping, my mother and I couldn't even comb our hair because it was so thick with dust. However, it looks like the road is paved now. I don't remember exactly where we camped, but I do remember that it was beautiful, with a waterfall, and a river full of delicious northern pike (and I don't normally like fish!).

I think it would be a good trip ... but just be aware that except for the Grande Prairie area, it would be very remote. If you don't mind cycling for several days between towns, and not seeing too much in the way of people, and if you are prepared to cache your food when you camp at night (there are bears!), and if encountering moose (and all sorts of other wildlife) now and then appeals to you ... then go for it!!

Oh, incidentally, I've also cycled all over between Jasper and Radium and have both cycled and driven between Radium and Vancouver many times. It's beautiful!!
Thanks for the input. I may do Vancouver to Yellowknife next year. Either that or the Yukon. I, too think hwy 40 is paved. Despite its remoteness I think it would be a nice ride. There looks to be several campgrounds along the way. Hwy 35 is mostly paved from what I can tell. Other hazards up there are bison which would be kinda neat.

As for this years trip, I am looking forward to it. I have been talking about riding from Nelson to Vanc for many years and have never gotten to it. The challenge for the entire route will be the 9 major passes to climb. I just keep telling myself that it will ultimately be downhill all the way from Jasper to Vanc and so far I seem to be convinced...
Old 02-13-07, 10:30 PM
sth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundoz
I decided on staying close to home this year so will be riding from Kelowna to Williams Lake then to Bella Coola. From there, take the boat to Port Hardy and down the middle of Vancouver Island to Comox. From there fly back to Kelowna and then ride home to Nelson. I will be doing it in June which is earlier than I would like but my only option. A rainy day on a bike is still better than a good day at work.

This will be my first tour since being married and unfortunately my wife can't join me. I still burn to be on two wheels but I am going to have a hard time leaving her (and my dog) behind.
You know about..."The Big Hill" dont you? Up or down, I dont know which would be tougher. The ferry ride should be neat. Got to get it in while they still run it. I am looking forward to getting up to your neck of the woods this year. Its been 2.5 years since I was last in Nelson and that is far too long.
Old 02-13-07, 10:44 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by sth
Thanks for the input. I may do Vancouver to Yellowknife next year. Either that or the Yukon. I, too think hwy 40 is paved. Despite its remoteness I think it would be a nice ride. There looks to be several campgrounds along the way. Hwy 35 is mostly paved from what I can tell. Other hazards up there are bison which would be kinda neat.

As for this years trip, I am looking forward to it. I have been talking about riding from Nelson to Vanc for many years and have never gotten to it. The challenge for the entire route will be the 9 major passes to climb. I just keep telling myself that it will ultimately be downhill all the way from Jasper to Vanc and so far I seem to be convinced...
Bison? Loose and running around? The only bison I've seen here are in pens fattening up for meat.

And yeah, keep telling yourself that!!
Old 02-13-07, 11:26 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sth
You know about..."The Big Hill" dont you? Up or down, I dont know which would be tougher. The ferry ride should be neat. Got to get it in while they still run it. I am looking forward to getting up to your neck of the woods this year. Its been 2.5 years since I was last in Nelson and that is far too long.
I have heard about Heckman Pass and it sounds like the kind of hill that will make a person wish s/he had disc brakes.

I just moved to Nelson and feeling pretty lucky to be here. Nothing but mountains and water (and a lot of hemp clothing).
Old 02-13-07, 11:41 PM
Shemp

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My best year of biking yet!!!

June: TOMROV short weekend group tour from Davenport, IA to Dubuque, IA and back

July: Icefields to Kananaskis to Calgary (self-supported) <- so stoked about this!!!

August: Maah Daah Hey (off-road sagged)
Old 02-13-07, 11:42 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
since i'll be working this summer and doing short 2,3 and 4 day tours, I'm not touring far, I'm touring deep. It gives me a better sense of place.

Everytime I turn a corner around here, there's another path to explore. So many places so close to home.....

I'd like to ride the historic natchez trace wagon road thru the cascades, a couple of lightly traveled mountain passes -wenatchee to ellensburg, and complete some circle loops, and reride some of my favorite regions here, with variations. also, look for the right roads thru some mountain regions i've gotten turned around by the wrong choice of spur road. I'd like to ride Seattle to Spokane in 3 days. also, guerilla camp on mount Saint helens. Seattle to Leavenworth to Seattle is a great trip, every time. this year, i'd like to ride Wenatchee to Blewett pass via mission ridge.

again, a some late spring weekend ski-n-bike touring, this year on the north cascades highway.

Everytime I turn around there's more blue highways, more two track roads to roll along, more little towns to stop in. no need to go far for this old dawg, I like to go deep.

Last edited by Bekologist; 02-14-07 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-14-07, 11:04 AM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So ..... where are you planning to tour/travel during the summer (or spring, or fall) of 2007?
Hello,

I now live in Florida, complete with new job, new apartment, new things to do, etc. My time is tight, and because of my new geographical location, I plan to at least tour throughout Florida for a few weeks. But if I can swing enough time, I'd rather ride from home in Melbourne, northwest into LA, MI, and then north for a while. Specifically, Adventure Cycling has a route through there (Great Rivers Route) which I'd love to try--partly because I've never been to those states.

David in FL
Old 02-15-07, 10:07 AM
lighthorse

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
David,
Glad to hear that there is another tourer in the area. Look at the post in this forum titled "Tallahassee to Orlando." You might get some ideas about Florida touring northwest out of here. I am also headed northwest this year enroute to Oregon. Still putting the route together.
Good luck on your ride.
Old 02-15-07, 03:48 PM
velo2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Denver to Alaska and back. Hoping to hit these along the way: Yellowstone, Banff, Cassier Highway, Arctic Circle, Denali, Seward, Inside Passage, Bay Area. Or as much as I can fit in during my three month leave of absence from work.
Old 02-15-07, 10:06 PM
sth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bison? Loose and running around? The only bison I've seen here are in pens fattening up for meat.

And yeah, keep telling yourself that!!
I googled "cycling to Yellowknife" or something similar a while back and one of the few things that came up was a website by two German guys that cylced there a few years ago. One of the pics on the site was of them passing some bison or buffalo (whatever the diff is). Maybe they arent rampant up there but it would be neat to see some.
Old 02-15-07, 10:10 PM
sth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
again, a some late spring weekend ski-n-bike touring, this year on the north cascades highway.
Nothing like seeing a pic of a bike loaded with tele gear on the way up to some spring skiing...
Old 02-15-07, 10:15 PM
magicant
oo..O.O.o..OO...o

Bikes: Synapse

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'll be riding in Spain and France. Starting in Pamplona for the running of the bulls and traveling to Lourdes, France in the Pyrenees just before the Tour gets to that area. Really looking forward to it. A friend is planning on joining me for the trip.
Old 02-16-07, 05:06 AM
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals

Bikes: Giant Cypress hyrbrid, Giant OCR2, Giant OCRc2, Giant Suede (wife's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
We're planning a 600 or so mile loop tour in Indiana. Lafayette to over by Cincinnati to Evansville, along the Ohio River. Planned state park stops like Clifty Falls,a couple three rest days in Madison, Indiana. That kind of thing. This will be the wifes first ever bike tour!
Sounds like a nice time. I'm also in Indiana, have lost a lot of weight and am diabetic. Are you doing part of the TRIRI route, or putting together a "home grown" tour?
Old 02-16-07, 05:07 AM
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals

Bikes: Giant Cypress hyrbrid, Giant OCR2, Giant OCRc2, Giant Suede (wife's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll go on my first supported tours this summer (Adv Cycling Assoc.)
April: Texas Hill Country (Austin, TX)
June: Cyle the Gorge (Portland, OR)
I'm getting excited!
Old 02-16-07, 01:12 PM
bokes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My gf and I are going on a 'National Parks' tour from Mexico to Canada using Adventure Cycling's Grand Canyon extension -> Western express leg 3 thru Utah to Colorado -> then Great Parks South and North.
Old 02-17-07, 10:45 AM
CoyoteLoco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on a suggestion in response to my earlier post. I will be Amtraking to Whitefish and riding the Going-to-the-Sun Highway. Have about 10 days and need to plan a route. Any books or suggestions? My first tour in about 7 years (kids,marriage,divorce,etc)...
Old 02-17-07, 02:19 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dewbert
Sounds like a nice time. I'm also in Indiana, have lost a lot of weight and am diabetic. Are you doing part of the TRIRI route, or putting together a "home grown" tour?
A Couple of Charlie Meyer's routes, Lafayette to Cincinnati, free routing along the Ohio River Valley, and then Charlie's rout from Evansville to Fort Wayne, up to Lafayette again. Some minor modifications to hit some state parks like Clifty Falls and Turkey Run, etc.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-17-07, 02:40 PM
FidelCastrovich
Patria O Muerte!

Bikes: Pinarello road bike, Marin Kentfield city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Argh, you guys are so lucky to live in such a huge country...Endless roads, plains as far as the eye can see, mountains, oceans, and borders that are nowhere to be found.
Meanwhile, i'm here in tiny Israel surrounded by enemy states, with my USSR-largest-country-in-the-world-plus-conquered-half-of-Europe mentality.
Step out of your home - hit a border. ARgh!

Sorry, had to vent. This forum brings it out in me.
Old 02-17-07, 02:53 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FidelCastrovich
Argh, you guys are so lucky to live in such a huge country...Endless roads, plains as far as the eye can see, mountains, oceans, and borders that are nowhere to be found.
Meanwhile, i'm here in tiny Israel surrounded by enemy states, with my USSR-largest-country-in-the-world-plus-conquered-half-of-Europe mentality.
Step out of your home - hit a border. ARgh!

Sorry, had to vent. This forum brings it out in me.
Other than small area, how's the touring in Israel? I'd be interested for my part!

How does El Al handle bikes?

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-17-07, 04:29 PM
FidelCastrovich
Patria O Muerte!

Bikes: Pinarello road bike, Marin Kentfield city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Other than small area, how's the touring in Israel? I'd be interested for my part!

How does El Al handle bikes?

Well, i haven't done much touring yet. Started cycling seriously only about a year ago. Daily commute to work, road bike on the weekends - the works. Touring is not developed here at all, for obvious reasons. Panniers, racks, touring bikes - nobody stocks these things, and for the most part, you have to import it on your own, or pay ridiculous prices. For example, last week i blew a tire on my commuter. Looked for a 700X32/35 tire for a week, then just ordered a pair Panaracer Paselas from the States - the shops only stock 700X23/25 or 26''.

When i feel like getting away, i hop on my road bike, attach the QR rack, trunk bag - and hit the road. The south is great - desert, empty roads, Dead Sea, Red Sea. Basically, if i leave from home(Jerusalem), i can be in Eilat(most southern point) in two days(about 220 mi.). MT Hermon(the only real mountain here,1600 meters), which is the northern most point, is about two days away too. The north is very very nice, also. The friendly Arab/Druze villages are a treat(most are concentrated in the north).

The real problem here is the drivers and the zero awareness the general public has of cyclists. Hate to get into the ethnicity thing, but Arabs are the worst. Also, there's the security concern also. Many areas you just don't want to come near.

But not everything is so gloomy. Last year our own randonneuring club was established, conducting brevets for the PBP, as well as organizing regular long distance, multi day rides. Road cycling popularity is on the rise, MTB is past its peak and booming. And it's a beautiful country, so there's a lot to see. Its a matter of time before cycling really blossoms here, because the climate is perfect and the landscape is diverse. Although, before long, the government will decide to give up the Golan Heights, and Hermon will be out of reach, and this place will grow tinier still.

Honestly, it's really just my own feeling of being trapped here. I grew up in a huge country, and then moved here, and even though it was at age 11, the mentality stuck, and i can't help feeling that this place is way too small for me. I need the endless roads, the wheat fields that stretch as far as the eye can see...things like that.

If one wishes to do real touring, Europe is the only choice. Which inevitably costs more, and pushes it out of the reach of many cyclists. El-Al - i've heard different stories. Mostly good. Never flown EL-AL, actually. I prefer Lufthansa, KLM or Air France. But from what i hear, EL-AL are pretty bike-friendly. Maybe i'll give them a try this summer.

Going for my morning ride tomorrow , so have to get some sleep.

G'Night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.