Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

To the C&Vers of BF: do you have a local C&V community or do you go it alone?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

To the C&Vers of BF: do you have a local C&V community or do you go it alone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-18, 06:28 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I go it alone as most riders around here are only interested in the latest and greatest technology has to offer (nothing wrong with that). I am going to make 2019 the year that I get out to events where vintage road bikes are ridden and appreciated. The funny thing is, when I was racing, none of my bikes meant anything to me; they were just a tool and I treated them as such. Now that I'm older I've grown fond of what I rode back then and the bike means more to me. I suspect the real truth is when I was young and strong I loved my ability to make the bike fly, now that's diminished and I love the bike instead
Old 12-24-18, 06:53 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
I am fortunate to have a very C&V friendly bike shop nearby (owner is a BMXer that loves all C&V), and there are a couple of guys that appreciate vintage bikes there (few ride them though) so I have somewhere to occasionally show off my latest find; however mostly wrench and ride by myself. Luckily my wife likes to ride old stuff too so we do get out together sometimes!
Old 12-24-18, 07:19 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
There's one other guy near me that I know of (from the forum), but we've never met personally.
Mostly just the CF club .......
Old 12-24-18, 07:40 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
It's nice to meet so many loners and antisocials in this thread. I am another. And would be even if I rode crabon.
Old 12-24-18, 08:01 AM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS

I think I saw once that you are in the Chicago area? If so, I’d love to know what LBS you are talking about. PM me if you don’t want to post it.

I myself am in the Western Suburbs.
The shop is Main Street Bicycles in Carpentersville. He is right on the Fox River Trail. Has a nice collection of vintage hanging on his shop walls. They have vintage parts bins too. Real nice people. They are very involved in the community, maintaining the trails in the local forest preserve as well as hosting a big Cross Race in the area.

https://www.mainstbicycles.com/
Old 12-24-18, 08:09 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
I don't know that there is a C&V "community" here but there is a "Steel is Real" ride in September that is mostly C&V and brings out some aficionados. I try to make that. Otherwise I generally am a loner. I'll definitely talk C&V with people out and about when I notice their bike, or they mine. When at any event, bike or not, on my 68 Raleigh it always sparks conversation with C&V admirers.
Old 12-24-18, 08:14 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
I'm the lone c&v'er in the group I ride with.
Jon
Same.

No one is as impressed with my 25 year old mtb's as I am.

Sure, they like to look at them, but zero interest in owning them.

Most of these guys get a new mtb every year or two and that's pretty hard to keep up with nowadays. $$$$$

As for road riding, I only ride with my wife or her group.

They have zero interest in old steel. Custom stuff yes, but old no.

All CF or aluminum.
Old 12-24-18, 08:32 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Same.
All CF or aluminum.
Utilitarian Wenches. Fondly said.
All about the ride, and getting it done.
No nonsense.
​​​​​ 💘 'em.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-24-18 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-24-18, 08:59 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Utilitarian Wenches. Fondly said.
All about the ride, and getting it done.
No nonsense.
​​​​​ 💘 'em.
Hah, all of them are faster than I am.

I noticed that no one asks me to take a turn pulling anymore.

Never hear a complaint though, when we are out for a day tour and I carry all of the rain wear, tools, food and cooking supplies on my Bilenky or Blackborow.

I guess everyone has their place, right!
Old 12-24-18, 09:07 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
A lot of the guys I ride with have their old steel hanging in their garage. Some others fondly remember their old steel and express sorrow for letting them go. But they all ride carbon today and many of them are electronic and with disk brakes.
Old 12-24-18, 09:20 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Same.

Sure, they like to look at them, but zero interest in owning them.

Most of these guys get a new mtb every year or two and that's pretty hard to keep up with nowadays. $$$$$

All CF or aluminum.
This, and its getting weird. There's a click of people that I sometimes ride with -- MTB and road -- where they continuously take a hit on trade in and buy new. They talk like racers, have all the gadgets and brag about their strava crap. Perhaps good for the shop but can't wrap my head around their thinking.

They're not better riders by doing so, and actually some are snobs and rather vocal yo those on older carbon bikes. I've witnessed it when some rider arrived on an older Kestrel and another with a four year old Felt. Though its my fun when I turn it up a notch while on old steel. Especially late season and feeling good... smoke some of them..lol

Its getting really weird too. The one bike shop doesn't even want the trades because he can't floor plan or borrow for as in new inventory. Low balls almost new condition obe, two years old carbon
bikes. And potential used buyers are even weirder thinking it might have a hidden crack and might as well pop for only new. No one wants used carbon bikes. Cheap. Many stores have to rely on this business model.

Part III. Its the advent of the 'race' bike E pedal assist market. Theres going to be a flood of used and cheap modern carbon MTB. I'm already seeing it. $6k when new, one and two years old now being dumped $1500. I talked to a few and they're going PAS high end type -MTB. High end e road are next.

Last edited by crank_addict; 12-24-18 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-24-18, 09:57 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,693 Times in 2,611 Posts
I ride regularly with neighborhood friends, all on vintage or custom steel. I also ride with the Veteran-Cycle Club New England chapter, which is old guys (and some gals) on old Brit bikes for monthly rides from Sept to June. And then there's the occasional organized centuries and tours with @rhm, @gugie, and others. I do plenty of solo riding, too, but riding with friends is important to me.
Old 12-24-18, 10:12 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
+1. Its why i usually tour alone. Now going to the grocery or coffee shop or bar with my gf works for me. Just cant handle guys in lycra.
Our club rides leave promptly at 8:30, no exceptions. There is usually a re-group 5 or 6 miles down the road where stragglers, usually me, can catch up. Last time I was 5 minutes late to the start (1 hour+ on the freeway). It took me a half hour to catch the slow-medium group, never saw the fast guys. I'm used to riding alone, being one of the faster slow guys, or one of the slower fast guys. It's all good, just ride. Lycra - it's not for every body.😉
Old 12-24-18, 10:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bought new got old ..all by myself ..
Old 12-24-18, 10:32 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by crank_addict
No one wants used carbon bikes. Cheap. Many stores have to rely on this business model.
Theres going to be a flood of used and cheap modern carbon MTB. I'm already seeing it. $6k when new, one and two years old now being dumped $1500. I talked to a few and they're going PAS high end type -MTB. High end e road are next.
That's right.

When Yeti came out with the SB5 plus, I knew I wanted one.

But I already had a lightly used standard SB5 and I put it on the local Marketplace and mtb boards.

Not even a nibble. I ended up getting most of the $$$$ out of it when I sold it to a friend that had crashed his bike at a race. He needed a new bike instantly and I got lucky.

I'll have to keep the Yeti forever and a day to get the money out of it. That shouldn't be an issue as it's the nicest mtb I have yet to own.

Thankfully my MB1 fills the hardtail needs atm.
Old 12-24-18, 10:37 AM
crank_addict
Banned

With fellow C&V enthusiast within a local radius, its been easier to short plan and ride. Though two moved away this last year, I try to encourage others and probably recruited a few newbies. Some in finding a classic, help rebuild and group ride.
Old 12-24-18, 11:05 AM
crank_addict
Banned

I certainly ENJOY the modern and latest. Having a blast with my new 29er carbon hardtail MTB. Scary enough that I'm eying a few near new 2017-18 FS. I don't know any locals in my age bracket riding technical off road so I risk solo but do occasionally ride with two younger and far talented riders. Good company.

Road- vintage / modern. Though I just don't have racer justification for a new carbon road, they're great machines. I get my -nostalgia- and workout riding an old classic, sometimes even a clunker. A few are really plush and can hold a fair speed with groups. I'm happy at that level and really don't need anything more.

Thursday night shootouts is where I get dusted. The team riders are of course on the latest steeds and vaporize. I've had saddle time in demo Di2 and 16-17 lbs CF bikes.... really, really like but again, I'm not racing. Also an area where it humbles with very competitive fellows. Drop ride.

An area I've been considering is track but on vintage. Perhaps one evening per week. I know of others with vintage pista but don't ride them. Would be fun to get together on a regular basis.
Old 12-24-18, 11:09 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Regularly did the big (60+) training ride back when C&V was new. Gave it up around 2003 with a bad case of bike burnout after living and breathing bikes for 10 years.

Prefer solo riding for fitness and to clear my head these days. Hectic schedule makes it difficult to ride with others - most rides occur after work.

Old 12-24-18, 12:20 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Quite a large number of C&V people in the PNW. When we've gotten together for rides we can usually count on 10-12 riders on varied vintage steel. Been down to Portland on a couple occasions and ridden with those guys/gals, too. However, most of the time I ride my own ride.

DD
Old 12-24-18, 12:28 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts

25 year old bike? Youngster (lol). My ride--my one and only--is an '84 Peugeot PH10 that I bought new. Are you the original owner of said mtb? Just curious.
Jon
Old 12-24-18, 12:36 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
It is me, three guys at the local LBS, and a scattering of others in the area - but no formal group.
Old 12-24-18, 12:37 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4681 Post(s)
Liked 5,799 Times in 2,284 Posts
Most of my riding is solo - commuting to work. It's the same ride every day, but I mix it up by taking different bikes from my quiver.

On weekends I prefer to ride with someone else. @Andy_K is my regular riding partner nowadays as we both have the same pace - start slow, then taper. I'll ride with rest of the PNW crowd whenever they're in town, and I've gone north a few times to meet up with some planned rides, but these are kinda "invite only" amongst friends and fellow C&V enthusiasts.

I really look forward to the few times each year I do a longer rides. Eroica California was a highlight last year, sleeping in an RV with 4 other friends. @scozim's Tour de Palouse was a lot of fun. Flying back to French Fender Day and riding with @rhm, @nlerner and meeting several BF'ers was great.

I've made some very good friends on this site. Mostly we communicate via posts. Getting together in person is always fun. I'm always left wanting for more time, but not necessarily riding.

Someone told me once, "we come for the bikes, we stay for the people."

To the OP - go into User CP from the home page and edit your location so it'll show up when you post. If you're looking to meet other BF members, you'll probably be surprised to find someone near you that will be happy to meet up for a ride.
Old 12-24-18, 12:54 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Get a Centurion Ironman , then you will have a lot of friends . And you will be thinking how do I get rid of this of this markwesti guy ? Merry Christmas .
Old 12-24-18, 01:00 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I swap parts with a couple of regular collectors but vintage riders don't exist in this small university town and county. I used to be able to ride with the local club but they've all gone 29'er because our region is so well suited to it. Our roads are dangerous with an aging population that can't drive for shy-t. My knee issues have kept me in the slow lane anyway.

Of course I hunt down anyone riding a nice C&V bike, barage them with questions until they get creeped out and start slowly inching away from me until they can make their escape. Then I can go home happy.
Old 12-24-18, 01:04 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm a Time Trial rider - a loner at least in the C&V world.

My two riding buddies could care less about old bikes. They ride newer carbon fiber bikes and honestly, I don't think they see the beauty in bikes. Its more of a tool for them than something to admire. I guess I'm fine with that, although I'm not sure I get it completely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.