Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Never seen that before.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Never seen that before.

Old 06-19-19, 02:50 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Never seen that before.

I was on a grocery run this morning, driving along, and this kitted up, fit looking racer dude was working the traffic, on a racy new Trek. We both stopped at a light, and I was checking him out. He reaches into his pocket, I thought to grab an energy gel or something, and pulls out one of those e-cig vape things and starts blowing smoke. Unbelievable. I see derelict looking old dudes (I'm 70) on clunker mtn bikes with cigs hanging out if their mouth, but this racer looking dude? It just looked wrong. Not to be too judgemental, 😉, the guy could probably kick my butt on the bike, but an e-cig, really? Strange times we live in.

Cogs, not cigs.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 06-19-19, 02:56 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I've seen professional athletes that smoke. I wonder if he started vaping or switched to it from smoking.

That's the thing. People are starting to vape rather than smoke tobacco and they still get addicted. I smoked for 15 years and finally kicked it and there is no way on God's green earth that I will allow myself to get addicted to nicotine ever again.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 06-19-19, 03:00 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I was on a grocery run this morning, driving along, and this kitted up, fit looking racer dude was working the traffic, on a racy new Trek. We both stopped at a light, and I was checking him out. He reaches into his pocket, I thought to grab an energy gel or something, and pulls out one of those e-cig vape things and starts blowing smoke. Unbelievable. I see derelict looking old dudes (I'm 70) on clunker mtn bikes with cigs hanging out if their mouth, but this racer looking dude? It just looked wrong. Not to be too judgemental, 😉, the guy could probably kick my butt on the bike, but an e-cig, really? Strange times we live in.

Cogs, not cigs.
Are you sure it was tobacco?
Likes For mercator:
Old 06-19-19, 03:09 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator
Don't know, not up to speed on e-cigs or anything else that smokes. Do Clif bars have a smoke option now?
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 06-19-19, 04:13 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Could be a weed pen as well
Old 06-19-19, 04:17 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
vaping doesn't destroy your lungs like smoking, so maybe they made the switch to get away from smoke. and if it was thc, that makes a lot of sense. i myself enjoy a safety meeting before/during a long ride to help with any discomforts.
Old 06-19-19, 04:33 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
vaping doesn't destroy your lungs like smoking, so maybe they made the switch to get away from smoke. and if it was thc, that makes a lot of sense. i myself enjoy a safety meeting before/during a long ride to help with any discomforts.
The jury is still out on vaping, because it hasn't been around long enough. Certainly the vaping suppliers will tell everyone it's safe; but that's what tobacco companies did for decades.

Vaping uses your lungs in a way they weren't designed for: delivering chemicals to your bloodstream. Even without smoke, I see the potential for problems.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 06-19-19, 04:40 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
i'm not saying it's "safe", per se, but not as harsh on your airbags as inhaling smoke. i know a few active people who got hooked on tobacco when they were younger and have switched to vaping to feed their addiction without coughing up a lung or needing to sit down and catch their breath every time they encounter a hill
Likes For t_e_r_r_y:
Old 06-19-19, 05:12 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
My SO and I both used to be militant chain smokers, and we both found ecigs/vaping helpful for giving up cigarettes. It can certainly help with the psychological addiction that a lot of smokers have. There are also different strengths of 'juices', so one can slowly wean oneself off nicotine by vaping with gradually less nicotine. After a month of ecigs and no analog cigarettes, my lungs felt tidy and clean (no coughing up weird stuff after exercise.)

I no longer vape or smoke, but still use nicotine through other delivery methods. From time to time, I'm having nicotine while riding a fancy road bike in full kit.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 06-19-19, 05:19 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
He reaches into his pocket, I thought to grab an energy gel or something, and pulls out one of those e-cig vape things and starts blowing smoke. Unbelievable. I see derelict looking old dudes (I'm 70) on clunker mtn bikes with cigs hanging out if their mouth, but this racer looking dude? It just looked wrong. Not to be too judgemental, 😉, the guy could probably kick my butt on the bike, but an e-cig, really? Strange times we live in.

Cogs, not cigs.
Not to be judgemental, really? Yeah sure, whatever you say; strange times indeed.
Old 06-19-19, 06:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I know there was a meta-analysis of all the studies to date on vaping, and the only confirmed hazard was exploding batteries.

Nicotine itself is pretty benign stuff, albeit addictive. It's the other stuff in tobacco that kills.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-19-19, 10:57 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Cigarette companies want vaping banned because it's cutting into their customer base, and therefore their bottom line.

It's not smoke, so it's nowhere near as dangerous as a cigarette, unless the battery goes kablooey.

And as someone who grew up when smoking was outright commonplace, I'm 100% fine with all of the vape folks out there. I'll take strawberry waffles or pina colada or whatever smell is coming out of their vapor cloud over tobacco smoke, any day of the week.

Personally, I'll stick to my caffeine addiction. No need to add an addiction that requires special apparatus.
Old 06-20-19, 01:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I see that a lot in large groups of cyclists. It's usually CBD or THC, not nicotine vape. They'll take one or two puffs at most throughout a 2 hour or so ride. They aren't puffing constantly like addicted tobacco smokers.

I wouldn't use THC in a group ride because I prefer to be at 100%. However some of my riding acquaintances are combat vets with disabilities. They say with regular use you build up a tolerance to the psychoactive effects of THC but it continues to help with chronic and acute pain. They sure don't seem high so I'll take their word for it.

But I use oral CBD for pain -- oil from droppers or capsules. It has a tiny amount of THC, less than 0.5%, which works with the CBD to be more effective than the THC-free isolates. It's very effective, no side effects to my alertness and reflexes. But I don't vape because I'm extremely prone to asthma and bronchitis. I tried vaping CBD a few times last year when someone else offered and it tended to constrict my trachea.
Old 06-20-19, 01:29 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Vaping uses your lungs in a way they weren't designed for: delivering chemicals to your bloodstream. Even without smoke, I see the potential for problems.
Oxygen is a chemical.
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 06-20-19, 03:58 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Oxygen is a chemical.
one the lungs happened to be designed for. Strange that.
Old 06-20-19, 04:21 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
one the lungs happened to be designed for. Strange that.
The lungs were designed to take in any chemical you breathe in and pass it to the bloodstream There’s no rule that’s says it’s only designed for oxygen. Nitrogen, CO2 etc are all part of the air we breathe and we take all of that in regardless of whether or not it’s bad for you.
Likes For luevelvet:
Old 06-20-19, 04:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
The jury is still out on vaping, because it hasn't been around long enough. Certainly the vaping suppliers will tell everyone it's safe; but that's what tobacco companies did for decades.

There's actually a fair amount of data, and there's no evidence that those problems are real. I can see a potential problem with pretty much everything, that's meaningless.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-20-19, 05:09 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Assuming his bike was made of asploding prone carbon fiber, adding the vape contraption means things could get fiery in a flash. I'd be sure stay clear!
Old 06-20-19, 05:15 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
i myself enjoy a safety meeting before/during a long ride to help with any discomforts.
I always find it interesting to see how widespread that euphemism is. I first came across it doing construction work in Alabama during the ‘80s.
Likes For ted_major:
Old 06-20-19, 05:16 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

Cogs, not cigs.
Recreational bike riders in cycling gear occasionally vape.
That’s your barometer for strange times?
Old 06-20-19, 05:28 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts

I'm with you on this ^

I can remember when medical doctors said smoking cigarettes wouldn't harm you. Turns out they were REAL wrong.
Old 06-20-19, 05:47 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I smoked for 30 years. I started when I was only 13 years old. I tried everything to quit, but was never able to actually do it. Gum, patches, Chantix, even acupuncture. The only thing that worked for me was e-cigarettes. I am sucking on one while I am typing this. No, they aren't safe (the user is putting a foreign substance into their body), but they are significantly safer than inhaling smoke from burning organic & synthetic materials. I feel worlds better and my lung function is better. My doctor is happy that I have given up smoking. FWIW, nicotine is no more dangerous than caffeine. The dangerous part of cigarettes is the thousands of toxins that are in the smoke. If you think of the nicotine as a medication (nicotine patches, gum, etc.), then I can confirm that e-cigarettes are probably one of the most effective delivery methods for someone who is trying to quit. Asthmatics use this delivery path regularly for their medications - which help them breathe. Yes, they put a foreign substance into their lungs to help them breathe.

With all of this being said, and the fact that I am a proponent of e-cigarettes, I am only a proponent to the point that it is a useful tool to help smokers quit cigarettes. If you don't smoke, don't start smoking or vaping. Finally, I always question the people who speak badly of e-cigarettes & ask them why they want to take a tool away from someone who could use it to quit smoking. It almost seems like they want people to keep smoking.

BTW, yes, I vape while riding my bikes.
Old 06-20-19, 06:07 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
https://www.******.com/r/OldSchoolCo...ding_the_tour/
Old 06-20-19, 06:11 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts

The same can said for energy gels. Our bodies weren’t designed to take simple processed carbohydrates in through our stomachs. Medications in general are not natural. Tell a diabetic that his body wasn’t designed to take insulin through a needle. Tell an asthmatic that his lungs weren't designed for a nebulized chemical that will stop his asthma attack. Nicotine administration via the buccal and dermal routes have been accepted for years even though neither route was intended for chemical administration. Nobody found fault with those because they couldn't see them. Unless you are a 100% natural person, you cannot single out any one item claiming that our bodies weren’t designed for it.

The issue with vaping is more of a social stigma that is associated with cigarette smoking than anything else. If we viewed vaping as a medication utilized by former smokers to stop smoking, we would embrace it. Instead, we grasp at straws, trying to find any reason we can to claim it is dangerous because we don't like it and we don't even know why we don't like it.

Last edited by medic75; 06-20-19 at 08:00 AM.
Likes For medic75:
Old 06-20-19, 06:12 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
Here vaping is combined into what I would call the hipster bundle. Vape, tattoos, big beard, pit bull.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.