Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Diamond Back serial numbers?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 05:27 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

I didn't find a Diamond Back serial number thread. Does anyone know where I can unlock the mystery? I have an early 80s Ridge Runner with serial number N3G6516.

This frame also has some scrapes and paint missing from the fork ends and chain/seat stays. It seems to be chromed under the paint. Does anyone have any thoughts or info on that? Does it sound odd that this early 80s MTB would have a chromed fork and stays?
Old 02-17-19, 07:36 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Tmar has an Asian serial number thread, sticky. Good place to look.
Old 02-17-19, 08:07 PM
3speed

Well thanks for that info! That’s why I couldn’t find a Diamondback specific one. Now I’m able to date my Bridgestone anyway. Unfortunately it doesn’t match up for my Diamond Back, unless I’m misunderstanding something. I think I have a G where there should be a number. The first two parts make sense, though. The code dates it as an 83, and I’m pretty sure it is.
Old 02-18-19, 08:34 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Well thanks for that info! That’s why I couldn’t find a Diamondback specific one. Now I’m able to date my Bridgestone anyway. Unfortunately it doesn’t match up for my Diamond Back, unless I’m misunderstanding something. I think I have a G where there should be a number. The first two parts make sense, though. The code dates it as an 83, and I’m pretty sure it is.
The serial number is correct. It was manufactured in 1983 by a company believed to be Tano. There is some speculation over whether the 'G' represents a month (May) or a forthnight (weeks 13-14). Either way, it should be a 1983 model. It is the same format and source as used by Centurion, Diamond Back's sister brand of road bicycles. Typically, this serial number format has not been reported on Diamond Back but if you look at Centurion it will direct you to manufacturer N(1), where your format is covered.

Edit: If you're looking to restore, I have the OEM specs.

Last edited by T-Mar; 02-18-19 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 04:14 PM
3speed

Thanks, T-Mar! I don't Think I'll be doing an original restore on this one. The current plan is to use it as a commuter/touring bike overseas for a year or two. After that I'm thinking of stripping the paint and using the repaint to accent the lugs a little more and maybe build it up with with some hammered fenders and fat cream colored tires or something. Depending on how this chrome looks once I get the paint off, maybe leave it with chromed fork ends and stays. That'll be a while, though,so who knows what I'll decide to do with it in the end.
Old 02-19-19, 10:19 AM
T-Mar

Thanks, T-Mar! I don't Think I'll be doing an original restore on this one. The current plan is to use it as a commuter/touring bike overseas for a year or two. After that I'm thinking of stripping the paint and using the repaint to accent the lugs a little more and maybe build it up with with some hammered fenders and fat cream colored tires or something. Depending on how this chrome looks once I get the paint off, maybe leave it with chromed fork ends and stays. That'll be a while, though,so who knows what I'll decide to do with it in the end.
The one piece of info that may interest you, in case you don't already know, is that the frame material was specified as plain gauge CrMo. Given the era and manufacturer, it's almost certainly Tange #5 . I've update the Asian Serial Number Guide to include N(1) as a Diamond Back source based on your contribution.
Old 02-19-19, 04:04 PM
3speed

My frame does have a Tange #5 sticker in the standard spot on the seat tube, just under the top tube. You can certainly tell they used robust tubing when you feel the weight of the frame. This thing is a beast compared to my road bikes. The couple things I find odd about it are that doesn't have a second set of water bottle mounts on the seat tube, which other pictures I've found of the bike have two water bottle mounts(down-tube and seat-tube). And that it seems to be chromed on the lower half of the fork blades and on the seat and chain stays. Everything else about the bike certainly seems to fit, from lugs to dropouts to original headset and BB. Those couple oddities must have just been a weird variance in production?
Old 02-22-19, 02:47 PM
T-Mar

My frame does have a Tange #5 sticker in the standard spot on the seat tube, just under the top tube. You can certainly tell they used robust tubing when you feel the weight of the frame. This thing is a beast compared to my road bikes. The couple things I find odd about it are that doesn't have a second set of water bottle mounts on the seat tube, which other pictures I've found of the bike have two water bottle mounts(down-tube and seat-tube). And that it seems to be chromed on the lower half of the fork blades and on the seat and chain stays. Everything else about the bike certainly seems to fit, from lugs to dropouts to original headset and BB. Those couple oddities must have just been a weird variance in production?
The mid-1980s were the 1st generation of mass produced ATBS and they tended to overbuild them. They knew they were going to be highly stressed but they really didn't have any idea of the loads, so they erred on the side of caution. As they gained more experience and feedback, they started to pare the weight.

My literature also shows a set of bottle bosses on the seat tube and no chrome. However, this was before they developed offset cages that could fit over a front derailleur clamp. Consequently, both bosses sat above the front derailleur and this could cause tight fits on small frames, so small sizes sometimes had to do without or had the 2nd set placed on the down tube. Alternately, the variations in these features could be manufacturer dependent. As I started earlier, this isn't the typical manufacturer for Diamond Back of the era.
Old 03-25-20, 04:58 AM
bdczkdc0803

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diamond back ?

What about f4084699
Old 03-25-20, 06:36 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by bdczkdc0803
What about f4084699
Your frame was manufactured by Fairly of Taiwan, during August of a year ending in a 4. We'd need more information to determine if it's 1984 or 1994. Also, the August to September period is manufacturers typically start building the new models, so it could be a 1985 or 1995 model.
Old 09-20-20, 11:04 AM
HMM77

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diamondback Silver Streak

Tried looking this up but web pages all seem to be inactive. My son’s dad gave him his silver streak and I’m just looking for a bit more info about it. Serial number is 3h2720 with a little baseball after it. I see bikes like this on eBay for ridiculous amounts- wondering what makes one more valuable than another? It needs a little TLC, not sure what is best to use to clean up a few small rust spots. It’s a heavy bike and the stickers are all in tact which amazes me ha!
Old 09-20-20, 11:10 AM
JOSHUASTJOHN

Bikes: DiamondBack 20-in

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HMM77
Tried looking this up but web pages all seem to be inactive. My son’s dad gave him his silver streak and I’m just looking for a bit more info about it. Serial number is 3h2720 with a little baseball after it. I see bikes like this on eBay for ridiculous amounts- wondering what makes one more valuable than another? It needs a little TLC, not sure what is best to use to clean up a few small rust spots. It’s a heavy bike and the stickers are all in tact which amazes me ha!
The baseball ⚾ mostly means it was made in Japan and is a good thing.But the reasons behind were the baseball is located before or after the serial number,and just Alot of crap you have to ask a DB expert,it' can be very detailed and confusing. On the BMX museum website there's a guy who goes by DB expert and he knows all of that information on the early DBs. For some reason they have become collectors items.
Old 03-04-22, 02:52 PM
osbmxuk

Bikes: Diamond Back Silver Streak

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Baseball is a Kanji (Japanese Symbol).. It's the symbol (logo) for the company called Koizumi, they were the Japanese manufacturer of DiamondBack BMX frames from 1979 to 1984.
Old 01-31-23, 06:31 PM
Balloontyre

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Odd serial number and placement on Diamond Back

Ghost town

Last edited by Balloontyre; 02-11-23 at 07:48 AM.