Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Post Your Tri Bike!

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Post Your Tri Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 09:02 AM
DreamWeb

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm liking that leader. It looks like a good first tri set-up. Way better than my first tri bike!! How do you like the STI shifters on the end of the aero bars? Seems to me to be a good idea to have both the brakes and shifters in the same place. Although it could get squirley if braking in the aero position. I am never one for a huge drop either. Kills the back after about 50 miles and you really don't save much time over shorter distances by lowering your shoulders. Nice one!
Old 06-12-07, 09:30 AM
joevella

Bikes: Leader 730R TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re: Leader

Thanks! I love having the STI shifters on the Aero bars - I have a secondary brake lever that you can just see poking out on the left bar ( near the elbow pad ) for when I'm not in the Aero.
I'm running 56/39 11/34 Front / rear BTW because of the hilly area around here.
Old 06-12-07, 11:22 AM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the new creation. I built this one personally. It is my first complete build. A lot of fun too!!

Here is the build:
1) Full 2006 DA components; front/rear derailleur, barcons, brake calipers, HG narrow chain, carbon brake pads, and a 10spd 12-25 rear cassette
2) FSA K-force cranks 53/39
3a) 105 clipless pedals ...I know...
3b) Shimano 105 46cm shoes. (Good fit)
4) Blackwell Research 100mm front, disc rear--sold for a HED 3c
5) Cane Creek carbon brake levers--200TT
6) Slic cable 1.5mm brake cable et housing F&R
7) Easton EC70 seatpost
8) Selle San Marco Triathgel saddle
9) FSA Vison carbon integrated aero bar w/ standard bend extensions--(very comfortable!)
10) Token Mono-Q bottle holders (2)
11) Profile Design Aqua Rack and Aero Drink system
12) Cheap aftermarket fork, (Dolce Vita)--I can't make-up my mind on an aero fork-Rigid
13) Token Carbon Titanium bottom bracket w/ ceramic bearings, (Super smooth and fast!!!)
14) Zipp Tangente 21mm tubies, (Sweeeeeeet!)
15) FSA IS8 integrated headset
16) Polar CS300 HRM, Cadence, Speed, etc...
17) Polar Bottle, insulated X4
18) Zipp Ti QR skewers
19) 2006 LOOK 486 5.9(59cm) Frame w/ High Modulus Carbon construction and internally routed rear brake cable. (It's not exactly a Tri-specific frame, but I really like it. It has incredible vibration dampening qualities and is super stiff at the same time. Plus it's F'in sweet looking and handmade in France.)
20) One slightly overweight 220lb 6'3" engine!---Soon to be 185-190lbs

I also have a LAS Chrono aero helmet. I had not heard of LAS until I came across one on the Slowtwitch forums. It is made in Italy and is a one size fits most type. It looks awesome and is very comfortable. I never really liked the visors though. They are not very clear and just get in the way. Luckily it is removeable so I can just use my M-Frames. Like anything made in Italy it is stylish, comfortable and top-notch quality of construction and materials.

Last edited by DreamWeb; 06-12-07 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 11:45 AM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey jovella,

What fork are you using? It doesn't look like the Leader fork. How deep are the blades? I can't decide what fork I want to put on my Look. I'm looking at the Reynolds Ouzo ProAero or the Wolf CL, (the one that comes on Cervelo's P3). I want a deeper rigid fork, like 60mm or more blade width. If anybody has any comments, reviews, or suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 06-12-07, 11:50 AM
joevella

Bikes: Leader 730R TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fork

Blade width is 48mm. It's a "Real Design" bought off e-bay for cheap - but in person, doesn't look any different than any fork I've seen for 3 times the money. Seems to work nice on the Leader. BTW - that Look frame looks awesome ( pun intended - and necessary as well !
Old 06-12-07, 11:57 AM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The UCI has put a limit on fork depth at 50mm, so notmany forks are deeper than that.

The Reynolds is a great choice for a very fast fork.

The only fork deeper than 60mm that I know of is the blackwell research time bandit.
Old 06-12-07, 12:22 PM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yairi

That's simply the shizzle. Those are some SERIOUS extensions. How's she ride?

BTW, can I have your fork? j/k, lol.

Last edited by DreamWeb; 06-12-07 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 12:29 PM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Triguy. I didn't know about the UCI limit. B.R. makes a UCI legal fork too right? If I remember correctly though, it has a bend/rake I think. I definately need a UCI legal fork. There's not much point in getting anything out of spec. I am planning on doing a lot more competing in the very near future. That's why I sold the disc. Well that's one reason. I can't afford to have a stable of high-end wheels and I wanted something that could be ridden at Kona should I make it there some day soon. Discs are not allowed at Kona for some reason. Why does the UCI make >50mm deep fork blades illegal? Never can understand that one. Same as the seat tube angle??

Thanks jovella for the props and the pun. Realdesign huh? I'll have to look into it. I really am partial to Reynolds' forks though. I just don't want to spend another $400.00 right now, ya know.
Old 06-12-07, 01:05 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blackwell does a make a UCI legal fork, actually a fairly priced fork at around $250-260 from my lbs, though I can't comment on it's aerodynamics.

The Reynolds is a fast fork, no doubt about it. Do you need a 1" or 1 1/8"?
Old 06-12-07, 01:07 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The UCI rules are random numbers and come from the same set of ideas that limit tubes to 80mm deep on a frame. No rhyme or reason, just numbers they liked. Just like riding with a seat 5cm behind the bb.

Thank god I only do tris so none of it applies to me.
Old 06-12-07, 01:08 PM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 1/8". The two lbs' around here don't carry any tri-specific components unfortunately. I have to find most of my parts online. I buy from them when I can though.
Old 06-12-07, 01:11 PM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triguy
The UCI rules are random numbers and come from the same set of ideas that limit tubes to 80mm deep on a frame. No rhyme or reason, just numbers they liked. Just like riding with a seat 5cm behind the bb.

Thank god I only do tris so none of it applies to me.

I thought UCI rules applied to triathlon as well. No? What is the rule making body for tri's? It's not USAT is it? Is there a UTI or UTA? Is there a limit for tri forks? I really only do tri's and du's as well. love it! Those numbers do seem random to me. That makes sense, or not.
Old 06-12-07, 01:49 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, UCI applies to international cycling competitions and a select few USA competitions as of this year and as of next year it will apply to most USA cycling competitions.

Triathlon is governed by ITU and USAT. The general rules of the two apply more to safety, such as two working brakes, no recumbants, etc...

I don't believe there is any limit on tri forks.
Old 06-12-07, 02:12 PM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Triguy.

What are you riding? What is your preference for forks? Thanks again for the info. Invaluable.
Old 06-12-07, 02:43 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now I'm riding a similarly shaped fork to yours. It's a Ritchey Pro, nothing spectacular but I got it pretty cheap.

Money no object I would probably get a Blackwell Research Time Bandit or the Oval A900 jetstream.
Because I ride Hed 3s and the Reynolds aero blades are a touch closer together than most, I would not select that fork, however, it should work very well with your BW100. If I rode any wheels but the Hed 3s it would be in my top 3.

Sadly, there is no great aero budget fork. The Blackwell Bandit is about $275, the Wolf TT retails at $275. Those are "cheap" as far as the aero fork market is considered.

Ebay and classifieds are a good option, for instance the Real Design fork shown above is probably a fairly aerodynamic fork taking into account the depth of the blades and I'm guessing they're somewhat narrow.
Old 06-12-07, 03:00 PM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, you're right Triguy. $275.00 is relatively cheap considering. The oval is like what, $500.00 or something like that. I have an easton EC90 but it's 1", and to tell you the truth I really don't care for it anyway. The Blackwell seems to be pretty fairly priced. I will have to research it some time. I still dig the Ouzo but that's another one that is up there in price. I think it retails for $400 or so. I am always checking ebay but so far I haven't found the one yet. There are as couple of Ouzo ProAeros but there are both for 650c. I think they are probabbly spec parts from the factory though anyway. The search will continue on my friends.
Old 06-12-07, 04:28 PM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
Thanks. The chainrings are 55/44. I had to get them big because my wheels are 650s.

I'm not sure how the carbon-rimmed HED3s ride, but mine is great. It's a little less stiff than the Velocity Deep V wheels I usually ride. When I first rode with the HED, I had to stop a couple of times to check if my rear tire had flatted because it felt wobbly. But I'm used to it now so it's fine.
Huh. Is that due to the cassette wobble? I have read a few places that the HED 3's all have a problem with too much lateral "play" in the in the freewheel. It feels like a wrong spacing issue at first but isn't too noticeable after a bit of riding. Also, is yours slightly out of true? I have read as well that all the 3's are never perfectly trued but it doesn't affect performance. It seems with HED wheels either you love em or you hate em. It's like everyone's having a love affair with Zipp wheels right now. I think they have a lot of good ideas and are a revolutionary when it comes to aerodynamics, but there has to be some pretty stiff competition out there. I just wonder about those dimples sometimes. lol.

Last edited by DreamWeb; 06-12-07 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 06:56 PM
bike09er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'07 Guru Cron'Alu

Here is mine. '07 Guru Cron'Alu. Just got the Vision Bars and Fizik saddle. It is awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
guru new bars 001r1.JPG (40.5 KB, 104 views)
Old 07-06-07, 05:03 PM
dissemination

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stock P2SL

Last edited by dissemination; 09-22-07 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 11:19 AM
shnapper
Speed Junky

Bikes: The nice ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisesposito
Here's my new ride - rode it in the first race of the season yesterday.

Here's the build:
2007 QR Lucero frame
FSA SL-K compact carbon crank w/ 50/36 Q-rings
10 speed Dura-Ace shifters, front & rear Der., 12/25 cassette
Zero Gravity Ti brakes
Vision Tech base & aero bars
Tektro carbon brake levers
Bebop pedals & Rocket 7 shoes
Fizik Arione Tri saddle
Zipp 808 clincher front
American Classic 420 w/powertap SL hub & disc wheel cover / zipp 808 rear clincher w/Powertap Pro hub
Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX tires & latex tubes

I like the Qroo bikes as well as many other hi-end TT bikes. I finally made my decision after riding a P2C and P3C because at 190+ lbs and my style of riding I prefer a stiff frame. I liked the lucero and felts, but they weren't for me as much as the bike I chose. Nice bike you have there, I'll post pics of mine as soon as I can..........
Old 07-12-07, 01:15 AM
digitoast

Bikes: 1999 Haro Escape A7.3, 2005 Giant OCR1 (SOLD), 2006 Cervélo Soloist Team, 2007 Salsa ElGoGo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update to my ride:
I finally settled for a wheelset after trying out lots of various deep rim options.
And.. I still can't believe that I built everything up (new, as pictured) for less than the cost of my stock Soloist Team.
(original post)

Last edited by digitoast; 07-12-07 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-14-07, 10:02 PM
WxGuesser

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo S3, Fuji SL1, Felt TK2, Cervelo P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked me up a ride today... I've never seen ksyrium es' on a tri bike.. should i swap them from my road bike?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2926.JPG (91.1 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by WxGuesser; 07-14-07 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-14-07, 11:56 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeet.

Actually Ksyriums are usually the 2nd most used wheel at Kona every year. I would keep them on the P2C. Enjoy the ride!!!
Old 07-15-07, 12:12 AM
WxGuesser

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo S3, Fuji SL1, Felt TK2, Cervelo P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I already went ahead and swapped them. I guess when i get my 808's i'll put the es' back on the road bike!
Old 07-15-07, 02:09 PM
durk onion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is my updated bike. Check out the super fancy, rare, custom ochroma lagopus fiber aero seatpost. I love this bike. Now only if it could somehow change the humidity around here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.