Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ironman Information Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ironman Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-18, 03:49 AM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Looks like 600

Originally Posted by jjames1452
I am going to need some help. I had a 56 cm Miami Vice Ironman that was a little small. I let it go to a fellow BF member. I am supposed to get a 60 cm red and white Ironman frame. Question, should this be built as a Suntour (Arx) or Shimano 600 build to get as close to original as possible. I will provide pics and the serial number when it arrives in a week or so .

Very Excited to get on an Ironman that fits!!!
Looks like 600 with Bio Pace is the original. I just happen to habmce that!!
Old 09-15-18, 04:05 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
If it's red&white 2tone, it would be an 86 with 600EX, or an 87 Expert with 105 (1050).

if it's red&white fade, it's an 88 Expert, would still be 105
.yer slippin' Tex)
Yikes! I stand corrected.
Ive been meaning to pm you and Canklecat but my taBlet is out and thos freAking phone is following in its footsteps...so frustrating...UGH.
Old 10-06-18, 08:22 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I have some more Ironman questions. I have been wanting another frame to put 10 speed components on and after a few adult beverages I bought one on E-bay last night. The add says its a 22" frame. The 89 I have measures 21 1/2. Did they offer them in one centimeter increments or are we measuring differently and they are the same size? It also has a Exage sport triple groupset. Were they available this way or has it been switched? It has everything but the wheels and I have two extra sets of ten speed wheels I can use. Does anyone know what BCD the crank should be. I would need the right chainrings if I used that crank with my wheels. I will get some 10 speed downtube shifters & chain and I have a triple 10 speed rear derailleur.
Old 10-06-18, 09:28 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by TXsailor
I have some more Ironman questions. I have been wanting another frame to put 10 speed components on and after a few adult beverages I bought one on E-bay last night. The add says its a 22" frame. The 89 I have measures 21 1/2. Did they offer them in one centimeter increments or are we measuring differently and they are the same size? It also has a Exage sport triple groupset. Were they available this way or has it been switched? It has everything but the wheels and I have two extra sets of ten speed wheels I can use. Does anyone know what BCD the crank should be. I would need the right chainrings if I used that crank with my wheels. I will get some 10 speed downtube shifters & chain and I have a triple 10 speed rear derailleur.
The Ironman was issued in even 2 centimeter increments, 46cm , 48cm, , etc. It was "basically" measured center of bottom bracket to top of top tube. The Ironman was Never issued with Exage components. Not sure of chainring compatibility.
Pics would be interesting.
Old 10-06-18, 12:10 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Intetestung

I am at The Hilly Hundred, ogling a 1976 Centurion Pro Tput on awesome condition, and will try to hit this thread tonight. There are a lot of steel bikes here.
Old 10-06-18, 01:12 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

I am guessing that its a 56 which should be fine for me. My 89 is 54 and sometimes feels like it could be a little bigger. I'll post some pictures when I get it. I may keep the triple but the rest of it will get a upgrade (or downgrade depending on how you look at it) I am thinking a sweet steel frame with modern drive train and maybe even carbon wheels would be about as good as it gets on a long ride.
Old 10-06-18, 02:19 PM
texaspandj

I am guessing that its a 56 which should be fine for me. My 89 is 54 and sometimes feels like it could be a little bigger. I'll post some pictures when I get it. I may keep the triple but the rest of it will get a upgrade (or downgrade depending on how you look at it) I am thinking a sweet steel frame with modern drive train and maybe even carbon wheels would be about as good as it gets on a long ride.
Agreed, go for it.
​​​​​​​A drive side pic could help us determine what size you have.
Old 10-06-18, 04:07 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Your 22 with Exage...

1-22" would be a 56 cm. Centurion measured from the center of
f the BB to the bottom of the scalloped side opening of the sets cluster, or pretty much c-top.

2-No way it came with Exage. Someone swapped it over, and there is a good chance that triple is a compact triple with 110 BCD.. The RSX triple (3x7 STI) is a compact 110 BCD and used a symmetrical bb, which is rsre. I think the Exage triple was also compact 110 BCD and may well use a symmetrical BB aldo, so it has value.

If you vlimb, that is a great group. If not, you are better off with a double, keeping that bb.

The frame is worth whatever you hang on it.
Old 10-06-18, 05:14 PM
TXsailor

https://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderD...=1868334504001
Lets see if this works
Old 10-06-18, 05:20 PM
TXsailor

f the BB to the bottom of the scalloped side opening of the sets cluster, or pretty much c-top.

2-No way it came with Exage. Someone swapped it over, and there is a good chance that triple is a compact triple with 110 BCD.. The RSX triple (3x7 STI) is a compact 110 BCD and used a symmetrical bb, which is rsre. I think the Exage triple was also compact 110 BCD and may well use a symmetrical BB aldo, so it has value.

If you vlimb, that is a great group. If not, you are better off with a double, keeping that bb.

I like triples since I ride everything from pretty flat to lots of hills. We are wanting to do RAGBRI in 2019 and there is no telling what it will entail. My Origin8 has a triple with 53/39/30 and if I could duplicate that I would be a happy camper.
Old 10-06-18, 05:24 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts

Typed on a phone no doubt.

Old 10-06-18, 05:25 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Wants me to log in.

Old 10-06-18, 05:47 PM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Wants me to log in.
Not being a internet guru I am not sure how to get the pictures from E-bay to here. I tried to copy the address and tried to save the pictures to my computer and didn't get either to work. I'll post some when it gets here unless someone can enlighten me on how to get them off E-bay.
Old 10-06-18, 07:37 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
I'm not really a computer guy either , but here goes ... I think it's called a screen shot and some times I can't get it to work when I try it on google images .
mouse left click on image to enlarge it , mouse over image and right click now left click on copy and minimize that window go back to BF and and right click then left click on paste .

Old 10-07-18, 01:25 AM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by markwesti
I'm not really a computer guy either , but here goes ... I think it's called a screen shot and some times I can't get it to work when I try it on google images .
mouse left click on image to enlarge it , mouse over image and right click now left click on copy and minimize that window go back to BF and and right click then left click on paste .

Here it is. Not a very good picture but I got it to work from my phone

Last edited by TXsailor; 10-07-18 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Add text
Old 10-07-18, 12:15 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Typed on a phone no doubt.
tyEs
Old 10-11-18, 10:49 AM
TXsailor

Here is the 88 Master E-bay bike. Its 56cm. I took the wheels off my 89 for a test ride. It came complete less wheels. I think the only original part on it is the headset and maybe the seat post.
Old 10-11-18, 11:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
@TXsailor: How's the handling with that angled shorty stem? I'm considering a shorter stem while my injured shoulder heals. I already switched from the long original to a shorter stem earlier this year, but after the injury in May it's been difficult to do more than 20-30 miles on the Ironman.

Main difference I've noticed with the slightly shorter stem (80mm CTC vs 115 for the original) is handling and balance are just a bit twitchier when I'm standing to pedal. I don't notice the difference on the indoor trainer, but off the bike I notice when I don't ride the Ironman outside often enough. Overall handling is still fine, though, and generally more comfortable before the shoulder injury.

With the long original stem handling is very stable, including fast curves and downhills, but I'm too stretched out. Might be better with aero bars.

I'm also pondering something like the Nitto Noodle drop bars, something with shorter reach across the bar top to the hoods, less drop, and a little less reach on the drops. But that's a more expensive solution.

Last edited by canklecat; 10-11-18 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 05:56 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

c-cat,... Interesting topic.

On my 56cm frames, I run either a 70mm Cinelli or an 80mm modern stem, including a 56cm Ironman.
On my 54cm frames, I run a 90mm stem, including a 54cm Ironman.

To me, the 56cm bikes are more stable, even descending twisties.

Last weekend, on many curving descents, I had to focus harder to stay smooth and graceful on the 54cm Raleigh with a 90mm stem. One of my recurring thoughts was "I'd be carving this up on my Ironman." At the beginning of some descents, I felt like I was too far forward.

(On my 53cm Serotta, I run a 95mm stem, and it's still too short for my liking.)

I find it interesting. I'm not sure what seems to overrule what, as far as size vs. geometry vs. stem length. My 56cm Super Corsa, with a 90mm stem, was too twitchy to ride. The geometry had me "up on it" way more than I preferred.
Old 10-12-18, 08:09 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Robbie and I are about the same size with the same body dimensions. I am heavier, though. He has the talent and the good looks, and I have the charming personality. I also run 80ish stems on the 56s and 90ish stems on the 54s. The reason is that I want my weight between the axles. If that weight gets forward out over the front fork/wheel the handling really suffers. It feels like I have a flat on the front or the brake is dragging. My advice is to find the position you like the best on any of your bikes. After you find it take some measurements and write them down. Use those measurements to duplicate the position on all of the bikes you have. The 3 measurements I take are:

Middle of BB/crankbolt up the ST to the top of the saddle
Middle of BB/crankbolt in a straight line to the middle of the handlebars/stem
Front/nose of saddle to the middle of the handlebars/stem

After that you can fine tune it by moving the saddle back or forward if you need to. It works for me.
Old 10-12-18, 09:21 AM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by canklecat
@TXsailor: How's the handling with that angled shorty stem? I'm considering a shorter stem while my injured shoulder heals. I already switched from the long original to a shorter stem earlier this year, but after the injury in May it's been difficult to do more than 20-30 miles on the Ironman.

Main difference I've noticed with the slightly shorter stem (80mm CTC vs 115 for the original) is handling and balance are just a bit twitchier when I'm standing to pedal. I don't notice the difference on the indoor trainer, but off the bike I notice when I don't ride the Ironman outside often enough. Overall handling is still fine, though, and generally more comfortable before the shoulder injury.

With the long original stem handling is very stable, including fast curves and downhills, but I'm too stretched out. Might be better with aero bars.

I'm also pondering something like the Nitto Noodle drop bars, something with shorter reach across the bar top to the hoods, less drop, and a little less reach on the drops. But that's a more expensive solution.
I am planning on trying a flat stem but it will still need to be pretty short. I might be ok with 80mm. The 89 has a slight angle down and is 80mm. It feels pretty good but I might could handle a little longer. The purple 88 is a 56 vs 54 for the 89 so a 80mm would add about 2cm to my reach if my figuring is correct. I am going to disassemble the 89 for a little while and switch it over to 10 speed on the rear. Want to trade stems for a while and see how they work?

To answer your question It didn't feel much different than my 89 but it only has a 80 mm stem on it. They both feel twitchy the first mile or two if I have been riding my other bikes. Then something clicks in my feeble mind and wow they feel good. Kind of like the difference in my Corvette and my wife's Traverse. I only rode the 88 around town but corners on city streets felt good.

Last edited by TXsailor; 10-12-18 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Left out answer to question
Old 10-12-18, 10:04 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by seypat
My advice is to find the position you like the best on any of your bikes. After you find it take some measurements and write them down. Use those measurements to duplicate the position on all of the bikes you have. The 3 measurements I take are:

Middle of BB/crankbolt up the ST to the top of the saddle
Middle of BB/crankbolt in a straight line to the middle of the handlebars/stem
Front/nose of saddle to the middle of the handlebars/stem

After that you can fine tune it by moving the saddle back or forward if you need to. It works for me.
Seypat, I do something similar but, because my crankarms are different lengths I measure:

Center of pedal to top of saddle.
KOP fit.
Front tip of saddle to center of handlebars.
Using this method because one of mine is one size smaller I had to use a longer stem and max out post height.
Old 10-12-18, 06:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
c-cat,... Interesting topic.

On my 56cm frames, I run either a 70mm Cinelli or an 80mm modern stem, including a 56cm Ironman.
On my 54cm frames, I run a 90mm stem, including a 54cm Ironman.

To me, the 56cm bikes are more stable, even descending twisties.

Last weekend, on many curving descents, I had to focus harder to stay smooth and graceful on the 54cm Raleigh with a 90mm stem. One of my recurring thoughts was "I'd be carving this up on my Ironman." At the beginning of some descents, I felt like I was too far forward.

(On my 53cm Serotta, I run a 95mm stem, and it's still too short for my liking.)

I find it interesting. I'm not sure what seems to overrule what, as far as size vs. geometry vs. stem length. My 56cm Super Corsa, with a 90mm stem, was too twitchy to ride. The geometry had me "up on it" way more than I preferred.
The short stem I'm using on the Ironman now is the one you sent me earlier this year. Actually it's terrific, just right for my personal meatware-interface with the bike when I'm healthy.

I may be a bit hyper-sensitive to handling characteristics because I've spent so little *road* time on the Ironman since the May shoulder injury. The Ironman has mostly been on the Cycleops trainer. Sure, I do stand-to-pedal workouts, but no balance is involved. So when I do get on the road I need a little time to get reacquainted with the bike.

When I wrote the above I had only ridden the Ironman outdoors once since August -- Wednesday this week, a few hours before I posted that comment to TXsailor. So the handling felt a bit twitchy. But it also did with the longer original stem in June 2017 when I first got the Ironman. I hadn't ridden a drop bar bike at all in 30+ years, so I needed some time to get accustomed to it again.

But I took the Ironman for another ride last night -- same route, pretty much the same weather/wind conditions, so there were no other variables. The handling felt just fine again. So I just needed a couple of rides to get accustomed to the handling, especially standing to sprint up short, steep hills.

Most of my riding since mid-summer has been on my Univega hybrid, which now wears a Nitto albatross handlebar. That also required some gittin' acquainted time. The reach is much shorter, the grip is much farther back toward my thighs and hips, so the balance is very different from the flat and riser bars I'd been using. Standing to pedal puts my body bolt upright and vertical, which is efficient for power transfer to the pedals, but inefficient if there's any headwind. And I have to be careful to avoid leaning forward on the grips while standing to pedal, or risk a death wobble. But if I slide my hands forward into the curved part of the bar just ahead of the grips, it feels like riding the hoods while standing to pedal. Just some small adjustments.

But after several weeks of use I love this albatross bar. Can't see using anything else on that Univega now. Heck, I'm even thinking of snagging a lighter weight older road bike and converting it from drop to albatross bars, just to save a little weight. The Univega Via Carisma weighs about 30 lbs, more if I add the racks, fenders, etc. Ideally an older steelie road bike in the 23-25 lb range, converted to an albatross bar, bar end shifters and appropriate brake levers would make a nimble urban cruiser for days when my shoulder and neck don't like drop bars.
Old 10-14-18, 10:55 AM
TXsailor

Here's what my Master weighed

Everything removed but headset cup & cone. 56 CM

Last edited by TXsailor; 10-14-18 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Left out size
Old 10-14-18, 01:49 PM
TXsailor

No means no...

1988 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert. "Straight Fades"
1988 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Master. "Purple Haze" and "Straight Fade"
Frame: Tange 1
Fork: Tange unicrown
Wheelset: Shimano 1050 on the Expert, Araya CTL-370 rims
Wheelset: Shimano 6400 on the Master, Araya CTL-370 rims
BB: Tange ball bearing type.
Crankset: Shimano 1050 on the Expert, Shimano 6400-53/42 on the Master
Calipers: Shimano 1050 on the Expert, Shimano 6400 on the Master
Levers: Shimano 1050 aero on the Expert, Shimano 6400 aero on the Master
Bars: Nitto B115-390 (<=54cm) -420 (=>56cm)
Stem: Nitto
Headset: Tange Levin CD on the Expert, Shimano 6400 on the Master
Shifters: Shimano 1050 on the Expert, Shimano 6400 on the Master
FD: Shimano 1050 on the Expert, Shimano 6400 on the Master, both 28.6 clamp
RD: Shimano 1050 on the Expert, Shimano 6400 on the Master
Seatpost: Sugino 27.0 fluted on the Expert, smooth on the Master
Saddle: Vetta (Turbo copy) on the Expert, Selle Italia Turbo on the Master
Tires: Panaracer Technova II
Cassette: Shimano HG 2x7 cassette. 13-24.
Colors: Expert: Red/White, Marine Green/White "straight fades" (possibly a yellow/white)
Colors: Master "Smoked" purple fade, and see below, a Yellow/White "straight fade" Master. Only one I've ever seen.
Scheme: "Straight Fade" on the Experts. "Smoked Fade" and "Straight Fade" on the Master, see above.
Graphics: Squiggles and Geometric shapes in the DT decal and on headbadge.
DT Decal: Centurion in an even more graduated font, from very thin to bold thickness.
TT Decal: Ironman logo with Dave Scott signature, "Expert" or "Master" added over Ironman
Headbadge Decal: New heavy "C" without shading, geometric shapes in the logo
Seat stay decal: Graphics below the caps, but no text
Tange Decal: Clear decal on ST and fork
Seat Tube Decal(s): Clear/colored Tange at the top, Clear/colored Made in Japan/Designed in USA at base.
Fork Decals: dropped the Centurion from the crowns, Clear/colored Tange at the top of the legs
Touch-up paint: For the 88 purple haze I found that Pure Ice name brand nail polish 542cp "No Means No" is a perfect match for the dominant purple. The fading purple is either Sally Hansen brand hard as nails nail polish 370 "No Hard Feelings" . Or L.A. colors name brand color craze nail polish cnp507 "Wisteria".

(Add changes in PM's or this thread, and I'll try to get them into the post)

When I try to find Pure Ice 542CP No means no I am told it's no longer available. Anyone know another that will match?

Last edited by TXsailor; 10-14-18 at 01:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.