Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My New Surly Long Haul Trucker

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

My New Surly Long Haul Trucker

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 07:05 PM
Fueled by Boh

Bikes: Cyclocross tourer, Redline Monofixie, Lemond Buenos Aires, surly KM, haro x3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i really like them. I did a 3-day tour of WV, VA, MD, and DC with about 109mi the first day, 68mi the second day (off road), and 115(nearly all off road)mi the third. The end of the last day had us riding on clara barton parkway in downtown DC during rush hour on a monday, and then sprinting for traffic lights and jockeying with messengers through Georgetown to M street, to get back home, so i hit all the bases in terms of riding pace and style. pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ferrouswheels/

The bar sucked up the chatter on the off-road century portion quite nicely, even wrapped as you see it. As far as long days on the bike go (like the 9.5ish hours i spent riding 100ish mi off road on the third day... ahg), absolutely no complaints. Plenty of usable hand positions and the Ti gives it a buttery feel (maybe its just in my head).

I would like something a little "faster" feeling for when i'm touring exclusively on roads. I'm thinking a nitto noodle bar with the stock tektro brake levers. I think it would be nice to tuck out of the wind a bit more, although resting your forearms on the flat center portion of the h-bar and grasping the forward extensions yields a pretty nice aero position. I would say its my first choice for for adventure touring/ mixed surface touring.

the only thing i'd change about it -- a backsweep along the flat center portion a la nitto noodle bar or noah's ark bar.
Old 03-28-08, 08:49 PM
Radfahrer
California über Alles!!

Bikes: Steve Rex City Bike, Steve Rex Road Bike, Giant Rincon Grocery-Getter, Raleigh Superbe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carkmouch
Got my Brooks Flyer in today. I thought I was ordering a Honey colored one, but I can live with the black one they sent me. I also added a seatbag and an adjustable bottle cage today.

From now on, I will also carry at least one can of PBR. Or Hamm's!
Old 03-29-08, 07:20 PM
gmrv4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I show mine too:

2715LHTadjustedemail.jpg

I just got it today. I think this thing is the SUV of bikes. Couldn't be happier. Just riding it for now. I will add fenders and racks later after I pull myself out of the saddle.
Old 04-09-08, 11:55 AM
50 Mission Cap

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's mine. Just picked her up 3/29. First ride last saturday (40 miles) was awesome. Wasn't so sure about the 26inch wheels at first, but after riding, they're awesome! Rolled very smooth; including over a rocky detour on my bike path. Love this bike. Taking her on the Katy this summer.
Old 05-01-12, 06:29 AM
Pedroman
Pedroman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,
I had a question regarding the LHT as I'm in the process of looking at one for me.
Basically I want to know is any of you guys have had a problem with front brake chatter/shudder.
I have had this problem with the Chromoly frame with canti brakes I've been riding the last 2 years, and would hate to switch to another bike that suffers the same problem.

Cheers.
Old 05-01-12, 07:35 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedroman
Hi all,
I had a question regarding the LHT as I'm in the process of looking at one for me.
Basically I want to know is any of you guys have had a problem with front brake chatter/shudder.
I have had this problem with the Chromoly frame with canti brakes I've been riding the last 2 years, and would hate to switch to another bike that suffers the same problem.

Cheers.
Swap out the LHT stock levers to Tektro RL520's, and use V-brakes. You'll get great stopping power when fully loaded and easy brake adjustment.

Last edited by BigAura; 05-01-12 at 07:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-02-12, 01:08 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Nice job.

I use a Trucker for everything - commuting, groceries, self-contained touring, even some off road (26x2.0 tires). If I could only have one bike (heart be still) it would be my Trucker without a second thought.

Thanks for posting. I enjoy viewing all of the new LHTs here at BF.
Old 05-02-12, 01:24 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedroman
...front brake chatter/shudder...
Get one of these, or use long pull levers and Vees, or get a Disc Trucker.
Old 07-16-20, 09:48 AM
Jackweed

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Surly Straggler, Surly 1x1, Trek Y-Foil66, Salsa Timberjack, handful of other projects

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey Vik - I see this old string but I'm hoping you can help me. I picked up a 2008 LHT yesterday and I'm wondering what they called this blue? Surly always has some catchy name for their colors. Thanks
Old 07-18-20, 09:52 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackweed
Hey Vik - I see this old string but I'm hoping you can help me. I picked up a 2008 LHT yesterday and I'm wondering what they called this blue? Surly always has some catchy name for their colors. Thanks
Hi Jackweed
I've seen the question of past year colours come up before about Surly's and a repeat answer of checking the appropriate years blog or catalogue which is findable on Surly's site.

https://surlybikes.com/uploads/downl...log_lo_res.pdf

It appears your colour is referred to as "Utility Blue" at a quick glance, so not as "catchy" as some years.

Great bikes and colours all the same.

Hope this helps
Old 07-19-20, 04:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Resurrected eight year old thread.

Vik has not posted on this site for quite a few years. He also had his own website that he quit updating at about that time.
Old 07-19-20, 08:26 AM
Jackweed

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Surly Straggler, Surly 1x1, Trek Y-Foil66, Salsa Timberjack, handful of other projects

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
Hi Jackweed
I've seen the question of past year colours come up before about Surly's and a repeat answer of checking the appropriate years blog or catalogue which is findable on Surly's site.

https://surlybikes.com/uploads/downl...log_lo_res.pdf

It appears your colour is referred to as "Utility Blue" at a quick glance, so not as "catchy" as some years.

Great bikes and colours all the same.

Hope this helps
This is excellent info! Thank you rifraf!!
Old 07-19-20, 01:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Yes. Utility Blue. I had a 2008 one, but it was stolen from inside my house, while I was home, and awake.

That wasn’t you, was it?😀
Old 07-19-20, 07:33 PM
Jackweed

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yes. Utility Blue. I had a 2008 one, but it was stolen from inside my house, while I was home, and awake.

That wasn’t you, was it?😀
Two things I will never do:
#1. F with a man's car.
#2. F with a man's bike.

I cannot believe how much I'm enjoying the LHT. It's fun to ride and be a dork on it too... bags on the back and a bucket hat!
Old 07-19-20, 08:13 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
No worries.

Happy Spinning
Old 07-20-20, 07:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Two things I will never do:
#1. F with a man's car.
#2. F with a man's bike.

I cannot believe how much I'm enjoying the LHT. It's fun to ride and be a dork on it too... bags on the back and a bucket hat!
I didn’t mind losing the bike as much as I minded losing the irreplaceable custom racks that were attached to it. The companion panniers only work with those racks.

My replacement is a 2011 in black. I’ve had a lot of fun on it.