Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Another "Help me find a trike" thread....

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 04:47 PM
RamAlaRag 

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose - Di2 Alfine, 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 1984? Miyata TerraRunner, 1986? Miyata 1000, 1988? Fuji Opus III, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hi all,

After being off the bike for too long I have been getting back in the rhythm of it and putting down some miles... I've been doing a lot of gravel/trail/logging road riding on an upright with 32c tires. I have been getting more and more interested in trikes and quads, and have really been considering the idea recently. I don't expect to be doing any single track type stuff, but hard pack dirt, large gravel, small gravel, pavement and light touring would all be on the menu of riding. I'm space limited, so I have to keep the stable to two bikes, my plan is to sell my current bike, ride the trike/quad for most all of my riding, and fill in the gaps with something else (I expect an MTB or fat bike). During the winter I am in Idaho, with a couple months of possible snow.

I started doing some research and initially really liked the idea of a Hase Kett, but went down to a recumbent shop in Portland and the guy there steered me toward an ICE Adventure. I brought up my concern of less traction on the single rear drive wheel and he seemed to think it wasn't an issue at all. He seemed to think an Adventure with Big Apples and rear suspension would be the ticket.

I did some forum searching and found a few already posted threads, but the conclusion seemed to be muddy. I'd love to hear from anyone running trails on their trike/quad, or any folks with ideas or suggestions on trikes to test run or consider.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-19, 07:23 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't consider a trike for off-road/dirt/gravel. Well, maybe for crushed stone paths. Nuttin wrong with Ketts or ICEs. Half the fun of getting your first bent is the research. Also look at TerraTrikes and Catrike, the two domestic brands. Anything with 20" and/or 26" wheels should take fat enough tires to handle gravel.
Old 05-20-19, 10:36 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Hase makes a variant of the Kettwiesel called the Cross (Kross) that is designed for the kind of riding the o.p. is contemplating. I know both the recumbent shops in Portland. I can kind of guess the one the o.p. went to because I know the owners bias against Hase trikes. I wouldn't take that to the bank! Ironically I like that shop and prefer it to the other. Still, the Cross comes with a differential OEM so both rear wheels drive. I doubt there is much if any difference in price vs an ICE Adventure. Either one can get the job done. Buy the one that fits your aesthetics.
Old 06-24-19, 08:51 AM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

On tour in 2017
I've been riding tadpole trikes for 15 years, started out with a used trike, a Rotator Comfort 3. Not sure how old it was but it had 48gears and was a good entry level trike. After riding this for 3 years I bought a new Catrike Trail in 2009, there was an Expedition there that I really wanted but the Trail was more affordable. In 2013 when I retired I finally bought my Expedition (a retirement gift to me)....I ride daily and tour on the Expedition, I ride on trail and road, often I'll encounter single track that is just wide enough (34") for the front wheels to straddle the trail, I ride a lot of old logging roads and rail trails....if your looking for a trike to ride single track, downhill BMX style of riding, your going to be disappointed....if however your looking for an exciting seat of the pants, go-cart style riding then the Catrike with direct steer is a good choice
Old 06-25-19, 09:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Seen; LBS has had a fat tire tadpole trike , in the shop in Astoria it's not kept in stock all the time .

there is a fat tire, sit up higher, Delta , there, at the moment..

Old 06-29-19, 02:01 PM
roundrocktom

Bikes: Catrike Dumont

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RamAlaRag
Hi all,
After being off the bike for too long, I have been getting back in the rhythm of it and putting down some miles... I've been doing a lot of gravel/trail/logging road riding on an upright with 32c tires. I have been getting more and more interested in trikes and quads, and have been considering the idea recently. I don't expect to be doing any single track type stuff, but hard pack dirt, large gravel, small gravel, pavement and light touring would all be on the menu of riding. I'm space limited, so I have to keep the stable to two bikes, my plan is to sell my current bike, ride the trike/quad for most all of my riding, and fill in the gaps with something else (I expect an MTB or fat bike). During the winter I am in Idaho, with a couple months of possible snow.
Standard advice about RIDE EVERYTHING. Get a feel for the bike. Look at Craigslist to see if you find something "close to what you want, but the great price." Recumbents a few years often are bought for about 50% list price.

I initially fell in love with the ICE trike. Everything about it on paper looked great. Went for a test ride, and oh my it was twitchy. In a way, it was a Ferrari with lightning fast responses. I needed something a little more stable and tracked straight.

I ended up with Catrike Dumont. I don't care about folding it, as it is a pain to fold. It has a rear shock, and front wheels have rubber bumps. Our local roads are chip seal (tar put down, then gravel that embedded into the tar). Horrible surface, but that suspension helps soak up the bumps.

406mm front (20" BMX size) 559rear (26" tire) I feel are a tad small, but gives you options for gravel riding.
Light touring. I'm tempted to add the Bosch Generator hubs for lighting.
The Catrike Dumont weighs in at 45 pounds but has decent gearing for climbing.
Regardless of what you buy, get in a few test drives to make sure you like it and how in handles. I need both hands to hold a water bottle. Hence the Catrike is a bit more stable for my use model.
Old 07-02-19, 02:24 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
If you're in Olympia, there's also a good recumbent shop a bit south of Sea-Tac, Angle Lake Cycles. They are very knowledgable about trikes there, and usually have a good selection of trikes that you can try out.
Old 07-24-19, 01:58 PM
RamAlaRag 

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose - Di2 Alfine, 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 1984? Miyata TerraRunner, 1986? Miyata 1000, 1988? Fuji Opus III, Nishiki International

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hey everyone.

I usually lurk on this forum and don't login, but I wanted to thank you for your tips and responses. I have been keeping my eyes open for a used model, and unable to locate one yet. Looking forward to it!