Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

e-Bike chain waxing?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

e-Bike chain waxing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-23, 11:15 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
e-Bike chain waxing?

Is there any reason not to wax an e-bike chain (mid-drive in our cases)?

I would assume the chain/lube is agnostic with respect to the power source(s), but perhaps someone has a different take on this...
Old 10-03-23, 12:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Should be fine!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-03-23, 01:33 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
I started waxing chains on all my bike’s including my Pivot E Vault. I can’t say unequivocally that it’s any smoother or faster but it’s certainly much cleaner. I’ve no reason to go back to oil based lubes.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 10-03-23, 03:00 PM
poiuyt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I started waxing chains on all my bike’s including my Pivot E Vault. I can’t say unequivocally that it’s any smoother or faster but it’s certainly much cleaner. I’ve no reason to go back to oil based lubes.
Same conclusion here, 3 bikes (including the two mid-drive e-bikes) out of 4 that are using waxed chains.
Old 10-03-23, 07:51 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Does this make sense?
It depends.
1.Given the higher torque possible, if you use all that added power - lube with what pro-cyclists use, they generate big watts for extended time.
or
2. If the cyclist uses less of the power, select what is best for your roads/conditions/weather based on your normal bicycle lube preference and usage.

Regardless of the lube, expect more driveline 'stress' from mid-drive systems as power is applied at the crank and thru the rings chain cassette. Conversely, on a rear hub motor system the additional power is applied thru the hub directly to the wheel; thereby, only putting torque to the driveline that is powered from the cyclist. (my direct experience with wear would be anecdotal, 1 mid, 1 hub for comparison).

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-03-23 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-04-23, 06:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Does this make sense?
It depends.
1.Given the higher torque possible, if you use all that added power - lube with what pro-cyclists use, they generate big watts for extended time.
Not fair as the Pros have bikes that are maintained daily or nearly daily or at least weekly and have plenty of spares and back ups. Plus many of them are running pre-worn chains that have coatings and special stuff on them. Using what they use is not always the best choice in these situations as their bikes are well taken care of where are bikes are generally not and you can may take good care of your bike it probably will never be to the level of a world tour bike.

However some of those lubes are great but I wouldn't change my lube routine of generally doing it monthly or weekly depending on my riding (some bikes it is just every night before I ride) and because of that I generally wouldn't change much on my lube because I would be doing it regularly though Finish Line does make a nice e-bike specific lube but in the end if I had the time and patience to wax it I would just do that and it would be fine.
Old 10-05-23, 09:19 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
As above, I think waxing is fine, but not necessary. For socal, water based lubricants work fine, that is, they keep the chain nicely lubricated (if flexibility, noise and life are parameters) and don't attract dust.
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-08-23, 04:43 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Is there any reason not to wax an e-bike chain (mid-drive in our cases)?

I would assume the chain/lube is agnostic with respect to the power source(s), but perhaps someone has a different take on this...
Probably more advantageous even for an e-bike due to the higher forces so a lubricant that was less slippery and held more dirt would do more damage to drivetrain over time.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 10-09-23, 07:38 AM
Jsosborn

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 SL; Specialized Creo SL EVO Carbon; Brompton M6L; Rad Runner 5, Cannondale Quick Neo, Giant beater

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I hot wax my e-bikes and then beat on them

I have a Specialized Vado 5.0 SL and Creo EVO and bike tour them 5-6 weeks a year plus hilly often wet trails and roads here in New England. I’m sold on hot paraffin waxing the chain every 800-1000 miles. Getting much longer life out of chains and cassettes and buttery shifting. I’m very sold on it. Cheap too- I paid $9 for a small crock pot, and keep using the same paraffin.
Likes For Jsosborn:
Old 10-09-23, 07:54 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Jsosborn
I have a Specialized Vado 5.0 SL and Creo EVO and bike tour them 5-6 weeks a year plus hilly often wet trails and roads here in New England. I’m sold on hot paraffin waxing the chain every 800-1000 miles. Getting much longer life out of chains and cassettes and buttery shifting. I’m very sold on it. Cheap too- I paid $9 for a small crock pot, and keep using the same paraffin.
FWIW, I keep maintenance records on my bikes. Using wet lubes and even some of the more high tech ones (Rock n Roll etc...), I would typically get around 1200-1500 miles out of a chain. When I went to the Silca Secret Sauce wax based lubes, I am getting in excess of 5000 miles. The benefit, as I said above, for an e-bike with it's higher torque and wear on the drivetrain, can only be a significant benefit.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 10-09-23, 07:13 PM
Wireman134

Bikes: 81' Schwinn Sports Tour, 95' Mongoose Threashold MTB, 23' Schwinn Taff Comp build

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Muc-Off is wax based. No need for anything else,
Old 10-10-23, 07:06 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Wireman134
Muc-Off is wax based. No need for anything else,
Which Muc-off lube is wax based? I didnt see any wax based lubes when I looked at their website. I used to use them a while ago and they weren’t.

They also don’t fare very well against all the other wax based lubes. For the last several years, Silca’s hot wax and their drip wax solutions are usually at the top. Friction Facts tests them all. Friction Facts testing is pretty thorough and you can see how the wax based lubes are at the top for wear performance.
Old 10-10-23, 07:27 PM
Wireman134

Bikes: 81' Schwinn Sports Tour, 95' Mongoose Threashold MTB, 23' Schwinn Taff Comp build

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wax based. It's there if you look,,,, us.muc-off.com/products/bio-dry-lube. Simply Mountain Biking a Youtuber tested chain lubes and Muc-Off was one of the best.
Old 10-10-23, 08:14 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I've been trying a wax based aerosol chain lube, Chain Saver, for about a year. I apply it with the tiny plastic straw, spraying the chain going over the front chain ring while I turn the crank. Yes I did clean the new chain first, and yes, the chain is much cleaner looking after a few rides than my SO's chain, which is lubed with Finish Line. She definitely accumulates grit on the sprocket teeth of her bike, while mine doesn't. I get a gray waxy film build up, but I wipe down and spray it every 120-150 miles, even though I could go longer. I do the same wipe and lube for her chain at about the same interval, and I don't see much difference in life of each chain. Mine is a trike; hers is a DF, and my chain is definitely cleaner than hers, which I consider more important than other factors.
Old 10-12-23, 07:03 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Wireman134
Wax based. It's there if you look,,,, us.muc-off.com/products/bio-dry-lube. Simply Mountain Biking a Youtuber tested chain lubes and Muc-Off was one of the best.
I see what you're talking about now. I actually used that for a year and the wear on my chain was the same as with pretty much all the others. When I switched to Silca Super Secret, I was able to get 3X the wear out of my chain.

Apparently there is an issue with testing between MO and Zero Friction in that, ZF has a number of different testing blocks they put lubes through but all contain both load and no-load conditions on the chain. MO, after discussions with ZFC, only tests under no-load conditions. There is an entire series of memos on their website about the testing differences. What ZFC says seems to bear out the results I've had with both of those lubes but it would be really nice if they could resolve their testing differences and come up with repeatable results. While it's true one can obsess about this stuff, the results I've gotten have impressed me.
Old 10-15-23, 12:01 PM
iFozz

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm gonna invest in a belt drive on my Ebike. Because a chain wears rather fast and to keep tightening it every other week is annoying.
Old 10-18-23, 09:06 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
You can wax the chain to prevent rust, but eBikes don't have permanently-lubricated O-ring chains like motorcycles do, so they do need the lubrication that oil provides for the pins.

When I was a motorcyclist, Chain Wax was very popular, as they needed lubrication more for rust prevention than lubrication.
Old 10-21-23, 11:12 AM
Dokiz

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I have been using Squirt wax for a few years, never went back, you have to was the chain a bit more often than an oil-based lubricant, but the advantages in term of cleanliness are not comparable. I tried a Decathlon wax-based lubricant and it was leaving small packets of wax on the chain.