Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

jetstream rebuild...

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

jetstream rebuild...

Old 05-04-21, 04:50 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
jetstream rebuild...

That's it, the inevitable has happened; it is time to rebuild my old jetstream; 2 years ago, I recommitionned it to start cycling with my daughter and her "tag-along" because I did not mind if it got damaged, it was my old commuting bike which had had a hard life eating salt, mud, curbs etc...
Nowadays, I need a "gravel bike" with aluminium frame that will accept a child seat (not putting that on my carbon frame bike).

while cleaning the frame, I realized that the BB and the rear hub were sized so I decided to keep the frame only... and rebuild using various spares scattered around the garage. I unfortunately needed to buy a few bits:
- rear wheel (I have a spare new front but no rear)
- a BB
- a rear derailleur (I have 2 long cage but not medium )
- rear shock A5 125

Before,

Stripped

Start to look like a bike

Almost finished ... have to wait for the derailleur and handlebar tape deliveries.

I would like to fit a small front luggage rack but it won't be easy; most rack I saw use a top mount usually located on the caliper/fenders mount or V brake mounts but the German A suspension fork is inverted - brake and fender mounts on the rider side rather than the front.

Any clever suggestion which does not cost a lot (surply and topeak look good but very expensive)?

Thanks
Old 05-04-21, 01:55 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I don't know of any solutions to your rack needs (that don't involve getting a different fork) but some of the regulars over at the Touring, Commuting and/or Utility forums might be able to help.

Last edited by Nyah; 05-04-21 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-04-21, 03:14 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
If you are handy, you could make one of these

Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 05-05-21, 12:15 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
Start to look like a bike

Thanks
I am confused.... should I be looking at the remarkably green-tired bike, frogeye sprite, no, green-tired bike, no...
Old 05-05-21, 01:35 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
There is little room on the frame but more importantly, I want the rack to be mounted below the suspension like a std rack or fender so that the added weight does not affect the suspension mechanism.
Old 05-06-21, 12:43 AM
Geepig

Originally Posted by Fentuz
There is little room on the frame but more importantly, I want the rack to be mounted below the suspension like a std rack or fender so that the added weight does not affect the suspension mechanism.
Whether the weight is on the frame or the wheel side of the suspension, the mechanism will be affected. The problem with wheel side is that every little imperfection on the road or steering input will involve shifting the luggage, while the benefit is being able to put the luggage very low to reduce a bikes tendency to topple sideways for example. If the luggage cannot be positioned any lower, and there are no folding issues, the frame bracket would make the better choice.
Old 05-07-21, 02:30 AM
Fentuz

The bike is almost finished so I gave a test ride. the new shock works well, the gears are nice...
With these bmx tyres, the bike is really easy to bunny hop, good fun.

I found that the dropbar on this bike have a reach 25mm too long so , I will sort this out next week
Old 05-07-21, 03:20 AM
Falconista

Bikes: 1986 Falcon Laser, 2004 Dahon, 2018 Moulton TSR

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta

That looks good. My old Dahon doesn't have the welded bracket either, and feels very back heavy when touring. Putting the weight on the frame rather than the steering works really well too.

Is it an aluminium plate? What are the curved pieces which hold the plate against the frame made of? I have a piece of marine ply that might do the job, especially if I paint it black after sealing.
Old 05-07-21, 07:02 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Falconista
Is it an aluminium plate? What are the curved pieces which hold the plate against the frame made of? I have a piece of marine ply that might do the job, especially if I paint it black after sealing.
It's 1/2" aluminum plate. I cut a square of it then drilled a 1 3/4" (44mm) hole in it and cut the remainder into the four pieces that you see. I tapped and screwed the plates together.
Old 05-08-21, 12:50 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Does that quick-release stem clamp have a tight enough hold, to keep it all from slipping when you have your weight on the bars (hoods and drops)? I overcame that by getting a handlepost with a two-bolt clamp instead of a QR clamp.

The green tires look nice. Looks similar in size to the 50mm Big Apples, which I like a lot.
Old 05-08-21, 03:50 PM
Fentuz

Well, the new handle bar did the trick. I had a good test ride. To make sure it is stable even when jumping the car, I added a bit of assembly paste (as i use on my carbon gravel

Likes For Fentuz:
Old 05-28-21, 02:07 AM
Fentuz

I have been using this bike to play around with the kids and tried to teach them how to move on the bike when off road on a mtb trail.
As the bike is fitted with bmx tyres and mini v brakes, of course i have to go down steps, jump it (not that high), bunny hop etc.
So because it is patch work of bmx, mtb, roady, folder parts, the chain kept jumping on rough terrain so I put a litepro 45T with guard (bmx style) and it improved thing a lot.
but, and the largest cog, due to chain bending, it still jump every so often.
I was going to spend £5 of a dahon chain guid but realized it wouldn t work with 45T and too low.
While tidying the bench, i saw the front derailleur mount I took off the bike.
test fit and decided to bodge something together:

yes I need to clean the bike...
Old 06-01-21, 03:23 AM
Geepig

Nice bit of reusing of old materials!

Do you have a block of nylon lying around too? I just worry that if something happens then the current block might spear the chain.
Old 06-02-21, 01:59 AM
Fentuz

Originally Posted by Geepig
Nice bit of reusing of old materials!
Do you have a block of nylon lying around too? I just worry that if something happens then the current block might spear the chain.
Funnily enough, yes, I have medical grade bars of Nylon 66 and Radel but, these aluminium parts are made of very soft aluminum; I doubt it is 6061 and definitely not 7075.
I went on a mountain bike trial yesterday with my daughter (6yrs old) and she stopped abruptly on a blue trail narrow mtb bridge... I hade nowhere to go, clipped in so I fall in the ditch 0.5m down and the litepro chainring got smashed on a rock. I managed to bent it back and carried on riding... On the red trail, it ground a little bit.
Back home, I inspected the damages, the gold bit, it marked but it will clean up ok however, the litepro chainring is dead... 20 teeth out of 45 are knacher, either bent, broken or mashed by the chain... the Shimano deore chain is fine,unmacked... hardened steel Vs soft aluminium...
So, I ordered another "cheap" litepro" chainring... If I get some more issues, I will fit 110BCD crank with my un-use SRAM 42T Narrow-Wide ring with long teeth (1mm longer and squarer)

Note that the big green tyres are fun as an urban, jumpy tyre but in light mud and dirt, they loose traction but as I said before, this was mostly built from stuff laying around...
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 06-16-21, 02:35 AM
Fentuz

I swapped the chainring and everything works again I looked into tyres and am thinking about fitting some blackjack tyres in 47-406

I did a gearing comparison between this build, the gravel bike and the helios.

As I said, not far from the gravel bike which is set more like a MTB mullet, this jetstream is set as a gravel bike making it easy to spin off-road or when loaded with kids.
Old 12-14-21, 12:06 AM
Fentuz

Due to the extra weight, i found that everything was sagging too much so I decided to transfer things to a mni velo frame -

https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...ild-twist.html