Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1973 Peugeot UE8 Value. Help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 12:20 AM
MattBeal86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1973 Peugeot UE8 Value. Help please

I recently came across a vintage Peugeot road bike. The original idea was to tear down and rebuild as a hobby. With very little knowledge of anything about bicycles I didn’t realize what I was actually buying. There was no saddle/seat, tires were dry rotted, most of the chrome had some amount of rust, and all the cables/housing were in need of replacing. After looking into it for a couple of weeks I’ve decided I have a 1973ish UE8. My questions are:

How rare is this bike?
There’s a good amount of rust on the frame at the “crankset” I believe is the proper term. Would I be making a mistake in removing rust and repainting? I intend to reproduce the decals in the paint process as I said was intending on being a hobby.
Is the bike possibly better to sell to a collector who’d appreciate the bike and I just move to the next one for a play thing? I have no attachment to the bike other than the chrome forks, fenders and lights are pretty cool.

Apologies in advance for no pics this is my first post and I understand the ten post rule. Also my terminology definitely could use work.
Old 09-22-20, 05:09 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Welcome to the Bike Forums.

The UE8 is not a rare bicycle and, for what it is worth, rare is not, necessarily, a feature that defines value in a vintage road bicycle. That said, without pictures and knowing where you live, it is pretty darn difficult to help appraise a bicycle. In good original condition, a hundred to two hundred dollars, tops.

Rust removal might not be as big an issue as one might think. It is possible that the rust, if surface in nature, can be removed. I use a piece of aluminum foil, crumbled up with the shiny side out, to rub the rust away (give it a try). Others use other methods for rust removal.

As for painting the bike, that is a big No No, in my opinion. Original is the most valuable and collectable and sought after, when it comes to vintage road bicycles. Long have I resisted the urge to paint my old Legnano. Perhaps one day but not two day (I like that play on words)...

Paint will cost to do and will, likely, lower the value of the bike in the process (I know that this does not make much sense but trust me on this one - for now). I just finished applying the art to this frame and today, I plan to shoot the top clear coats. The cost to paint and art this frame is about $200 so far and I would not have spent a dime, if any of the chrome was pitted...

Decals? Make your own for cheap, if you know how, or just buy a lovely set from a fellow in Australia. This decal set is a product that I got from him...

You need to clean the bike up as best you can. Then you need to lubricate the bike, ensuring that the bottom bracket, head set and wheel hubs get fresh grease. New cables might be in order. New brake pads also. Tires are most likely in need of replacement. Those items, alone will run close to a hundred dollars. If you cannot do the work yourself, add on another hundred bucks.

But fear not, you have come to the right place to determine value and how to get the most out of your Peugeot. Make no mistake, though not a high end steed, the bike will prove fun to street restore while allowing you to learn and make new friends, here at Bike Forums. So...

Get ten posts in and then you can start sharing pictures of the Peugeot. Tell us where you live, how you came to have the bike, and stuff like that. In no time, sharing useful information, will help you reach the ten post goal. I am looking forward to seeing the bike.
Old 09-22-20, 05:18 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The UE 8 is a fine bike and well worth fixing up but it is particularly rare or valuable. Evaporust is your friend in dealing with rust on the crank. You will want to remove it and since it is a cottered crank you will want to read up on how to do this.

The bottom line is that you likely will want to strip the bike down to the frame. That will allow you to clean the parts and the frame efficiently. There are ways of dealing with rust on the chrome (try aluminum foil dipped in salt water, also mothers polish is very good). I would simply touch up the paint as needed rather than repaint the bike but a lot depends on the condition.

This is my 1970s UE 8. It came to me with flat bars and levers but otherwise was original. I am in the process of rebuilding it with alloy wheels and a cotterless crank. Good luck with yours.

Partially rebuilt

As found in the wild
Old 09-22-20, 10:30 PM
MattBeal86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live on the Alabama Georgia border, Columbus to be specific. I bought the bike off Facebook Marketplace.