Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Lowrider MTB! Yes you read that right

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Old 10-23-19, 05:08 AM
RideLugged

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I lived in Brazil for a little bit a while back and the lowrider culture is huge there. This includes bikes, and from what I've seen techniques include everything from bending steel frames and forks to repositioning dropouts halfway up the seat stays. However, one technique that branches away from traditional steel road frames is the practice of taking the rear suspension out of MTB frames and pivoting the rear all the way up, as well as taking double crown forks and mounting them with the second crown above the bars, or... something. Anyone done one of these or seen one up close? I never had the chance to talk with a low bike owner, I could just hear them as they pedal scraped on by
Old 10-23-19, 08:24 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i've seen pictures of them. brazil bikes. they don't look very practical or rideable, but they seem happy with them.

i haven't made a lowrider bike, but i have made a lot of stretch cruisers, which some put in the same category. a couple of the last ones i started with a mountain bike (one actually a fat bike). photobucket is useless to me now, but i'll see if i can link a pic from facebook here in a bit.
Old 10-23-19, 08:57 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
in both cases i got wheels from the local co-op, and since they know me they gave me the bent frames they came from. i used the chain and seat stays from both (mongoose dolomite fat bike. i forgot what the other was. semi fat 29x3. used the front fork and head tube from that one also).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1893755323993823&set=p.1893755323993823&type=3&theate

i picked up one more mountain bike that should end up about the same (another mongoose. the 26" mountain bike they sold for a while with mags). they'll be my 3 pedal bobber style bikes.

Last edited by Philphine; 10-28-19 at 08:36 AM.