Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quick release came loose today on my front wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 04:55 PM
NYNJrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

brand new bike (well, rode it maybe 100 miles so far)

was coming up hill and felt the tire becoming super wobbly. pulled over and realized the lever was not engaged.

super concerning and a lesson learned in terms of checking the bike before riding.

i'm curious though, is this a common occurrence? how could this happen?
Old 06-10-20, 05:04 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Not common. Incorrect assembly.

The lever is a cam lever, not a wing-nut. Did you purchase the bike at a bike shop or another retailer?
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 06-10-20, 05:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Agreed. Not common, in fact improbable w/o faulty installation or outside interference after installation. Plenty of how-to instructions online. That said, I've had the rear wheel shift when cranking hard on a climb. Some QRs work better than others and drop outs vary as well.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 06-10-20 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 05:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bet you did not tighten it properly in the 1st place.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-10-20, 05:23 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
https://www.alsbicycles.com/articles...ctly-pg314.htm
https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a20...quick-release/
Closing the QR should need enough force to leave a mark on your palm. Make certain that the lever is not facing forward when tightened, so that a passing object does not flip it open.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 06-10-20, 05:24 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Answers so far are pretty much par for the course. Very often new riders have no idea how to tighten a quick release. If the lever had the concave side facing out, it was your fault if you didn't flip the lever to tighten the wheel. It is very common for new riders to do this wrong
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-10-20, 05:42 PM
NYNJrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Not common. Incorrect assembly.

The lever is a cam lever, not a wing-nut. Did you purchase the bike at a bike shop or another retailer?
a bike shop. it's a month old. i'm sort of pissed. if you look at my history i've already had some issues with the bike including a bent FD cage (which i refuse to believe i did - though i guess it's possible).
Old 06-10-20, 05:43 PM
NYNJrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Bet you did not tighten it properly in the 1st place.
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Answers so far are pretty much par for the course. Very often new riders have no idea how to tighten a quick release. If the lever had the concave side facing out, it was your fault if you didn't flip the lever to tighten the wheel. It is very common for new riders to do this wrong
i should have been more clear. i never once touched the front wheel or the QR in my month of ownership.
Old 06-10-20, 05:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by NYNJrider
i should have been more clear. i never once touched the front wheel or the QR in my month of ownership.
If you never touched them after a month of riding, then you aren't exercising good judgement either. You need to be constantly checking things. QR's, spokes, tire pressure, shifters and derailleurs working correctly in all gears, BRAKES, and other things.

Don't leave your life and safety to others.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-10-20, 06:01 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I FAR prefer the older closed-cam quick release skewers to the newer open cam ones. I bought a number of the old-style ones at a bike shop where they were very inexpensive. I put them on wheels friends have if the wheels have the newer open-cam ones. The old style closed-cam are much more secure in my opinion.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-10-20, 06:03 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Oh, it's a good idea to check quick-releases on wheels and brakes if the bike has been out of your sight for any length of time. Some sick individuals think its fun to open them, or loosen them.

Cheers
Old 06-10-20, 06:03 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I have two rules for QRs.

1) Never put a wheel on the bike without properly securing the QR as if you where going to ride it immediately. I have stuck a wheel on and thought I would come back and use a different wheel for tomorrow and not tighten the QR , forget the wheel was not secure and causing ensuing hilarity the next day. Leads to rule #2 ...

2) Before every ride “Quickly do your ABCs”. Check Air in the tires, check the Brake function, visually check all the Cables, check that the quick release is correctly engaged on both wheels.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 06-10-20, 06:59 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Always leave the skewers in the same position and side so if it's not in that position something is wrong. Everytime you look down you know where the skewers should be.
I point mine backwards parallel to the road non drive side.
Old 06-10-20, 07:23 PM
NYNJrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what's the best course of action now? when i retightened the QR it was quite hard to push the lever down. i assume it's probably locked in a bit too tight at the moment. i'm guessing it might make sense to loosen the lever and nut and retighten?
Old 06-10-20, 07:58 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I FAR prefer the older closed-cam quick release skewers to the newer open cam ones.
Agreed, but the "open cam" variety will generally work well enough if they're properly closed. I bought a bike that came with Ultegra components but an option was titanium skewers that had the bike's brand etched on the levers. Yes, a silly thing. My point is that in 20 years a wheel has never come loose. And I still have the original skewers to admire, or use as I see fit!
Old 06-10-20, 08:01 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,201 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Oh, it's a good idea to check quick-releases on wheels and brakes if the bike has been out of your sight for any length of time. Some sick individuals think its fun to open them, or loosen them.

Cheers
+1
Even if I valet, I check em!
Old 06-10-20, 08:02 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Maxle?

Does it happen to have a Maxle quick release? The rear Maxle on my new bike has loosened a couple of times during a ride. I caught it fairly quickly both times as the shifting gets slightly off. I did some research and it seems quite a few people have been having issues with Maxles. I plan to ask my bike shop if there are any solutions other than checking them before each ride.

(If it is a Maxle, I read there's a small Allen bolt you tighten to adjust the tension)

Last edited by mtnbud; 06-10-20 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 10:41 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Agreed, but the "open cam" variety will generally work well enough if they're properly closed. I bought a bike that came with Ultegra components but an option was titanium skewers that had the bike's brand etched on the levers. Yes, a silly thing. My point is that in 20 years a wheel has never come loose. And I still have the original skewers to admire, or use as I see fit!
You need to clean and lube those open cam skewers REALLY often unless they’re brass. Otherwise they seize in place. At least, mine did.

Upgraded to Shimano 105 skewers. They don’t “snap” into place as nicely but I don’t have to maintain my f****** skewers.

OP, wanna post a pic of your skewer as it is on the wheel?
Old 06-10-20, 11:31 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
That’s the Kona Rove DL you’ve posted about earlier?
A quick pic search shows a disc brake bike with a regular q/r hub.
Due to the bike industries unfortunate decision to put the brake caliper on the rear of the fork, braking forces can push the axle downwards hard enough to overcome the force from the weight of the rider.
So unless you have your q/r on real tight, it will happily work itself loose by the repeated motion from braking.
You should be using a good-quality internal-cam q/r and close it HARD.
And check regularly.
Failure to do so may introduce you to the marginal joys of front wheel ejection.
Likes For dabac:
Old 06-11-20, 02:29 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I had a Fulcrum skewer that gradually came loose on my mountain bike rear tire unless I tightened it really hard. If I tightened it with "normal" force, it started loosening. Usually it started creaking before nothing too serious happened.

In the end I replaced it with another skewer and problem went away.
Old 06-11-20, 09:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
what's the best course of action now? when i retightened the QR it was quite hard to push the lever down. i assume it's probably locked in a bit too tight at the moment. i'm guessing it might make sense to loosen the lever and nut and retighten?
Sounds like it's about right. You need to have an impression on your hand after you tighten the quick release. As long as you can get it flipped, it's not too tight.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-11-20, 10:53 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Sounds like you should be fine. For future reference, you can get wheel installation information here: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...d-installation