Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How long has it been since you bought your last bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 09:07 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I bought my touring bike (which has only been used as a commuter) 10 years ago. The following year, I bought a carbon fiber road bike (the frame broke about 2 years ago... was ready to buy another, but cannondale replaced the frame with a 2015 model.) I'm pretty happy with how these bikes have served me. I don't foresee buying a replacement for either within the next 10 years - unless some truly fabulous new technology comes along that is just impossible to live without. I guess the only thing, at this point, that would make me consider buying a bike, is buying a completely different kind of bike... I occasionally look at mountain bikes, but realistically, I just don't have time for it.

In our 50's and beyond, many of us have the means to buy what we want... are you replacing your bikes frequently? Or happy with what you've had for a long time? Is there a new cycling development that has you thinking it's time for a new bike?
Old 06-02-17, 09:27 PM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Specialized Allez Sport turned 25 this year. I suppose it would be nice to upgrade but, frankly, I just haven't had much incentive to do it.

I've been giving some thought to test riding a titanium bike or maybe carbon fiber just to touch base with the modern era but, so far, I'm sticking with good old n+0.
Old 06-02-17, 09:28 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
April 4th.
Old 06-02-17, 09:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
I haven't bought a bike since 1968, but I built the "new" bike in 2002, using Chorus 10s aluminum components.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-02-17, 10:23 PM
johnlp37

Bikes: '88 Centurion Ironman, '97 Jamis Eclipse,'84 Ron Stout, '89 Miyata 1400, '82 Miyata 1000,'88 Schwinn Tempo, '84 Fuji Touring Series IV

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
8 days ago. N+9. Miyata 1000.
Old 06-02-17, 10:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Jan. 2000 for a new bike. 2007 for our used (2003) tandem. The 2000 purchase was a carbon road bike, my perfect bike. I doubt I'll ever buy another. Tandem, we'll age out long before we wear it out, and crazy to think of amortizing a $12,000 tandem over our remaining cycling years.
Old 06-02-17, 10:44 PM
Zurichman2

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
About a month ago. After being hit by a drunk's mirror back in Jan with no injury I don't feel confident training after dark anymore. So reading and doing a lot of Research over the Easter weekend I bought a new 2016 Raleigh Tamland 1 after finding the Corporate discount code here. I am in to ultra distant riding so I am now all about seeing if the ultra gravel rides can inflict some pain.

Zman
Old 06-03-17, 12:39 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Lol, June 1, 2017, 1980's Bianchi MTB with biplane fork.
Old 06-03-17, 01:09 AM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am 54 yo and I quit riding about 8 years ago. Road biking in the summer and mountain biking in the winter. I used to ride 300-400 miles a week. I always had top end mountain bikes but I've only had bargain road bikes. I ordered a carbon fiber road bike with electronic shifters just yesterday. I'm retired now and can afford a better bike. I let myself get in pitiful shape in 8 years, I gained 80 lb's and my blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol are all creeping up on me. I've been retired nearly 4 years now and in all that time I've just sit around and watched sports on TV. I have come to the conclusion that if I want to live another 40 years I'm gonna have to get active again. I can't wait to get my new bike, I've always loved riding.
Old 06-03-17, 02:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A year in August 2016. A 1992 Univega hybrid type rigid mountain bike. That's become my favorite bike for rides up to 50-60 miles.

Before than a year, August 2015, when I resumed cycling after 30 years away. A comfort hybrid that I still use for errands.

I'm gradually trying to get my back and neck back into condition to try a drop bar road bike. If things go well I'll consider another bike this summer or fall. I'd like to try something a little lighter and more aerodynamic to get more miles into the same riding time. I don't pay too much attention to speed for its own sake, but over the course of a solo century, it would be nice to average 16 mph rather than 12-14 mph and finish before midnight.
Old 06-03-17, 03:58 AM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
1980: Fuji Royal
1982: Fuji Del Rey
2012: Giant Advanced Defy 0
2012: Trek Domane 6.2 P1 with Di2
2017: Specialized Roubaix Pro Di2 (on order)
Old 06-03-17, 04:23 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK
I am 54 yo and I quit riding about 8 years ago. Road biking in the summer and mountain biking in the winter. I used to ride 300-400 miles a week. I always had top end mountain bikes but I've only had bargain road bikes. I ordered a carbon fiber road bike with electronic shifters just yesterday. I'm retired now and can afford a better bike. I let myself get in pitiful shape in 8 years, I gained 80 lb's and my blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol are all creeping up on me. I've been retired nearly 4 years now and in all that time I've just sit around and watched sports on TV. I have come to the conclusion that if I want to live another 40 years I'm gonna have to get active again. I can't wait to get my new bike, I've always loved riding.

We're happy to have riding again! 80 lbs gain is a bugger to lose, but with a controlled intake of calories and their source, and moderate exercise it can be gone in a couple of years. If you really buckle down with the diet and exercise, it will be gone in a year! Keep yer head up, kid!
Old 06-03-17, 06:28 AM
2ering

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de France, 2003 Trek Madone 5.9, 2007 Co-Motion Americano, 2017 Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Became intrigued by the Pinion transmission and am waiting for a Divide to be delivered to my lbs from Co-Motion. It will replace my 2007 Americano for touring. I am also contemplating replacing my 2004 Trek Madone 5.9 with something having Di2...just because.
Old 06-03-17, 08:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
I bought my touring bike (which has only been used as a commuter) 10 years ago. The following year, I bought a carbon fiber road bike (the frame broke about 2 years ago... was ready to buy another, but cannondale replaced the frame with a 2015 model.) I'm pretty happy with how these bikes have served me.

I don't foresee buying a replacement for either within the next 10 years - unless sometruly fabulous new technology comes along that is just impossible to live without. I guess the only thing, at this point, that would make me consider buying a bike, is buying a completely different kind of bike... I occasionally look at mountain bikes, but realistically, I just don't have time for it.

In our 50's and beyond, many of us have the means to buy what we want... are you replacing your bikes frequently? Or happy with what you've had for a long time? Is there a new cycling development that has you thinking it's time for anew bike?
Hey
@InTheRain,

Surprise, Surprise... Just a few minutes ago I replied to another recent thread of yours on the Commuting Forum. My most recent bike purchase was in August 2016, a Specialized Diverge Elite aluminum bike to supplant my heavy-duty Cannondale Mountain Bike as a beater.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…After 40 years of cycle commuting on a year-round minimal one-way 14 mile route [and some road cycling], I have this year finally assembled IMO, the perfect bicycle fleet:
  • One nearly year-round dry, clean-road bike (carbon fiber road bike,except for deep winter with lingering salt)
  • One year-round wet,dirty-road bike (aluminum road bike, just recently acquired [outfitted with 30 C studded tires for winter, trunk bag with fold–out panniers, computer, clipless pedals and fenders]
  • One winter bike for anything (steel mountain bike with Marathon Winter studded tires always on, for the least possibility of ice; I could use it for trails without the studs, but I don't do that kind of riding).
The first two bikes are smooth, easy riding,and easy to carry upstairs; the third is a heavy and significantly tougher ride…

Now,the Cannondale is reserved completely for miserable studded-tire riding,and I'm happy about that, and my riding needs are completely met. I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini, a Lexus, and a Humvee.
Actually, this past winter, which was mild for New England, I didn't ride the Cannondale mountain bike at all, just used the Diverge Elite.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-03-17 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 08:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I bought a 2nd hand Bike Friday Season (IGH) Tikit last month, Sram 9 speed close ratio hub..

Getting to prefer the step thru frame nature of folding bikes.
Old 06-03-17, 08:46 AM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Lol, June 1, 2017, 1980's Bianchi MTB with biplane fork.

Nice looking bike!

Last year, I bought my Electra Loft. So far this year I've resisted the urge of N+1, but there's this sharp looking Miyata 312 that's been on CL for about a month that is tempting me.
Old 06-03-17, 08:56 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by welshTerrier2
My Specialized Allez Sport turned 25 this year. I suppose it would be nice to upgrade but, frankly, I just haven't had much incentive to do it.

I've been giving some thought to test riding a titanium bike or maybe carbon fiber just to touch base with the modern era but, so far, I'm sticking with good old n+0.
Hi @wT2,

Always nice to see a post from you. FYA,you know how I ride, and I have posted my own description of going from a fine steel bike to CF:
I made the switch from steel to carbon, and I started out wondering the same, if the quality of carbon fiber would justify the premium cost. I have previously posted on several threads:
Originally Posted by Rowan
…** Performance in this context does not mean outright speed because that is down to the person riding it and their strength and endurance. But rather is in the quality of the shifting, braking, ride,handling through corners and over rough surfaces, aerodynamics and (dare I say it) comfort.
I own a CF and have joined several such discussions.

IMO, Rowan's comment about various dimensions of performance being important in various ways to the valuation of the cyclist justifies the cost to the purchaser, and unlike speed is not necessarily quantifiable. I have posted my justifications as:
The [steel] Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style.Well, the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off…

Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle,so that puts it in perspective for me.
My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red.

I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting, making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end

At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I might be missing.”
I had tested a few different (cheaper) CF bikes for short rides, and they all seemed “nice.” I think it took me a while to really appreciate the quality of my current bike, which as noted I bought virtually on a recommendation. After four years I'm happy with my choice; in a word I describe the ride as "ethereal."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-03-17 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 09:06 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
A little over three years. I'm in the market now for a cheap, mountain BSO to use on some easy dirt trails in the local forest preserves...but haven't pulled the trigger for one yet.

Old 06-03-17, 09:27 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I usually end up buying frame & fork as I want it my way . Last purchase, early May, is a 70s(?) Zeus.
First bike with foil decals and the only green bike to be joining the fleet.

Looking for Zeus panto'd parts!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Z seat tube resize.jpg (95.3 KB, 317 views)

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-03-17 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 01:32 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Still riding my '81 Mike Melton, '82 Stumpjumper, '84 Alex Moulton and '87 Dahon. Just so happens, though, in celebration of my 60th last month I put money down on a brand new machine. I'm still waiting for it to get delivered from China.
Old 06-03-17, 02:11 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
A year ago I bought a Priority Eight as my daily commuter. The tech I wanted was belt drive and disc brakes. Also got IGH and room for wide tires.

My randonneuring bike is about 4 years old. I could see moving to disc brakes and S&S couplers. I'd like room for wider tires than my current model, and fender mounts so I don't have to McGyver it. I'll consider electronic shifting, tubeless, and CF - none of which are considered favorably by conventional long-distance thinking. We'll see.

Since MTB is huge here (and road kind of sucks), I'm considering stepping into the MTB world. Tubeless and disc brakes are attractive. Probably single-speed rigid.

Right now I'm riding a recumbent on road. Since I plan to break the 100 y/o age-group hour record when I'm 100, and since recumbents are not allowed, I'll be shopping for a UCF legal road bike in about 40 years. It's hard to say what the tech will be then.
Old 06-03-17, 03:00 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I've been on my Kettler Alu-Rad every workday for 16 years and something around 50,000 miles. The sidewall generator is now a hub dynamo, the lights are LED, the fenders are now stainless steel, the saddle is a Brooks B67, and the front brake is a Sturmley Archer drum. In other words, it has mutated a lot. It may change more -- I'd like to change the Nexus 7 for a Rohloff to get a wider gear range.
Old 06-03-17, 03:18 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I wanted a new shopper. Already have the man-basket; so I went for the cheapest o' the cheap. It's in my genes . . . never knew you could still get a traditional non gimmicky no suspension Mountain bike for £80.

Well, it's just a basic bike really, but I was so intrigued i had to buy it . . . AND the shop fit it together, AND service it after 6 weeks . . . for free!

i pick it up Wed morn.

Last edited by peterws; 06-06-17 at 05:38 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-03-17, 03:52 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
April 22, 2017 built up a 1992 Bill Davidson frame (never been ridden) with 2017 Campy Potenza group had the Mavic Ksyrium ES wheelset from my racing days.
Attached Images
Davidson 1992.jpg (89.1 KB, 300 views)
Old 06-03-17, 05:35 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
1996, and the danged thing rides better and better every year.

From 1996 to 2003, I also ran a very large, successful bicycle recycling program for teenagers. We had such a huge following that bike manufacturers used to offer me freebies just to get their brands in front of our young members. So I have test-ridden "better" and more expensive bikes, but I never accepted any of these gifts. I just love my 1996 steel GT Outpost.

I've had the opportunity to work and ride on V-Brakes (my wife's bike has them) and I gave my neighbor's 29er with disc brakes a spin, but I personally wasn't inspired by either of these technologies to consider a new bike. The advances that have caught my attention over the years have been mostly in lighting systems and other accessories that can be easily adapted to what I already own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.