Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Should I buy the Wahoo Roam or the Garmin Edge 830?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Should I buy the Wahoo Roam or the Garmin Edge 830?

Old 07-20-20, 08:50 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03
speedlever- frustrating to have things go sideways like that on a ride, but maybe the jinx on the 305 will provide a chuckle in hindsight at some point down the road. When I switched from an Edge 500 to my current 820 I got the bundle figuring A) the HRM I got with the 500 would fail sooner than later (of course it still hasn't) and B) the accelerometer-based speed and cadence sensors are a much tidier install than the magnet-based predecessor, both sensors have been reliable to the point of being forgettable.

There definitely is a lot to figure out with computers, and Garmin making the 530 and 830 so similar just makes deciding more difficult IMO. Depends on how tied in to the Garmin ecosystem you are, but if navigation isn't one of your top "wants" it seems like a good opportunity to see if a Wahoo device is a good fit, worst case return/exchange it and go back to Garmin. I will say, in my experience with navigation on my 820, I've been plenty happy with the screen size and how it displays info (as you approach a turn, it'll switch away from whatever data screen you're on, show the map zoomed to fit the upcoming turn with the route highlighted, count the distance down as you approach, and then return to the data screen you were on).
Thanks for the perspective. If I didn't have the Vivoactuve HR watch, I might not be so tied into the Garmin ecosystem. Shucks, that Vivo HR is getting on in years too.. but still holds a good battery charge and comparing the HR data on it to the HR data from a chest strap, they seem very close generally speaking.

I assume the GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor I already have won't work with Wahoo? So I assume my startup costs will be greater with Wahoo than if I continue with the Garmin ecosystem I currently have.
Old 07-20-20, 09:23 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
Thanks for the perspective. If I didn't have the Vivoactuve HR watch, I might not be so tied into the Garmin ecosystem. Shucks, that Vivo HR is getting on in years too.. but still holds a good battery charge and comparing the HR data on it to the HR data from a chest strap, they seem very close generally speaking.

I assume the GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor I already have won't work with Wahoo? So I assume my startup costs will be greater with Wahoo than if I continue with the Garmin ecosystem I currently have.
GSC-10 will work fine with a Wahoo, I've been using one...there are some specific circumstances where the magnetless sensors don't work....for example I have a set of Onyx Racing hubs with a hub too large in diameter for the mount to encircle/secure.
Old 07-22-20, 11:32 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
GSC-10 will work fine with a Wahoo, I've been using one...there are some specific circumstances where the magnetless sensors don't work....for example I have a set of Onyx Racing hubs with a hub too large in diameter for the mount to encircle/secure.
Thanks. Seems the gear is cross platform compatible both ways.