Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 Battery Charge Problem

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 02:01 PM
mikefearn83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there.

I cannot get my Di2 to charge for some reason. Its the R8050 with the internal battery. When plugged into a wall charger the charge light on the charger comes on for a few seconds then goes off.

The whole system works fine still so looks like everything is connected OK.

Any ideas. Thanks.
Old 09-22-20, 02:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My kid had this problem, and it turned out the bike shop found a loose connection and just popped it in properly. He hasn't complained since, so I think it solved the problem. Give a very gentle tug on each end of each wire, just to check. If that doesn't turn up anything, run a diagnostic (or have the shop do it).
Old 09-22-20, 04:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
What's the output amperage of the charger? Might as well note the voltage too while you are looking. The first time I tried to charge mine I'd grabbed a 5 volt dc 0.5 amp output charger and it didn't work. With a 5 vdc 1.5 amp or better charger it charged.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-22-20, 06:38 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
You can use the etube program to make sure everything is connected properly and firmware up to date. You’ll need to plug into the main module or, if you have the wireless unit, you can connect over Bluetooth.
Old 09-22-20, 06:49 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
check the integrity of all cables, i burned one of the di2 cable by heating the heat-shrink too hot, took a while to figure it out
Old 09-23-20, 07:36 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Use a different wall adapter plug. The one you are using doesn't have enough amps.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-24-20, 09:36 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I have run into this before and found 2 different things that have solved it. I unplugged the battery for a few minutes. This is a sort of system reset for it. Second time was a bad/loose connection. etube didn't turn anything up but re-seating all of the wires took care of the issue.

Easiest is to swap charging adapters as others have mentioned. If the output of your adapter is too low then it will kick off the charging. If that doesn't work then try what I listed. All solutions are no cost and just take time. After that if the problem persists then you might have a bad battery. If you have another Di2 bike or a friend who will let you borrow their batter then swap them and see if the problem goes away.

Likes For Psimet2001: