Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Topeak Road Morph pump o-ring failure

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Topeak Road Morph pump o-ring failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-17, 11:38 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by checoles

This should be interesting...
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt
.. Originally Posted by philnis123
Hey I was having the issue of the pump not getting really any air out. Pulled it apart and it was the o-ring. I used just a little bit of dental floss on the inside of where the o-ring goes to expand it just a bit. Worked great, careful not to expand it too much or the o-ring will get damaged on the threads going in.

Exactly. You were helping someone who had already solved their problem, and didn't need an o-ring.

What do my posts contribute to this thread? Not a darn thing. Just some sarcasm that probably only I find funny.
Old 07-29-18, 11:10 AM
Maybe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nad Kel
My Topeak mini pump is only two years old and for the last five months it's been dead all because a stupid piece of rubber that is no more than $2, but what size? I've been to more than 100 hardware shops, even called Topeak customer service numbers, which inform me to "Get a new pump"

Well I'm not throwing away a $40 pump which is the nicest I've ever seen.

So what's the deal? Size 12 is too small, size 13 won't even fit in the cylinder..Anyone have this pump and trouble?

Because it's lifetime warantee, and I've heard people getting the part sent to them for free. Where, how?

PS: Tried all sorts of ways to fix it, nothing works.

Just had this same issue and fixed it with the existing parts within the pump itself. I counted a total of 3 O rings in my road morph (maybe this is different than your pump).

2 of those O rings are the same size, this includes the one that's damaged inside the shaft and causing the device to malfuntion. The second O ring of the same size was found on the "butt plug" of the shaft. I just swapped the position of each and now have a working pump again.

The "butt plug" O ring doesn't move up and down the shaft so even if your old O ring is alittle worn or stretched, it should still make tight enough of a seal to allow the pump to function. I imagine that the "butt plug" O ring could be fashioned out of tephlon tape if the old O ring is broken since it's a none moving part.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-29-20, 07:26 PM
tothemax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dental floss to the rescue!

Six wraps of dental floss under the O ring seems to have restored functionality to my pump while I search for a more permanent solution. Going to add a few yards of dental floss to my repair kit just in case...