Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

I love my Bike !

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 10:14 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
I love my Bike !

I own a few bikes , including some bought new .
But I love this bike !
It’s an old Specialized Hardrock , that I’ve rebuilt to suit me . Built for everyday riding .
Nothing I own or have ridden , rides as smooth as this bike .
Old 06-25-20, 05:37 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 95 Posts
Tell us about the rebuild. What size tires for instance? Did you do the rebuild or a shop?
Old 06-28-20, 10:02 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by good4u
Tell us about the rebuild. What size tires for instance? Did you do the rebuild or a shop?
I did the rebuild myself .
New 36 spoke wheels , new cassette (11-28) , new derailleur, new chain , and new platform pedals with pedal extenders that help with my knee pains .
I swapped out both front and rear cantilever brakes for new Shimano V-brakes . Easier pull and stop better . New shifters too, along with new brake levers . All new cables too .
Of course , new tubes to go with the 2.5x26 Maxxis Hookworm tires . I love these tires . They are heavy , but hug the payment and roll great . And they absorb shocks .
Saddle is a Brooks Imperial.
It’s an awesome smooth pedaling , riding bike .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 06-29-20 at 04:58 PM.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 07-02-20, 12:26 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
That is a very cool rebuild. I use pedal extenders because my size 14 feet will hit the rear forks if I don't. The older steel MTB's were built with so many features that one can build everything from an around the world tour bike to an old school dirt thrasher. The price is just right for older steel 26" wheel used MTB's so rebuilding makes a lot of sense. I do the same with new to me used bicycles. Keep up the good work.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 07-02-20, 01:05 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by good4u
and what are your wheels..did you build them yourself
Old 07-02-20, 04:38 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by 257 roberts
and what are your wheels..did you build them yourself
wheels came from “ Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. “ I’ve had good luck with their wheels . I’ve bought several sets from them . Shimano hubs , heavy duty 36 Count spokes .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 07-04-20, 02:54 PM
KFrost

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Really reminds me of my specialized Roll Elite!
Old 07-04-20, 06:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Up periscope!
Old 07-04-20, 07:23 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Up periscope!
If you were 69 years young with arthritis in both hands , you’d raise your handlebars And take the weight off them too . 😄
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-22-20, 11:34 AM
OldCruiser

Made some changes to my Hardrock.
Made the switch to 1X7 with a Single 32 tooth oval chainring. And swapped out the Maxxis Hookworms for some Panaracer 26x1.75 tires .
Now she’s faster , easier to pedal , coasts better downhill.
I rarely used the small chainring on the triple and never used the big one .
Now I’m up and down the whole cassette . Close gearing with a 12-30 rear cassette. Smooth shifts .
Went back to my Planet bike saddle too.

Old 08-23-20, 08:21 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
What is the rear hub spacing on your bike? My old Stumpjumper has a rear hub spacing of 126mm.
Old 08-23-20, 09:47 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
What is the rear hub spacing on your bike? My old Stumpjumper has a rear hub spacing of 126mm.
Not sure , I’ve never measured .
I thought the new rear wheel I bought for it told what width it is , but I can’t find it now . I know the new wheel dropped right in .
It’s getting harder to find a rim brake wheel . These are setup for either rim or disc brakes .
Id like to pickup another frame and build a spare .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-23-20 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 10:37 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

changes, changes

I love older paid for long ago bicycles. It is easy and cheap to modify their systems, put on new wheel sets, try something new. Kirby999 like you I don't want to have unused gearing on a bicycle. At my age that means anything bigger than a 42 on the cranks for a road bike and 34 for an all rounder bicycle is not useful to me. Can't pull those high gears any more. I have an old Schwinn Varsity that I respaced the rear dropouts and put in a 135mm MTB hub and a 10 speed cassette. I use a 28 tooth front chainring for a nice 1x10 setup. The cassette is an 11x34. High gear is good for about 18mph tops. This is a nice simple setup and has worked flawlessly. Low gear gets me up the levees here which usually have very steep roads leading to their tops. I've been running 40mm Schwalbe Marathon plus 700c tires on the Schwinn and they go equally well off road and on. This bike started life with me with much taller bars and internal gear hubs on the rear. After wearing out a Shimano 7 speed internal geared hub I tried a Strumey Archer 5 speed internal geared hub and a Shimano Alfine 11 speed internal geared hub. Both were failed experiments in poor shifting for the Sturmey and a general failure in the Shimano Alfine after just 2 years of service. At that point I gave up on the internal geared hub dream and embraced my inner derailer self and built the rear as it is now. A very satisfying sweet running system. As you note you tend to use all the gears all the time. No unused gears including the 11 on the cassette.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 08-24-20, 05:13 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I love older paid for long ago bicycles. It is easy and cheap to modify their systems, put on new wheel sets, try something new. Kirby999 like you I don't want to have unused gearing on a bicycle. At my age that means anything bigger than a 42 on the cranks for a road bike and 34 for an all rounder bicycle is not useful to me. Can't pull those high gears any more. I have an old Schwinn Varsity that I respaced the rear dropouts and put in a 135mm MTB hub and a 10 speed cassette. I use a 28 tooth front chainring for a nice 1x10 setup. The cassette is an 11x34. High gear is good for about 18mph tops. This is a nice simple setup and has worked flawlessly. Low gear gets me up the levees here which usually have very steep roads leading to their tops. I've been running 40mm Schwalbe Marathon plus 700c tires on the Schwinn and they go equally well off road and on. This bike started life with me with much taller bars and internal gear hubs on the rear. After wearing out a Shimano 7 speed internal geared hub I tried a Strumey Archer 5 speed internal geared hub and a Shimano Alfine 11 speed internal geared hub. Both were failed experiments in poor shifting for the Sturmey and a general failure in the Shimano Alfine after just 2 years of service. At that point I gave up on the internal geared hub dream and embraced my inner derailer self and built the rear as it is now. A very satisfying sweet running system. As you note you tend to use all the gears all the time. No unused gears including the 11 on the cassette.
Nice Bike ! Bet it’s a joy to ride .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-24-20, 07:18 AM
tallbikeman

Originally Posted by kirby999
Nice Bike ! Bet it’s a joy to ride .
These old Schwinn Varsity's were designed to be cheap, durable, with very slack head and seat post angles. Lots of room around the original 27x1 1/4 tires for fenders. It has 700c now but will fit those 40mm tires because of all the room. Still has original kickstand. I got it for free because old Varsity's were just being thrown away. I've had it for 20+ yrs. I'm 6'5" and as pictured this bike fits me very well. It has low vibration when riding on rough surfaces. I get lots of exercise lugging all that Chicago steel around. This is my favorite bicycle and I ride it all the time.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 08-24-20, 02:58 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Nice bike, I like the chain guard. I guess I'm surprised that you have had so much trouble with the IGH's. My daughter has a Bianchi with an 8-speed IGH and it works fine after 5 years, but she doesn't put too many miles on it.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 08-24-20 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-24-20, 03:44 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Nice bike, I like the chain guard. I guess I'm surprised that you have had so much trouble with the IGH's. My daughter has a Bianchi with an 8-speed IGH and it works fine after 5 years, but she doesn't put too many miles on it.
I own an almost new 3speed Nexus wheelset I bought It new about five years ago to convert my old black Electra C1 to three speed .
I ordered it because I’d read how bomb proof they are and how easy they are to setup .
I’ve never been able to use it because I can’t get it to shift right . I line up the little yellow bar between the lines like they say to do and it won’t shift . I adjusted it way in once and it worked for about two trips up and the street in front of my house before it messed up again and wouldn’t shift .
I read some were shipped with the wrong spring/pin about the time I bought mine and ordered the correct spring/pin . And the one I got was exact The same length as the one I already had .
Ive tried several times to set it and can’t get it to work .
It’s sitting in the garage , hopefully, one day I’ll find the patience to give it another try .
Guess I’m not the only person who rather deal with a derailleur than an internal geared hub .
Old 08-31-20, 04:24 PM
OldCruiser

An update on my Hardrock.
It continues to evolve.
I’m trying to create the most comfortable riding bike possible.
Added trekking bars today .
I like them so far , as I make small adjustments in angles .
I had these on my Specialized Roll , but decided they would best on the Hardrock.
I’ve ordered a set for my Rockhopper.