Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NBD - Too Much Trek - Domane SLR UDi2 - ICON "Molten Marble"

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-09-19, 10:29 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts

So I had a post already drafted in the "What bike do you have" thread, and just went to finally submit the post with pictures today...and realized it was "closed for cleanup". So I'll just post a basic write-up here, and if the mods want to move it that's fine. If you look closely at the first picture, you can just see the snowy peak of Mt. Fuji towards the top center. I'm blessed with some pretty epic views where I live, despite it being a bit hazy today. Right, on to the bike...

2020 Trek Domane SLR7, with Ultegra Di2, and the Project ONE ICON "Molten Marble" paint scheme. - I added some Assioma DUO power meter pedals, but that's about it. It's a 52cm frame, and I might raise the seat a little more, though the shop did do a proper fit with my new shoes/cleats/pedals. I took it out for a very short ride...and it's absolutely amazing. Feels light and snappy compared to my Checkpoint, and it moves. Of course, a lot of you have proper lightweight race bikes that would make this feel like a boat, but to me, it feels like a missile. I have the IsoSpeed locked out as tight as it can go, so I feel the road a lot more, and I love that. I attacked a short .3 km hill climb segment on a base near me, and beat my previous best time by 6 seconds on my first go. 58s to 52s...which is insane in my mind. This is also taking into consideration that my Checkpoint was flat pedal, so this was my first time actually clipping in at all, let alone trying to go fast while clipped in. Bottom line, that was really neat to see, and I can't wait for my first real ride (once I get to feeling a bit better). Hope you all are having a wonderful fall weekend, and to all the prior soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines...thank you for your service! Hooah!

Old 11-10-19, 02:15 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I’m just gonna say it - I think you have the single best road bike on the market, for the money. It’s a bold statement but

that isospeed + tire clearance
that threaded BB
that storage
that di2
that paint
those wheels
that power meter

No pointless bling, just function. Not necessarily talking about race bikes ofc. I wish you and your bike many safe miles.

also, pro tip: make sure your pedal retention tension is all the way low. My first SPD pedals came with the max tension setting and I almost dislocated my knee trying to clip out. It also helps with emergency unclips.

Last edited by smashndash; 11-10-19 at 02:20 AM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 11-10-19, 03:44 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by smashndash
I’m just gonna say it - I think you have the single best road bike on the market, for the money. It’s a bold statement but

that threaded BB
that storage
that di2
that paint
those wheels
that power meter

No pointless bling, just function. Not necessarily talking about race bikes ofc. I wish you and your bike many safe miles.

also, pro tip: make sure your pedal retention tension is all the way low. My first SPD pedals came with the max tension setting and I almost dislocated my knee trying to clip out. It also helps with emergency unclips.
Well thank you very much for the kind words. I agree with everything you said. The storage compartment is being put to good use already with a CO2 pump, spare tube, multi-tool, and just enough room for a couple of small snacks.

When my LBS was fitting me, they totally set the tension as that was one of my primary concerns. It feels natural and not very difficult at all to unclip, which is good and hopefully will save my knees long term. Thank you for the advice!
Old 11-10-19, 04:09 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
In some developed countries, there are laws against this kind of thing.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 11-10-19, 05:50 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
Super nice!
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-10-19, 06:51 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
So I had a post already drafted in the "What bike do you have" thread, and just went to finally submit the post with pictures today...and realized it was "closed for cleanup". So I'll just post a basic write-up here, and if the mods want to move it that's fine. If you look closely at the first picture, you can just see the snowy peak of Mt. Fuji towards the top center. I'm blessed with some pretty epic views where I live, despite it being a bit hazy today. Right, on to the bike...

2020 Trek Domane SLR7, with Ultegra Di2, and the Project ONE ICON "Molten Marble" paint scheme. - I added some Assioma DUO power meter pedals, but that's about it. It's a 52cm frame, and I might raise the seat a little more, though the shop did do a proper fit with my new shoes/cleats/pedals. I took it out for a very short ride...and it's absolutely amazing. Feels light and snappy compared to my Checkpoint, and it moves. Of course, a lot of you have proper lightweight race bikes that would make this feel like a boat, but to me, it feels like a missile. I have the IsoSpeed locked out as tight as it can go, so I feel the road a lot more, and I love that. I attacked a short .3 km hill climb segment on a base near me, and beat my previous best time by 6 seconds on my first go. 58s to 52s...which is insane in my mind. This is also taking into consideration that my Checkpoint was flat pedal, so this was my first time actually clipping in at all, let alone trying to go fast while clipped in. Bottom line, that was really neat to see, and I can't wait for my first real ride (once I get to feeling a bit better). Hope you all are having a wonderful fall weekend, and to all the prior soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines...thank you for your service! Hooah!

Just bought the same spec but with the Pro Endurance (H1.5) fit and Trek Black logo on Dnister Black frame. Congrats on the new whip!
Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 11-10-19, 06:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Congrats! The Project One colorways are awesome. I'd love a Madone with the Cosmos scheme. It might not age well, but screw it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-10-19, 07:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Cool retro paint job!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-10-19, 08:07 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
Just bought the same spec but with the Pro Endurance (H1.5) fit and Trek Black logo on Dnister Black frame. Congrats on the new whip!
That's awesome! Can't wait to see pictures! This bike is something else, I'm loving it.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Congrats! The Project One colorways are awesome. I'd love a Madone with the Cosmos scheme. It might not age well, but screw it.
Thanks. Yea, I do love the colors they have available. The cosmos and refliptive are amazing...but I didn't know if I could live with them haha.
Old 11-10-19, 09:32 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
It’s a beautiful bike, enjoy and ride safe!

do they no longer do the seat mast topper, looks like a traditional seat post into the frame. My last Trek had a topper style seat post
Old 11-10-19, 12:42 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
That's awesome! Can't wait to see pictures! This bike is something else, I'm loving it.
A slightly different silhouette as you can see with the H1.5 fit. Still dialing-in the drop before chopping the steerer.

Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 11-10-19, 01:05 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
((Sigh))...resisting the urge to trade up. Very cool Domane!
Old 11-10-19, 01:30 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Sick! Congrats.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 11-12-19, 10:25 AM
keno999

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane SL5 / Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, really nice!
Old 11-12-19, 10:32 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
That paint scheme is the definition of a "conversation starter". Be prepared to be asked about it on a regular basis (which, let's be honest, is part of the joy of buying something that attractive).

Congratulations!
Old 11-12-19, 11:14 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Damn, both of the Domanes in this thread are dream bike material, kudos!

Sometimes I wonder if my affinity for Trek is tied to my original interest in the sport thanks to Lance ~20 years ago, but the counterpoint is that their bikes really are excellent mechanical devices and look fantastic IMO.
Old 11-12-19, 11:21 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

The top tube angle for those two bikes seem to be significantly different (I'm assuming they're both 2020 Domanes) unless it's just a trick of the photo angle. Am I to understand that you can choose various angles at the point of purchase based on the fit?
Old 11-12-19, 11:45 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
not feeling the seat-tube top-tube junction, looks too feminine, the last gen Domane SLR looks way better
Old 11-12-19, 11:49 AM
CarloM

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
not feeling the seat-tube top-tube junction, looks too feminine, the last gen Domane SLR looks way better
Might that have been necessitated by the move to the fully adjustable IsoSpeed now being located in the top tube (2020) vs. the seat tube (2019)?
Old 11-12-19, 12:09 PM
wutareyoudoin

Bikes: BMC RoadMachine 02Two, CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty hard to argue with. The new Domane is a fantastic all-rounder.

Originally Posted by smashndash

that threaded BB
that storage
that di2
that paint
those wheels
that power meter

Old 11-12-19, 12:30 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
A slightly different silhouette as you can see with the H1.5 fit. Still dialing-in the drop before chopping the steerer.

HOTDAMMMMMMM!

H1.5 fit is I think it's one of the best looking bikes out there (certainly better than Pina F12, Venge, and Madone...) Very elegant. Congrats to you guys both!
Likes For rower2cyclist:
Old 11-12-19, 12:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
Not my style, but if you like it....
Old 11-12-19, 12:39 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Might that have been necessitated by the move to the fully adjustable IsoSpeed now being located in the top tube (2020) vs. the seat tube (2019)?
i think it has to do with how the seat stay starts way infront of the seat-tube. even the 2020 Domane SL looks decent

Old 11-12-19, 01:00 PM
CarloM

IIRC correctly I believe the top tube adjustable Isospeed is only on the SLR models so that would possibly explain the differences in the 2020 models.
Old 11-12-19, 01:11 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
The top tube angle for those two bikes seem to be significantly different (I'm assuming they're both 2020 Domanes) unless it's just a trick of the photo angle. Am I to understand that you can choose various angles at the point of purchase based on the fit?
You can go with slightly different geometry in the SLR, but I think that most of what you're seeing comes down to size. Like most semi/compact frames, the frame size will affect the aesthetics. Sizes around 56 tend to look the traditional, IMO, and less and less so as you get larger or smaller.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.