Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame chroming..

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Frame chroming..

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 07:30 PM
SilverSteve

Bikes: 2003 Iron Horse comfort bike (daily rider); 1981(?) Raleigh Super Grand Prix 25.5", 1983 Raleigh Super Course, 25.5", Austro-Daimler Inter 10, 1988 Trek 560 25.5"; 1986 Peugeot Mont Cenis 64cm.; more to come

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Frame chroming..

My old Dawes Galaxy; the paint is peeling in spots and it's chrome underneath - all over the bike! They must've chromed the whole frame! Wondering if you know if the factory treated the chrome tubes any way before they painted it, or did they just spray over the chrome? Please enlighten me, thanks.
Old 03-11-19, 07:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
that's pretty common. I don't think there is any special treatment before painting chrome. Note that they wouldn't have polished where they were going to paint, so the chrome isn't as smooth. Not sure if that really helps the paint stick any better though.
Old 03-11-19, 09:06 PM
aprieto28

Bikes: Kuwahara Tandem, Centurion Ironman, Rossin, De bernardi, Schwinn Paramount, Giubilato, Gitane TDF, Medici, Scott Solice.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts
Polished Chrome Frame

I don't know how they do it, but they do paint over polished chrome. this was a painted frame before previous owner stripped the paint.
Old 03-11-19, 09:27 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,048 Posts
Paint usually does not stick well to chromed parts (even unpolished). While I was getting an old Schwinn LeTour III frame powdercoated I decided to do the fork myself. I applied some stripper to the fork (California-approved stuff, so it wasn't as strong as I would have liked, which turned out to be a blessing) and it easily took off the paint to reveal a fork chromed all the way up to the steerer tube. No damage to the chrome from the stripper. Overall it was a nice surprise and looks great on the re-assembled bicycle.
Old 03-11-19, 09:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
Originally Posted by aprieto28
I don't know how they do it, but they do paint over polished chrome. this was a painted frame before previous owner stripped the paint.
it would be interesting to know if that was cromovelato https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-how-done.html

It looks great, most people report it is fragile. Then again, I always thought the paint on my Viner was made of something akin to Chiclets, it chipped so easily
Old 03-11-19, 09:48 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts
Has anyone ever "chrome" coated a bike using the process they use for mirrors?

I saw an episode of "West Coast Customs", a car show, wherein they "chrome plated" a car using a spray-on process. The coating is actually pure silver (not chrome) and there is a clear overcoat so it does not corrode. It is a commercial process but does not rely on plating chromium. IIRC, it was a conversion coating - they spray on a silver compound and immediately convert it to pure silver using a second compound coming from a second spray head. I know, it sounds crazy but it worked, is commercialized (so it is credible).

Any ever heard of this or used it?
Old 03-12-19, 11:45 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1306 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 5,966 Times in 2,328 Posts
If the chrome is mirror smooth, paint won't stick to it well.

Old 03-19-19, 08:20 PM
aprieto28

Bikes: Kuwahara Tandem, Centurion Ironman, Rossin, De bernardi, Schwinn Paramount, Giubilato, Gitane TDF, Medici, Scott Solice.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts
1982 NOS Miyata Proferrisonal

This one is fully chromed under the original paint.
Old 03-19-19, 08:31 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 562 Posts
Many Italian bikes were fully chromed under the psint........that is why people came up with the term "quick realease paint" for 80's Italian bikes.....