Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need advice on fixing up a 1985 Fuji Del Rey :)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 11:09 PM
Thunder_117

Bikes: see signature

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys!

I picked up a 1985 Fuji Del Rey a few weeks ago in fair condition. I paid $100. I've been commuting on it for a couple weeks, and it works well. I've overhauled the wheel hubs and bottom bracket. Here is a link to some info about the bike (though mine has some differing features):

https://www.classicfuji.com/DelRey_1985_Page.htm

The color is the same as mine, though mine a a very minor dent in the downtube I'm sure is superficial. And of course mine has some paint scuffs/dings, which I'm debating on fixing with car filler paint or nail polish... anyway,

Here are some of the things I'm thinking about fixing up.

-new chain
-new 6-speed freewheel
-new crankset
(Current Sugino LP crankset makes the left pedal wobble; possibly bent crank. I tested out different pedals and fixed the bottom bracket play and it still feels wobbly, so I can't think of anything else but a bent crank arm or a nonperpendicular threading or something.
Also the triple rings bother me, but would I need a new front derailer to switch to a double? It has a 48-38-28, and I'd prefer something like a 52-3x with my 14-30 since 6-speed freewheels only get down to about 13/14-xx, unless I find some pricey NOS dura-ace or something...)
-new bar tape
-new rims
(Current rear rim has a slight vertical bump I can't seem to fix with my somewhat mediocre trueing skills. Also I'd prefer a rimset that comfortably accepts a more modern and skinnier 700x23-28 rather than the current 27x1+1/8.)
-new brake hoods for Dia Compe non-aero along with new brake cables and housing (color?? ...)

Any suggestions for any of the above topics or anything else would be a great!

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 08-08-13, 11:44 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunder_117
Hey guys!

I picked up a 1985 Fuji Del Rey a few weeks ago in fair condition. I paid $100. I've been commuting on it for a couple weeks, and it works well. I've overhauled the wheel hubs and bottom bracket. Here is a link to some info about the bike (though mine has some differing features):
-new rims
(Current rear rim has a slight vertical bump I can't seem to fix with my somewhat mediocre trueing skills. Also I'd prefer a rimset that comfortably accepts a more modern and skinnier 700x23-28 rather than the current 27x1+1/8.)
-new brake hoods for Dia Compe non-aero along with new brake cables and housing (color?? ...)

Any suggestions for any of the above topics or anything else would be a great!

Thanks,
-Nick
I can appreciate the appeal of 700c rims, and I'd suggest using the fattest tires that fit the frame and brakes, like one of the Grand Bois or Challenge models sold by Compass Cycles. I have the 32mm Cypres on my Rivendell with 23mm rims - haven't worn one out yet in about 8 years (but I need to ride more), and only one flat, and will be putting the 29mm Cerf on the Miyata with Mavic Open 4CD rims when the current 27mm Rolly-Poly's wear out. These tires roll amazingly nicely with very low rolling resistance, allow you to use a lower pressure, and consequently ride nicer than you'd think possible. They remind me of the old silk Clement Del Mundo tubulars of my youth. Seems like they resist flats better, too, but not with anything that stiffens the carcass. And they are NOT heavy.

https://www.compasscycle.com/tires.html

Last edited by Dfrost; 08-08-13 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-09-13, 12:21 AM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
i'd use ...

- sun m13ii rims
- danscomp sapim db spokes
- 700x23c pasela tourguard wire bead
- sunrace 6, 14-28, in gold or silver finish.
- any period sugino double 52/42
- cheap suntour fd from the co-op or this forum.
- follow the catalog pic cues.

i like that silky, shiny off-white tape in the pic. can you get stuff like that anymore?
Old 08-09-13, 03:45 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
The hoods are available anywhere on line for about $8.
Your FD can handle a double.
If the commute takes you on rough roads, I wouldn't get less than a 25c tire. Personally 28c is my preference.
Old 08-09-13, 06:14 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I usually get aerolevers instead of replacement hoods. You can find them on ebay for less than the price of hoods.

As always, I would recommend you pick up a set of used wheels. If you are resourceful, you can find nice used wheels for less than the price of new spokes.

+1 Your FD will be fine.

I'd need to see a pic of your bike to recommend bar tape and housing colors. I usually use a contrast color, and the bar tape would match the housing.
Old 08-09-13, 10:57 AM
Thunder_117

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks for all the suggestions!

I don't want to replace the brakes with aero versions because I like the black levers that it already has on it, and I also like the look of the brake housing "up in yo' face". Reminds me of Eddy Merckx... haha.

So my FD will be fine with any double chainring I put on it. No problem with chainline or anything?

The current Continental 1+1/8 is about 32mm according to Google Convert. But that width is driving me nuts. I can't even feel it when I don't take my butt off the seat to get up on the curb. I'm used to my Cervelo's nice 23mm 105psi ride where I feel the road. I can probably tolerate 28mm if it keeps the bike looking a little more time-period-appropriate, but I'm not much a fan of cooshiness in the tire area.

Speaking of cooshiness, I have some leftover cheap bar tape (China-eBay) I used for cushion on some heavy music equipment handles. Think I could wrap the tops and hood area with that before I wrap the rest in some nice Fizik tape to get some extra bar width and softness?

I can post up a photo later today of my bike. It looks pretty much the same as the one in the link but obviously in some used condition...

Thanks for all your suggestions!

-Nick
Old 08-09-13, 10:57 AM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Cane Creek makes some hoods that will fit on old non-aero Dia Compe levers (just Google "Cane Creek Dia Compe" and you'll find a ton of them). They're not absolutely perfect, and I find that sometimes you have to "adjust" them with a razor blade to get them to fit better, but they're typically only about $10 per pair. They make them in a brown which is a pretty poor replication of the old gum hoods, but the black ones look pretty nice.
Old 08-09-13, 01:25 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

You can get 27 inch tires as narrow as 1 inch. I had some Panaracers in 27 x 1 and I liked them.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 08-09-13, 07:00 PM
Thunder_117

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Guys!

Bought some Sugino LP hubs to build up so I can continue commuting on it. They are both 36H. I want to do 3 cross rear and maybe 1 or 2 cross front. Yay or nay on that? Originally I wanted fewer spokes up front, but I'd rather keep it stock/original, so this is my alternative.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 08-09-13, 07:37 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
3x front and rear. No need to do anything silly or trendy...
Old 08-09-13, 08:23 PM
Thunder_117

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know there is no "reason" for it, I just want to try lacing a different pattern. Would there be anything BAD about lacing the front 1 or 2 cross?

Also I have found a Sugino square taper crankset from an old Allez 53/39 170mm. It is listed as being only for a 9 speed. Is there a difference? Can I still use it for my six speed?

Thanks again for all your help!
-Nick
Old 08-09-13, 08:48 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Nothing 'wrong' with a triple crankset. I have a Sakae 48/38/28 triple on my '75 Fuji right now, coupled with a SunTour 13-26 six-speed freewheel (although a 13-21 SunTour 6-spd was fine for the flat country around here) I'm using my bike's original 'double' Compe V front derailleur on the Sakae SX triple crank with no issues!
Old 08-11-13, 08:42 AM
Thunder_117

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Guys! My bike is coming together. New chain and freewheel are much smoother and quieter. Semi-double-wrapped bars look good and are comfortable. New silver housing and cables. And I'll probably keep the triple because it, well, works. I only have 2 more items to fix...

-new pedals
I hate the MKS pedals on there. Too skinny and feel...not flat. Considering the MKS touring, but need more options to look at. Also considering half toe clips for convenience. Any advice is helpful!

-new rims
I have a pair of original Suntour Le Pree hubs I want to lace up. They will be my first real wheelset I've made so I'm looking for a cheap 700c 36H rim I can fit 23-28mm tires onto. Looking for specific options please.

Thanks again!
-Nick

Last edited by Thunder_117; 08-11-13 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 06:51 AM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunder_117
-new pedals
I hate the MKS pedals on there. Too skinny and feel...not flat. Considering the MKS touring, but need more options to look at. Also considering half toe clips for convenience. Any advice is helpful!
The MKS Touring are pretty nice. I've got big flippers, and they're one of the few that I've come across that are comfortable (I use them with regular toe clips FWIW) and reasonably vintage looking.
Old 08-12-13, 10:11 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Would look kind of weird on a road bike, but the VP bear traps are really nice. $20 shipped via ebay, in a myriad of colors. Very grippy!
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.