Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just purchased myself an ‘89 Miyata 912

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-24-19, 06:55 AM
Rodrider88

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Couldn’t resist sticking a bid in for it at ~$220.

Kitted out with mainly Shimano 600 gear and with the Araya rims. However, for some reason I couldn’t find this paint job in the catalogues… which didn’t make sense to me.. also the listed Miyata is a 914 for that year. Can anyone advise on what’s what here?

Anyway, it looks to be in great condition.. just hoping that it’s not too much on the large side for me… I’ll update on my build as and when it happens

Old 06-24-19, 07:02 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Nice find, enjoy it
Old 06-24-19, 07:02 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Are you sure that's an '89? I just bought a 1984 Univega Gran Premio with those same type "aero-style" shifters. Love the look of 'em, and people say they're the finest friction levers ever built, I'm hoping so.

But friction shifting ought to place the bike's year of manufacture no later than '85 or '86. Post 1986, I don't think you buy anything new that didn't have friction shifting.

Nice score, BTW. Congrats. I would not have been able to resist that ride at that price either.
Old 06-24-19, 07:46 AM
Rodrider88

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Are you sure that's an '89? I just bought a 1984 Univega Gran Premio with those same type "aero-style" shifters. Love the look of 'em, and people say they're the finest friction levers ever built, I'm hoping so.

But friction shifting ought to place the bike's year of manufacture no later than '85 or '86. Post 1986, I don't think you buy anything new that didn't have friction shifting.

Nice score, BTW. Congrats. I would not have been able to resist that ride at that price either.
Thanks! I’m looking forward to getting out and about on this one!

I’ve asked for the serial number to confirm the year, but I’ve looked through a few of the catalogues and there is no sign of the paint job.
Old 06-24-19, 07:50 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nice looking score there, hopefully @T-Mar or one of the other learned elders will be along shortly. They can help you zero in on its year, getting that serial number will be a first big step. Happy riding if it fits you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-24-19, 08:27 AM
Rodrider88

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Nice looking score there, hopefully @T-Mar or one of the other learned elders will be along shortly. They can help you zero in on its year, getting that serial number will be a first big step. Happy riding if it fits you.

Bill
The serial number from the receipt is OA41521. As searched - 'O' appears to be 1986... although the catalogue that year was black with a pink headtube.

I must just add - I'm based in Sweden, this could mean that there is a different style for the market that the bike was sold in?

Last edited by Rodrider88; 06-24-19 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 11:06 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Yes, the serial numbers indicates a 1986 model but I knew it wasn't American market the moment that I saw the top mounted, aero shift levers and the friction New 600EX. Both are typical of European models for 1986, though they're typically branded Koga Miyata and their 1986 model with Shimano New 600EX was the Roadwinner. So, while it's a better match than the Amerian market 912, it still isn't perfect (wrong model, wrong tubing decal, no contrasting head tube).

I'm not aware of Sweden having a different Miyata importer and models than the rest of Europe but it's possible. Most brands imported into Sweden share a importer with the other Scandanavian countries and the legislated bicycle VIN system for Denmark does not include Koga. It would be interesting to know if there is a 2nd serial number (i.e. Danish VIN), which is typically located on the lower down tube or seat tube.
Old 06-24-19, 11:28 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Interesting that on a Euro market bicycle, most of the decals are in English.
Old 06-24-19, 12:30 PM
Rodrider88

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yes, the serial numbers indicates a 1986 model but I knew it wasn't American market the moment that I saw the top mounted, aero shift levers and the friction New 600EX. Both are typical of European models for 1986, though they're typically branded Koga Miyata and their 1986 model with Shimano New 600EX was the Roadwinner. So, while it's a better match than the Amerian market 912, it still isn't perfect (wrong model, wrong tubing decal, no contrasting head tube).

I'm not aware of Sweden having a different Miyata importer and models than the rest of Europe but it's possible. Most brands imported into Sweden share a importer with the other Scandanavian countries and the legislated bicycle VIN system for Denmark does not include Koga. It would be interesting to know if there is a 2nd serial number (i.e. Danish VIN), which is typically located on the lower down tube or seat tube.
Interesting, this explains my Miyata 1000 as well perhaps, acquired in Sweden but doesn’t reflect the catalogue for ‘87.(different decals and no contrasting head tube) I wonder if there is a catalogue with Scandinavian releases around? It’s a real shame because I really like the differing headtube paint jobs.

The only frame markings are the ones as attached. Does the above still mean that the bikes originate from the same place as the American imported Miyatas? I’m a newbie regarding the Koga- Miyata
link
Old 06-24-19, 03:29 PM
T-Mar

All the Japanese manufactured Miyata came out of the same Miyata factory in Japan. Starting in the very late 1980s, the manufacture of some entry level models were contracted to Taiwanese factories but these can be identified by the country of origin label and/or serial number format. Typically, with global brands like Miyata, there are several marketing regions, each with their own design departments that tailor the models to suit local preferences. I don't know how many distinct marketing regions Miyata had at this time, but there was at least three that were served by Miyata of Japan, Miyata Bicycle of America and Koga-Trading. Canada had a separate importer, Oxford Bicycles of Canada, but received the same models as the USA, so I group Canada and the USA together. I imagine there were several similar cases. The only catalogues I've seen have come from these three regions.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-24-19, 06:08 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
snip.....I'm not aware of Sweden having a different Miyata importer and models than the rest of Europe but it's possible. Most brands imported into Sweden share a importer with the other Scandanavian countries and the legislated bicycle VIN system for Denmark does not include Koga. It would be interesting to know if there is a 2nd serial number (i.e. Danish VIN), which is typically located on the lower down tube or seat tube.
Perhaps @styggno1 can comment here, he is based there IIRC.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-25-19, 12:08 AM
Winkd
Training Wheel Enthusiast

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet bike!
Old 06-27-19, 04:03 AM
Rodrider88

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback, I’ve actually happened across another very similar 912 here (not sure of the year on this one), which looks in fantastic condition.

A japan made, triple butted and with the same colour scheme as the first one. It has the internal cable routing through the top tube, with some reinforcement bosses – which could be a give away as far as year of origin is concerned, other than that it is 600 all over. Frame number for this one is “RA16055”

EVERY Miyata I encounter here in Sweden seems to be this colour!

I looked around for these VIN numbers and nothing seems to add up. The original 912 I posted has a frame number letter prefix of OA, which, according to the Danish VIN system does not exist due to them omitting ‘O’ due to it looking like a ‘0’

Still drawing a blank, but maybe the experts out there can help me to ID this one!

(try talk me out of going for this one)

0994300]

Looks like RA16055

Old 06-27-19, 05:31 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 1,076 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Perhaps @styggno1 can comment here, he is based there IIRC.

Bill
I am sorry - but I am not versed in Miyata. They were sold as Miyata here - not Koga-Miyata. I can confirm the grey metallic being a rather common colour on the better Miyata: s over here. The only three colours I remember ever seeing on 80ies "Swedish" Miayta: s are metallic grey, solid black and solid bright red. Importer was Sjöstrand Bike Company in Göteborg (Gothenburg).

The only Miyata I have had is the Mixte one ten II -that I built (and hand painted flowers on upon the original black paint) for my mother many years ago. Sorry for not being able to help more.

Old 06-27-19, 07:15 AM
Rodrider88

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
I am sorry - but I am not versed in Miyata. They were sold as Miyata here - not Koga-Miyata. I can confirm the grey metallic being a rather common colour on the better Miyata: s over here. The only three colours I remember ever seeing on 80ies "Swedish" Miayta: s are metallic grey, solid black and solid bright red. Importer was Sjöstrand Bike Company in Göteborg (Gothenburg).
Nice paint job on the Mixte!

Ok, that explains the greeny-grey metallic paint job on most I encounter!

You don't happen to know if this Sjöstrand Bike Company are still in existence do you?
Old 06-27-19, 09:55 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodrider88
(try talk me out of going for this one)
Okay... It's ONLY Japan-made and triple-butted. It's ONLY kitted toward the high end of the time, including a snapshot of the dawn of SIS. It's ONLY clean enough to look like it's barely been test ridden.

Is that helping?
Old 06-27-19, 10:25 AM
T-Mar

The OA and RA numbers are the factory applied serial numbers, indicating the first fortnight of 1986 & 1989 reapectively. However, the latter ycle wears Shimano New 600Ex, which was only the 1986 & 1987 model years. A 1989 would have 600 Ultegra. Conseqently, I believe the RA is actually PA, representing 1987. This would make it another 912 but one model year newer.
Old 06-27-19, 10:38 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodrider88
The serial number from the receipt is OA41521. As searched - 'O' appears to be 1986... although the catalogue that year was black with a pink headtube.

I must just add - I'm based in Sweden, this could mean that there is a different style for the market that the bike was sold in?
I noticed your Swedish Miyata has a different head tube decal. All the American Miyayas i have seen use a variation of this "gear" design (this is a 1987 "Competition" model 512).

If the Swedish bikes used a different head tube decal, maybe they changed the contrasting head tube feature as well.
Old 06-27-19, 10:51 AM
Rodrider88

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Okay... It's ONLY Japan-made and triple-butted. It's ONLY kitted toward the high end of the time, including a snapshot of the dawn of SIS. It's ONLY clean enough to look like it's barely been test ridden.

Is that helping?

Arghhh... I think I’ll have to go for it unfortunately, only to selflessly stop someone else stumbling into making such a mistake
Old 06-27-19, 11:44 AM
Rodrider88

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I noticed your Swedish Miyata has a different head tube decal. All the American Miyayas i have seen use a variation of this "gear" design (this is a 1987 "Competition" model 512).

If the Swedish bikes used a different head tube decal, maybe they changed the contrasting head tube feature as well.
Yeah, they have a different head tube decal, the painted on sweeping 'M' and the painted on badge with a gear. I must say I'm more of a big fan of the US designs, but after riding my 3 week old (to me) Miyata 1000 - a minor detail like that is soon ignored! 3 Miyatas in 3 weeks has actually happened!...

The OA and RA numbers are the factory applied serial numbers, indicating the first fortnight of 1986 & 1989 reapectively. However, the latter ycle wears Shimano New 600Ex, which was only the 1986 & 1987 model years. A 1989 would have 600 Ultegra. Conseqently, I believe the RA is actually PA, representing 1987. This would make it another 912 but one model year newer.
Thanks T-Mar, so I almost have 912 twins!