Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has anyone found a lever-type shifter that works with Nexus 8?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Has anyone found a lever-type shifter that works with Nexus 8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 12:40 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by SingleSpeeDemon
Beautiful bike. I realize this isn't exactly what you're looking for based upon your bike's aesthetic, but Gevenalle has a brake lver/shifter combo for Shimano IGH.

UX ? Compatible with Shimano Internally Geared Hubs | Gevenalle
That is interesting. I wonder if there are many drop-bar roadbikes out there with the Nexus/Alfine IGHs. I wouldn't think so, as every hunch-backed speed demon I have ever met is obsessed with weight and efficiency, and the IGH scores worse than a high-end derailleur setup in both categories.

But somebody must have done research that reveals sufficient demand to go into production with these.
Old 08-04-16, 12:44 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
I am pretty sure I have seen somewhere that that nexus 8/afline 8 can use the same shifter. So it seems like a reasonable bet, so I should try it! It is way cheaper than the jtek bar end anyway! I'll post here if I get it done!
Right, Nexus 8 works OK with Alfine 8 shifter.
Old 12-07-16, 02:30 PM
ApplePie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! First time poster. I hope I am not reviving the dead. First off, beautiful bike. I have some questions about this Microshift SL-NO8 shifter that I can't seem to get answered elsewhere and I think you could. There are two distinct versions of the Alfine 8. There is the SG-S7000 version that shifts from a top normal position and the older SG-501 that is bottom normal. There are also other versions with slightly different model numbers and non-major mechanical differences, but the shifting seems like the biggest change.

I have the SG-S7000 and I am planning to pair it with Gevenalle shifters. I sent them an email asking what version of hub their Alfine 8 shifter was designed for and they said the older version. Now I'm trying to figure out what model hub the Microshift SL-N08 was designed for, but I have not hear back from Microshift. My question for you is what version of Alfine 8 do you have? Thank you.
Old 12-07-16, 03:07 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by ApplePie
...I have some questions about this Microshift SL-NO8 shifter that I can't seem to get answered elsewhere and I think you could. There are two distinct versions of the Alfine 8. There is the SG-S7000 version that shifts from a top normal position and the older SG-501 that is bottom normal.
I have an SG-S501 and can verify it shifts "backwards" from standard derailleur type shifting. The more cable you pull, the higher gear you go into. Don't know about the other models.

Originally Posted by DQRider
That is interesting. I wonder if there are many drop-bar roadbikes out there with the Nexus/Alfine IGHs. I wouldn't think so, as every hunch-backed speed demon I have ever met is obsessed with weight and efficiency, and the IGH scores worse than a high-end derailleur setup in both categories.

But somebody must have done research that reveals sufficient demand to go into production with these.
Ha! I'm definitely a hunchback, but not much of a speed demon. Simply cannot abide upright bars. And truthfully, I only got into the IGH thing because I scored a crazy cheap set of wheels on CL, built around the Alfine-8 Hub and ready to plug-and-play. I'm quite happy with my unobtrusive-looking JTek barcon shifter, but will admit that Gevenalle setup looks pretty intriguing as well. I like how they are straightforward in their publicity photos as to the need for an in-line cable adjuster. Must-have for this kinda hub.

Here's my Alfine+JTek setup. It's a dropbar, alright, but not a racer. IIRC, it's little over 28 lbs as built:

1972 Lambert Grand Prix framed frankebike
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 09-16-20 at 11:37 PM.
Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 12-07-16, 09:00 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Why not use the Shimano shift levers made for that hub???

They even have a built-in barrel adjuster.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 12-07-16 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-09-16, 01:18 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I forgot to update. I did get the Microshift thumb shifter installed. It is mostly fine but I need to get my cable adjusted, the cable is a bit too short causing some skipping. I think the shop I went to isn't great. So that is in the works soon.

It looks cleaner, but I am also tempted to do the upside down way too.
Old 12-09-16, 11:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
This thread makes me think someone might be able to make a programmable servo motor that pulls the desired amount of cable between shifts and can be programmed for various IGHs, road derailleurs, and MTB derailleurs. With @Dan Burkhart's cable pull measuring machine, we can collect the data to put in the programs.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-25-17, 06:14 AM
Abouna

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a great looking bike.
Old 09-16-20, 09:07 AM
elbowging

Bikes: 1960 Raleigh Sports, 1973 Schwinn Deluxe Twinn, 2007 Bianchi Volpe, 1973 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
This is a pretty old thread now but I wanted to add my ongoing experience/insights with the Microshift SL-N08 used with a Shimano Nexus 8. I originally had this on a Schwinn Deluxe Twinn converted to IGH but I've since moved the wheel over to another bike which I ride far more often. I had terrible issues keeping the shifting dialed in until I finally realized that the threaded barrel adjuster on the shifter unit was not staying adjusted! I found this out by marking a dash with a silver pen both on the twisty part and the shifter body - I observed it would move out of alignment over the course of the ride. I solved this issue with a dab of threadlocker and now it works perfectly. Of course, eventually I will have to make adjustments to keep things dialed in, but in the year or so since I applied threadlocker, it's been hitting all 8 gears perfectly.
Likes For elbowging:
Old 09-16-20, 11:41 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Why not use the Shimano shift levers made for that hub???

They even have a built-in barrel adjuster.
Very delayed answer, but the shifter that comes with the Alfine 8 hub is sized for the typical narrower diameter of a flat bar setup; won't work on most drop bars or other types with a bend involved. At least the was the case with mine.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman: