Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Beginner's Question - 26" vs. 20" Wheel - Bacchetta Strada/Giro

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 06:06 AM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am close to purchasing my first bent. After much research and finding a local dealer, I may go with the Bacchetta Strada, which has a 26" front wheel. The dealer didn't have one in stock at the time for a test ride, so I'll have to wait before making a final decision.

The dealer did have a Bachetta Giro which I test drove; however, it has a 20" front wheel. It took an extra try to get moving, and I found myself a bit wobbly but after a few minutes things went much better. I could tell a learning curve would be involved, but it didn't seem over the top by any means.

My question is this: is the high-riser (26") bents much more difficult to ride for the beginner? Any special considerations for a 26" vs. 20"?

Thanks,
David in FL
Old 09-24-07, 06:57 AM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any bike is easy to ride given enough practice. I wouldn't make a final decision based solely on how easy or difficult it is to ride at the start. I chose a Giro 26 mainly because it's easier to get good quality tyres/rims/spokes/tubes in that size around here. You may not have that problem though. As to which bike - which one made you smile the most?
Old 09-24-07, 07:12 AM
Mockpo
Its happy hour somewhere,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend just went through this decision a couple months ago, same bikes. She had a hard time deciding between the 2 as the bottom bracket was about 5-6 inches higher on the Strada, as I recall. She went with a Volae Expedition (dual 26) and has had no problems. She liked the stationary steering post as opposed to the fliping of the Bachettas. I've read about other riders having a difficult time with the dual 26 but once I rode one, I was hooked. I felt the smaller front was too squirrely. Theres things to consider like the few times you may have to make a sharp turn and hit your heel with the front wheel. But like unclipping prior to a stop, you just get used to adjusting your feet.. If you do tour, its typically easier to get 26" tires as opposed to 20"s.
Just test ride as many as you can and you'll find a good fit.
Old 09-24-07, 10:25 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Partly depends on how tall you are. People 68" tall or above have little difficulty
with the 22-24" seat height of dual 26, but as you go below this height the
stretch to the ground gets to be a problem. You 'get used to it' to some
degree, but below 64" tall I suspect a 20" front wheel a better choice.
Heel strike on dual 26 is definitely going to happen, but as a prior poster
suggests you adjust, it only occurs on tight radius turns at low speeds, not
otherwise. Heel strike does not occur with 20" wheels.
Old 09-24-07, 02:59 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Heel strike does not occur with 20" wheels.

Not in my experience.
Old 09-24-07, 03:34 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by David in PA
My question is this: is the high-riser (26") bents much more difficult to ride for the beginner? Any special considerations for a 26" vs. 20"?

Thanks,
David in FL
Dual 26" ers or dual 650 bents can be difficult to learn on for beginners, especially if one is shorter. I'm 5'7" tall and can ride a dual 650 Bacchetta or Volae and have owned both. It's a stretch, but it can be done with practice. I have a friend that is 5'6" tall and rides a dual 650c Volae Team.

Personally, if I had to choose between the Strada and the Giro, I'd go with the Strada. For one thing, you don't have to carry two different sizes of tubes or keep two different sizes of tires around the house. Besides that, it's more of a personal preference for me. I'll let others debate the differences between the two models that you cite.

Old 09-24-07, 04:40 PM
Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have not joined BentRider online and Bacchetta's own forums, you should do so because there are many posts regarding just this choice that you can search out easily.

Have you considered the Giro 26 or is it now too difficult to get one until next year's model arrives? The Giro 26 gives you great flexiblity in tire size (narrow as you want up to over 2" tires) & wheel size (26" is stock but 650, or 700c will fit), plus disc brakes. The Euromesh seat is a no cost option; saves about 2 lbs, is more comfortable to many people, better ventilated, and I found it easier to get my feet down on the ground. The tire options are particularly nice if you ride good streets sometimes, potholed ones sometimes, and unpaved bike trails other times.

The Volae Expedition has similar features.
Old 09-24-07, 11:59 PM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Dual 26" ers or dual 650 bents can be difficult to learn on for beginners
I wouldn't want that to discourage anyone from getting one though. I didn't find the learning curve intolerable, and once you do get the feel for it, it's a sweet, sweet ride. (not that I have any experience on other bents to compare, but compared to a regular bike it's unbeatable)
Old 09-25-07, 07:35 AM
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I am close to purchasing my first bent. After much research and finding a local dealer, I may go with the Bacchetta Strada, which has a 26" front wheel. The dealer didn't have one in stock at the time for a test ride, so I'll have to wait before making a final decision.

The dealer did have a Bachetta Giro which I test drove; however, it has a 20" front wheel. It took an extra try to get moving, and I found myself a bit wobbly but after a few minutes things went much better. I could tell a learning curve would be involved, but it didn't seem over the top by any means.

Thanks,
David in FL

Hello,

I own and ride the Strada and I can tell you from experience that there is a learning curve and it will take some getting used too. After you ride for 15 to 20 miles and start getting used to the bike you'll find it to be a fantastic ride.
I ride the conversion and my seat height is two or three inches higher yet but the 700c made a big difference in top end speed.
You say your in FL, if so and you want to test ride the Strada just drop me an email Bikerric@tampabay.rr.com and your welcome too ride.
Old 10-01-07, 10:02 AM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

Thank you everyone for the excellent advice. I really appreciate it!

I'd like a to add a specific question: If you're already on a very steep hill, how difficult (or not) is it to get going from a dead stop with a 26" front wheel?

Thanks,
David in FL
Old 10-01-07, 10:25 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I'd like a to add a specific question: If you're already on a very steep hill, how difficult (or not) is it to get going from a dead stop with a 26" front wheel?
I don't think wheel size matters that much. It's more a matter of what gear you start in. If you switch to a lower gear before you stop, it's no biggie. On the other hand, if you're in a really high gear, getting started can be hard even on flat ground. I have dual 650s on the bent in my avatar.
Old 08-23-12, 08:03 PM
bigdavelucas50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 74" tall and have size 14 shoes. I am also considering buying a Bacchetta Giro 20 or 26. I'm not sure which one to go with? Is the tradeoff for steering control, speed and smooth ride going to be more important than heel strike. Any help with this?
Old 08-23-12, 08:40 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
This thread has been inactive for five years. (Zombie Thread)
That said, are you able to test-ride both bikes?
My swb V-Rex is a candidate for heel strike but it has never been a problem. You learn how to deal with it/avoid it. Not sure how much of a problem heel strike on a Giro 20 is compared to a V-Rex. Plus, my shoe size is only 10.5.
Dual big wheels on the Giro 26 will make for a more aero position and will roll over imperfect surfaces better than small/big wheels on the 20.
Ideal situation is to ride both bikes to see which you like best.
Old 08-24-12, 06:03 PM
oddball

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Specialized Roubaix, Kona Jake the Snake, Cannondale Super V, Electra Straight 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the same height as you and have both a Giro20 and a Strada. IMHO you might be better off with the 26. The learning curve is a little steeper but not by much.

The Giro 26 has a longer frame which will allow you to set the seat closer to the center of the frame. In my experience my Strada rides and handles better because I'm more centered on the frame. Even the my Giro20 has slightly wider tires (35mm vs. 28mm) the ride is better on the Strada. Also, the lightly weighted front tire bounces pretty hard on road imperfections.

The handling on the Giro is quicker. I don't know if its due to the unweighted front tire or the fact that its only 20".

If I were to do it all over again I probably would buy a Giro26 instead. Not that the 20 is bad but I think the 26 is a better fit for riders 6' and over.
Old 09-08-12, 07:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While of course you have to carry two different sized tubes, I recommend a 20-26 especially in a LWB recumbent. The front 20" wheel is not loaded all that heavy yet is stronger. Also it has less aero drag, and less rotational enertia so you can get up to speed faster.
Old 09-10-12, 04:48 PM
bigdavelucas50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I did buy the Giro 20. Happy so far.
Old 09-10-12, 04:49 PM
bigdavelucas50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!