Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fat to fit w/my trike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fat to fit w/my trike

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 12:42 PM
marion06095

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fat to fit w/my trike

I have a Catrike recumbent guppy trike. After riding for a few years I have become quite fit (for an old lady). I would like to gift my trike to my sister so she can do the same. Unfortunately, her hips are quite wide. That makes steering difficult while riding and makes it nearly impossible for her to turn the trike completely around without needing to do a very wide radius circle. Does anybody know of a work-around short of a starvation diet? TIA
Old 02-29-20, 01:10 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Guppy? I think you mean a 'tadpole' trike? Tadpole configuration refers to 2 wheels in front. I can't offer a lot of help. Different trikes have different track widths, and front wheel size has an effect on how much the front wheels impinge into the cockpit when turning. I wouldn't recommend changing wheel sizes on an existing trike - doing so may affect the handling in a negative way. Which is all to say that your trike may not work for your sister, she may have to get one of her own - one that has a wider track.
Old 02-29-20, 02:23 PM
marion06095

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Guppy? I think you mean a 'tadpole' trike? Tadpole configuration refers to 2 wheels in front. I can't offer a lot of help. Different trikes have different track widths, and front wheel size has an effect on how much the front wheels impinge into the cockpit when turning. I wouldn't recommend changing wheel sizes on an existing trike - doing so may affect the handling in a negative way. Which is all to say that your trike may not work for your sister, she may have to get one of her own - one that has a wider track.
Oooops. Yes. Tadpole. I knew it was a small fish and somehow Goldfish just didn't seem right.
Old 02-29-20, 02:46 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Yeah, I was confused by the "guppy" trike too. Your trike doesn't happen to be a Catrike Pocket does it? The current version has "Pocket" on the on the frame visible from the front of the trike. That is the model made for smaller riders and has a "compact frame" according to the information on the Catrike website. If so, I doubt there is any way to modify the trike to make it usable to a much larger person. You could try to ask on the recumbent site Bentrideronline where a lot of trike riders hang out. ('BentRider Online). There is also a recumbent section on this site as well https://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent/.
Old 02-29-20, 03:04 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The steering handles on Catrike can be repositioned in and out by their connection on the head tube IIRC. I cannot recall when or if that will have the possibility of hand into tire tread as it's been a while. I recall that space being pretty close.
Old 03-01-20, 10:05 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
The limiting factor in positioning of the handlebars on a Catrike is the front wheels and whether or not you have front fenders. I looked at my own Catrike (without fenders) and see that there is no room to move the handlebars any further. I set them there to keep from having the handlebars contact me. I am not extra wide in the hips. There is only 1 cm between the handlebar and the tire sidewall with 406 X 1.4" tires.
Old 03-01-20, 10:41 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by marion06095
I have a Catrike recumbent guppy trike. After riding for a few years I have become quite fit (for an old lady). I would like to gift my trike to my sister so she can do the same. Unfortunately, her hips are quite wide. That makes steering difficult while riding and makes it nearly impossible for her to turn the trike completely around without needing to do a very wide radius circle. Does anybody know of a work-around short of a starvation diet? TIA
In her situation, I would start with the starvation diet or purchase a trike with a wider wheel to wheel distance. There are several companies that make trikes with a wide front wheel base; some expensive and some not so much so. Besides BentRiderOnline (linked in another post), you can try Recumbent Bicycle Source/Recumbent tricycles for a list of manufacturers and links to their websites.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 03-01-20 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-10-20, 02:47 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,232 Posts
Does your sister buy-in to your desires to have her ride?

I have 3 siblings - each is overweight and un-exercised, each requires several Rxs to 'maintain their health'. Cycling equipment would just clutter their houses.
Old 03-11-20, 01:59 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
It's crazy how different siblings can be. I'm in the gym 6 days a week. Sibling has eaten her way to a gastric bypass.
Old 04-04-20, 09:48 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
while the trike looks cool and fun do to the extra width is it unnerving to ride on roads.
must be a blast flying down trsils.