Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Icentive Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-16, 03:12 PM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Icentive Needed

I have a question most suitable for more seasoned Clydes.
Trying not to get out the fiddle,
I got the bike out this spring, the number of cars and speed the go made me chicken out.
I still have a local bike trail, but my nature is to ride only if I have somewhere to go.
I had a touring buddy, My fault I think, but he hates my guts.
I need an excuse, besides, loose weight, cardio and just plain good for me.
If I could get a job counting the daisies at the side of the trail,,that would help.
Old 10-06-16, 03:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Most of my riding is commuting & errands. The miles add up quickly. Some of it may just require more time on the road. Just find safe places to ride and get used to the safer neighborhood rides, and slowly expand to busier roads. Lots of theories about lane positioning. I always stay right around cars, except for those occasions when I'm making a left turn or similar instances when circumstances more or less dictate "taking the lane".

Vigilance and following the rules of the road are keys to staying alive.

I joined Strava last year, and lately have been doing their challenges. No big deal either way, but they set goals of say 800 miles a month, and 9000 meters climbing.

But you also get a note show up with 25%, 50%, & 75%, so you could join the mileage challenge, but consider your goal to be 200 miles, or 25%.
Old 10-06-16, 03:36 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Explore! Seek out new places to ride your bike. Look at the architecture, flora, whatever interests you. When I got my first bike 3 years ago I just rode around my neighborhood, looking at the different houses and guessing when they were built. I live in a subdivision created 50-60 years ago, with some mid-century modern beauties mixed with many cookie cutter homes. I started going all over to see how the neighborhood developed.
Old 10-07-16, 11:32 AM
NYSteve

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I need an excuse, besides, loose weight, cardio and just plain good for me."

Really?
Old 10-07-16, 11:54 AM
SugarMonkey

Bikes: MTB, hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the go out and explore.

I realized just yesterday as I was riding through the farm land, that the view was spectacular. I also like to ride through this one particular street/neighborhood because of all the crazy houses
Old 10-07-16, 12:05 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I like to get out and go for distance (trying to get farther each time when I have the time to do so... currently 50 miles is my longest distance), but I like to meander when I do so and hit a coffee shack or two, and visit with my fellow locals.

That said I am waiting for the UPS man, and it is raining outside (but not hard enough to get the deer moving) so I need to set up the trainer and go for a ride.
Old 10-07-16, 12:08 PM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I've been in the same boat.

The ride to work depresses me sometimes. Others here encouraged me to go out and ride for fun, and I thought that was very good advice. I'm still not riding as much as I want to, but I have been having fun. I've been going to a lot of tourist-y places in my town, even the familiar looks different and new from my bike.

I never had a touring buddy. But it sounds nice. Maybe... make amends?

Last edited by Bikeforumuser0019; 10-07-16 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-07-16, 12:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by NYSteve
"I need an excuse, besides, loose weight, cardio and just plain good for me."

Really?
How about cycling so that you can eat MORE

Most of my rides are pretty short, burning maybe 1000 calories... But, that would be enough to warrant an extra burger.

My longer rides just put the estimated calorie consumption through the roof. My last ride, Strava estimated over 17,000 calories in 4 days, and I wonder if it was low as it didn't include the additional gear weight. So plenty for a couple extra Big Macs.

Long term health, however, should be a major consideration. KNEES? ANKLES? PAIN?
Old 10-07-16, 01:01 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Incentive has to come from within. Nothing worked for me until one day it was the right time. There's not much fun about getting control of this stuff other than seeing a good trend on a scale or whatever, so if some part of you doesn't want to do it you'll just keep finding reasons not to.

My advice is to find some quiet time and just think about the positives of getting in shape. You'll probably find enough reasons to get you over the hump.
Old 10-07-16, 01:07 PM
RECfromPA

Bikes: 2016 Rivendell Joe Appaloosa, 2017 Handsome Cycles She-Devil

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If your nature is to only ride when you have someplace to go, start there and seek out back roads with less traffic and wider shoulders.

In college, I rode to my classes and meetings. My first foray into cycling as an adult was 25 years ago to go places. I had a rack and two collapsible wire baskets. Instead of taking my car for a short (less than 5 miles each way), I rode to grocery store, library, drug store, community concerts, doctor appointments, and violin lessons. These short jaunts can add up and don't feel like work.

These days, I ride to feel better--forget about the stresses of working and to enjoy the air, sunshine and flowers. I FEEL better with my exercise, so that is enough in itself to get me on my bike. Like you, I don't like riding around cars, so I found a couple of bike paths and a few less driven streets. I work in a business park, so ride it after work; hardly any cars. I also ride around the local regional airport (no cross traffic). The reward? I feel better, am happier at the end of the ride, sleep better.

BTW, I am new to riding here. I've really only done it for about 3-4 months and once you start riding consistently, you'll be amazed how much better you'll feel. You are only 4 months behind me if you start today.
Old 10-07-16, 02:29 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Yes, not wanting to ride around town because you feel like you should only ride if you have somewhere to go sounds a bit like route boredom to me. That's what happened to me when I started riding 10+ miles around town every morning. It's a small town, so after 1/2 mile you've already reached the other end of town. So to make up 10 miles I have to ride up & down the streets a lot. I solved the boredom problem by mounting a small amplified speaker to my handlebars and listening to old radio plays. Since they last about 45 minutes, that's perfect for my 10 mile rides.
Old 10-07-16, 03:28 PM
SugarMonkey

Bikes: MTB, hybrid

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've taken to my long rides being to small towns in the surrounding area. Last weekend I went "I've never been to Sadorus, let's do this!" and ended up with a 30+ mile adventure. Got rained on some, waved at by a bunch of farmers in their combines, and realized I hadn't actually worked enough to warrant eating the one Gatorade gel I tried. Tasted like a gross salty vitamin chew.
Old 10-07-16, 03:38 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
incentive needed? man just ride!!! Don't over think $hit, just ride

ride 3-5days a week for 4 weeks and come back here with a smile on your face a few pounds less.

Better hurry up before it snows.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-08-16, 09:42 AM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys for the posts, I just had business deal fall through, so I may just go site seeing,,,on my Trucker.
Old 10-11-16, 06:28 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
How did your Long Haul Trucker ride go?
Did you get inspired? If I am uninspired when I leave on a ride, something magical usually coalesces during the ride that carries its own inertia. For me I love to perfect my spinning, perfect my bike fit, work on climbing out of the saddle, relaxation breathing etc...
Old 10-11-16, 06:45 PM
Flatbroke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You Owe us for one jelly doughnut! Move your bike Pile
Old 10-11-16, 07:09 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nycycle
I need an excuse, besides, loose weight, cardio and just plain good for me.
Seems like you have enough excuses already. Losing weight, cardio, and plain good for you are reasons. Find more reasons to get out.
Old 10-12-16, 01:41 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Do you track your rides with anything that can cross post to social media? I found and still do that the feedback I get from friends near and far is encouraging to all my activities. Riding, racing or even that criminal activity running.
Old 10-12-16, 04:34 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Try Coffeeneuring! https://chasingmailboxes.com/category/coffeeneuring/

I like to find new places to go! Or pick a different neighborhood to explore. I like main streets, and founding routes to all! Stopping for coffee, brunch, lunch or even the farmers market!
Old 10-14-16, 11:22 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Do errands or commute by bike? Bike date with a SO? Like pedal 10 miles to a park and eat/coffee? Take a train or bus 20 miles from your home, with your bike and pedal back. Explore new roads, towns scenic sights?
Old 10-14-16, 01:31 PM
RECfromPA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leebo
Do errands or commute by bike? Bike date with a SO? Like pedal 10 miles to a park and eat/coffee? Take a train or bus 20 miles from your home, with your bike and pedal back. Explore new roads, towns scenic sights?

My first "long ride" (it ended up being 31 miles), I rode out of town along a bike path that paralleled a train route. I rode until I was nearly exhausted (THAT I don't recommend; I would recommend riding only until it's not fun) and then just hopped on the train and enjoyed an leisurely trip back home. What was really nice about doing it this way, is that I didn't have to preplan the amount of miles that I was going to do that day, which certainly wouldn't have been as many.

For OP, funny thing is that just two weeks later, I rode again the same route, but turned around after 19 miles. I truly expected to do the last 5 miles by bus. Funny thing is that this 38 mile trip didn't feel nearly as difficult as the 31 mile trip just two weeks earlier. It is AMAZING how fast you can start feeling better. So, ride a little every few days! Every time you ride you'll be able to go a little farther and a little faster and it won't seem like more effort and you will feel better.

Leebo--I am also going to do your suggestion, too, sometimes. It's funny, just going in the opposite direction can make the same route seem different. I love your idea of biking somewhere and taking a wonderful break with good cup of coffee or special treat (caloric or not).
Old 10-14-16, 02:07 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Philly? Plenty to do and see. Coffee runs, movies, places to see etc. Ride, rest repeat. Start there. Ride ten miles to the bike stors, REI or to get a loaf of bread, farmers market or such.
Old 10-14-16, 02:54 PM
RECfromPA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leebo
Philly? Plenty to do and see. Coffee runs, movies, places to see etc. Ride, rest repeat. Start there. Ride ten miles to the bike stors, REI or to get a loaf of bread, farmers market or such.

If the weather is nice, I plan on riding from home (I live downtown, Center City) to Valley Forge and back. Miles may vary depending on how far I go into the park (45-50 estimate; it will be my longest ride), but hopefully at least to the visitor's center to park the bike, rest, enjoy the history, and ride back.

I cannot believe that my first ride this season was only 5 miles! Still I'll have to leave about 5 hours for this ride, not counting the resting and VF stops. I'll have a bus token in my pocket, just in case...
Old 10-14-16, 03:02 PM
mileslong

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
incentive = N+1

It sounds to me like you need a mountain bike...