Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Calling all Nitto Front Rack Experts - advice needed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 12:14 PM
Orrery

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1973 Mercian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a Nitto M18 mounted on my 83 Trek 600 to hold a small handlebar bag.

It is a small frame, 21'', and the rack without anything bent looks like this:

I just received a very nice small Swift Industries Ozette bag; when I try to mount the loop around the tombstone I can get it on but it is a bit awkward. Ideally the front rack would be a bit lower and more forward, but I am at the end of the forward adjustment on the tang that mounts to the brake bolt. I don't really want to mess with the stem height as my position is comfortable now.

Any ideas? I'm also thinking of what decaleur would work best, as the VO one looks like it will be too low.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-13, 03:46 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Orrery
I have a Nitto M18 mounted on my 83 Trek 600 to hold a small handlebar bag.

It is a small frame, 21'', and the rack without anything bent looks like this:

I just received a very nice small Swift Industries Ozette bag; when I try to mount the loop around the tombstone I can get it on but it is a bit awkward. Ideally the front rack would be a bit lower and more forward, but I am at the end of the forward adjustment on the tang that mounts to the brake bolt. I don't really want to mess with the stem height as my position is comfortable now.

Any ideas? I'm also thinking of what decaleur would work best, as the VO one looks like it will be too low.

Thanks!
You can lengthen the mouting tang by adding on (bolting on) a piece of another one. Any bike shop should be able to give you one and maybe even cut it and grind the edges down. That should allow you to lower the whole rack, I think.
Old 10-09-13, 04:24 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Can you flip the mounting tang and run it under the brake?

Also, what front light do you have mounted there?
Old 10-09-13, 04:55 PM
Orrery

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
You can lengthen the mouting tang by adding on (bolting on) a piece of another one. Any bike shop should be able to give you one and maybe even cut it and grind the edges down. That should allow you to lower the whole rack, I think.
Thanks. That should work although depending how much I add I may need longer struts.

Originally Posted by Cynikal
Can you flip the mounting tang and run it under the brake?

Also, what front light do you have mounted there?
Interesting idea. I'd have to try but it may interfere with the fender.

The light is an iq cyo senso.

Thanks folks. And keep the ideas coming!
Old 10-09-13, 05:09 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
Yu can also tilt the front of the rack down by loosening the daruma bolts that clamp the struts and sliding the struts up a little. That will lower the rack and tilt the tombstone forward, perhaps just enough to make your bag fit easier.

REALLy nice Trek frame, it looks like original paint and decals?
Old 10-09-13, 08:20 PM
Orrery

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Yu can also tilt the front of the rack down by loosening the daruma bolts that clamp the struts and sliding the struts up a little. That will lower the rack and tilt the tombstone forward, perhaps just enough to make your bag fit easier.

REALLy nice Trek frame, it looks like original paint and decals?
Thanks, I did this and it works a bit better. It looks a smidge funny without the bag but the mounted bag is actually more level, so I suppose I'll keep it this way.

Of course, clumsy stupid me managed to bugger up the stupid $15 daruma eye bolt that my light was mounted to with the Boulder Bicycles' light mount and also sever the wire connection coming from the Cyo -- I managed to do some MacGyver splicing of the wires with electric tape but will have to look up the proper way.

The Trek is indeed original paint and decals -- it looked like it was hardly ridden when I scored it off of CL, and all the internal bits were well greased.
Old 10-10-13, 08:23 AM
Saguaro

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Have you considered using long stays connected to the eyelets at the fork end? That's how I mounted my Nitto Mark's Rack (similar to M18?) and it allowed me to get the rack perfectly level and in the right position. Of course, I have a bit more headtube height than yours so that make bag clearances a little easier. You need to use a stack of small lock washers at the lower connection so the stay clears the fork blades. It gets really interesting when you add fenders

I don't know much about the bag you're using. This set up works good with my Acorn Bag.

I'll echo that's a fine looking Trek. Cheers!

Old 10-10-13, 11:12 AM
Orrery

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^Thanks. Your Nishiki is gorgeous and one of the inspirations for my build. I will likely order some of the longer struts and give it a shot.