Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Six Gap Century Training

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Six Gap Century Training

Old 09-02-20, 10:59 AM
wolfpack95

Bikes: Felt ZA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wish I would have read this before trying Hogpen . It kicked my butt with a 36x27 setup and I had to stop and walk a few times to catch my breath. I did get over it without any motor assistance so I consider it a humbling success. FWIW, I’ve climbed the easier 3 gaps twice, Burnt Mtn, several hilly full centuries without too much trouble but Hogpen is on a whole different level.

Last edited by wolfpack95; 09-02-20 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-02-20, 11:38 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
My wife gets those adductor cramps. So far, not on the bike or hike, but after, at night. They're BAD. I never cramp if I've trained as well as you have, unless I do a long hard anaerobic effort near the top of a climb. Then, yes. Not right then, but maybe 10' later on another effort before my legs have recovered. The only thing I could suggest adding is deep squats, 3 sets of 30, all same weight, enough that you can't complete the 3rd 30. 3 minutes between sets. Lacking a squat rack as I do now, dumbbell deadlifts or front squats instead. That's a whole 'nother world of leg work.

Also, pickle juice earlier, as a prophylactic.
Old 09-04-20, 04:44 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My wife gets those adductor cramps. So far, not on the bike or hike, but after, at night. They're BAD. I never cramp if I've trained as well as you have, unless I do a long hard anaerobic effort near the top of a climb. Then, yes. Not right then, but maybe 10' later on another effort before my legs have recovered. The only thing I could suggest adding is deep squats, 3 sets of 30, all same weight, enough that you can't complete the 3rd 30. 3 minutes between sets. Lacking a squat rack as I do now, dumbbell deadlifts or front squats instead. That's a whole 'nother world of leg work.

Also, pickle juice earlier, as a prophylactic.
FWIW, I had hoped to ride 6 gap again this year. But I will not be doing that kind of travel in these circumstances. I had a training plan that would address the 6gap terrain while training in the rolling hills in this area. But even the local century ride has been cancelled. So my riding is now maintenance mode. OTOH, my golf game is improving as is my classical guitar technique.

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC: