Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to change a grip shifter - LBS or DIY?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 07:32 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Well, I just learned how to replace the 3 chains on our DaVinci Grand Junction. In a separate thread, I asked whether there is a grip shifter that would be better than the SRAM Centera 9-Speed Twist shifter that needs replacing. No one has suggested a better grip shifter, and I think I want to stay with that type of shifter for now. So, the question is whether I should attempt to replace it myself or whether it is better to get a LBS to do it. I have a long enough shifter cable and I will order the shifter. If I attempt doing it myself, I will need a crimping tool and whatever those ends are that get crimped onto the ends of the cable. Can anyone suggest a tool for this?

How hard is it to replace the grip shifter? A LBS replaced it for me last time and the gear indicator did not work from the get go.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-20, 10:14 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
It's easier than working with chains. You don't need any special tools other than a good cable cutter.. The little cable ends that get crimped on, you can use a side cutter or even the inside cutting edge on any needlenose pliers will do the trick.
Just put one or two light crimps on it. Don't squeeze so hard that you cut through the cable end or cable.
Old 09-20-20, 11:42 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro00
A LBS replaced it for me last time and the gear indicator did not work from the get go.
The barrel of the shifter is (seemingly) on a one way ratchet, and I for two (your LBS guy being #1 ) couldn't find a way to get it back to home position for any amount of money, cussin', or other persuasion. Believe it or not I have found that bike co-op's have a much higher dedication ethic to getting things right. Their turn-around is also much, much faster. "While you wait" is not at all an unreasonable expectation. Good luck.