Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain Tool Replacement Pin

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 12:10 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts

I broke TWO chain tools this weekend. On my cheaper one, I bent the handle, and on the expensive one the pin just sheared off. I think it's this tool, although Park has a couple that look very similar. They sell replacement pins but they don't look exactly the same either - on my tool, there are threads between that little nut thing and the pusher-pin and on the replacement versions the threads are on the other side.

So, the question is, has anyone done this and what are my chances of success and what do I need to watch out for?

Old 06-24-19, 02:24 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I'm not sure which tool you are using, but I have had good luck with the park 3 series (I'm not exactly sure which one I have).

I have broken a pin, but since then I have been very careful to align the tool before I really crank down on the spindle. I have probably broken 50 chains since then without breaking a pin.
Old 06-24-19, 02:49 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I'm not sure which tool you are using, but I have had good luck with the park 3 series (I'm not exactly sure which one I have).

I have broken a pin, but since then I have been very careful to align the tool before I really crank down on the spindle. I have probably broken 50 chains since then without breaking a pin.
I definitely have the CT3, which has been replaced by the CT3.2 and CT3.3 which don't have the extra anvil for unsticking a tight pin. Looks like 3.2 and 3.3 only vary in how the adjustible anvil works for 3/32 vs 1/8 inch chains.

And all three versions say they use the same replacement pin, the CTP... I'm just not finding good instructions on changing it and I think my tool may be messed up inside (more than just the pin).

I think how I broke it was trying to push the pin out the wrong direction - it seems new chains have one-way pins with one end too big to pass through the link... I've never seen anything about that. For my Shimano 10s chain, I tried to push from the inside out... like we used to do it in the 6-speed days for easy re-insertion.

So what I want is a story of success or failure from someone who's changed a pin in their CT3.x
Old 06-24-19, 05:08 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
So, the question is, has anyone done this and what are my chances of success and what do I need to watch out for?
You could probably save some time and get the correct info from Park Tool customer service. They've been great when I've dealt with them.
Likes For on the path:
Old 06-24-19, 05:39 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
You could probably save some time and get the correct info from Park Tool customer service. They've been great when I've dealt with them.
AGREE! call up to Minneapolis and they will help you out.
Old 06-24-19, 09:23 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
I don't understand your question, but-
If it helps, the pin on my CT-3 is threaded 10-24
Old 06-24-19, 10:13 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I have the ct3. I just took off and replaced my pin. If you have one, a 7mm 12 point wrench is a perfect fit for the pin’s spline grip.
Old 06-25-19, 08:08 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
1. Get two. Then tape the other to your tool. You'll likely never need the second one but it's insurance against breaking another. Also, no second shipping cost so it'll probably be half price.

2. How closely can you hold your thumb and forefinger together without touching? That's roughly the odds of the replacement pin not working.
Old 06-25-19, 01:30 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Took it to the LBS and the mechanic said the threads in the tool were damaged and a new pin wouldn't go in properly.

So I got a cheap one - if I'm going to break a tool, might as well be expendable.
Old 06-25-19, 02:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I'd bought a cheap one at Academy Sports a couple years ago. It worked for about three chains before it's pin broke. So being the cheap SOB I am and not willing to pay for a decent one, I went back to what I used for at 48 plus years prior to that.

A punch and a piece of one inch steel plate with a hole I drilled in it a tad bigger than the pin diameter. I have to lay the bike down on it's side to line everything up. The very few times I have to break a chain I don't see why I'd spend money on a truly well built one. If I had to remove pins weekly, I'd probably spend the bucks.
Old 06-25-19, 02:18 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Can you chase the threads? Epoxy?
All you really need to do is retain the pin in the tool since all the forces are "pushing".