Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

cyclebetting.com lifting C&V threads to generate site traffic?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 07:58 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I find it a bit distrubing.
I assume this is legal, but I don't know I don't like it.
Probably tons of sites doing it, I just noticed it because photobucket.com listed one of my pictures
being referenced from there.

Threads lifted directly from here:
https://www.cyclebetting.com/cycling/...picture-heavy/

https://www.cyclebetting.com/cycling/...e-photo-heavy/

https://www.cyclebetting.com/cycling/...chwinn-sprint/

Last edited by bikemore; 11-23-11 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Better URLS
Old 11-23-11, 08:05 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
I've seen the same thing; I received google alerts when the term 'centurion turbo' appeared on that site. Once it was a lift from a thread here that I started. I notified BF but don't know what action they took, if any.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 11-23-11, 08:10 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Aren't they in violation of the copyright laws by taking pictures from here? If the owners, IB, licensed them then I guess they can use them but I doubt that has happened. If it is your picture and they lifted it in a search for images I would say they are in the wrong. Sits bad with me regardless.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-23-11, 09:17 AM
SteveSGP

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Aren't they in violation of the copyright laws by taking pictures from here? If the owners, IB, licensed them then I guess they can use them but I doubt that has happened. If it is your picture and they lifted it in a search for images I would say they are in the wrong. Sits bad with me regardless.

Bill
Pretty sure that unless you're picutres are in fact copyrighted and or watermarked that they're fair game for anyone once you post them on the internet.

I've always gone by the assumption that any picture I share on line is public domain.

Here's the applicable section from the Photobucket policies page.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Content
You retain all your rights to any Content you submit, post or display on or while using Photobucket. This means that YOU own ALL the Content you post, but keep the following in mind:

If you don't want to share your Content with the world, you can mark it "private." If you do so, Photobucket removes the Content from search results on the Site and other Users (except those you invited) won't find it as a result of using the search feature of the Site. Also, we won't distribute it outside the Site.
Be aware, however, just because something is marked "private", we can't guarantee that only the people you invite will see it. Even if you mark something "private", users may be able to find the direct URL for an image through other search mechanisms, then share or link to it outside the Site.

Remember: if you share it from the Site, it's no longer private, even if you marked it "private."

If you remove your Content from the Site or mark as "private" something that previously had been public, Photobucket won't use it outside of the Site anymore and will hide it from search results on the Site, but we might still have it stored in backup files or on servers, and we are not responsible for sites on which it was shared before it was marked "private." Also, we will retain it if needed for any legal reason.

If you make your Content public, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to copy, distribute, publicly perform (e.g., stream it), publicly display (e.g., post it elsewhere), reproduce and create derivative works from it (meaning things based on it), anywhere, whether in print or any kind of electronic version that exists now or later developed, for any purpose, including a commercial purpose.

You are also giving other Users the right to copy, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and create derivative works from it via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, via services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content, and via social media websites).

So when you post it, you are telling us and all other Users that the Content really, truly is yours - no one else's - and that the posting and use of your Content does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, intellectual property rights, or human rights of somebody else. We're not responsible if it's not really yours or if you infringe on others' rights; you will be responsible if there are any costs for that.

Photobucket may manipulate your Content to offer the Photobucket Services (including transcoding and/or reformatting Content to allow its use throughout the Photobucket Services).
In an effort to keep the Site free, the Site is supported, at least in part, by advertising. Photobucket may place such advertising and promotions on or near your Content. The kind of advertisements we post and the way we display them are up to us.

We might keep an eye on Content you post, and if we do, we're not responsible for what's in the Content and we are under no obligation to modify or remove any inappropriate Content. We have provided some tools on the Site - like links to "report inappropriate content" - so you can let us know if you find Content offensive.

In order to do the things we do that make our Site and our community so great, we use some images, files, software and other things on the Site that we own or that have been licensed to us ("Photobucket Content"). Photobucket Content is ours and stays ours, but if you follow these Terms, you are entitled to use and display the Photobucket Content (excluding any software code) when you view the Site and use our services. Except in viewing the Site, you agree that you won't copy, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce or create derivative works from the Photobucket Content.

If you stop using the Photobucket Services your Content will remain on the Site, unless you actively remove your Content, and the rights you granted to us and other Users remain.

Last edited by SteveSGP; 11-23-11 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-23-11, 10:08 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I thought you were talking about just taking some pictures from the thread, but still linking back to the original. But just posting a whole thread on their website with no indication as to who wrote it or where it's from? It's not only weird, but mostly wrong, and if I were just browsing their site, confusing as hell. It's just kind of there with no real context.

Edit: and we're totally giving them traffic just to see that they're copying and pasting stuff. Maybe just throw up a screenshot of the "article" in question?
Old 11-23-11, 10:32 AM
SteveSGP

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I thought you were talking about just taking some pictures from the thread, but still linking back to the original. But just posting a whole thread on their website with no indication as to who wrote it or where it's from? It's not only weird, but mostly wrong, and if I were just browsing their site, confusing as hell. It's just kind of there with no real context.

Edit: and we're totally giving them traffic just to see that they're copying and pasting stuff. Maybe just throw up a screenshot of the "article" in question?
That really is pretty messed up, stealing threads to fill space on your own site.
Old 11-23-11, 10:33 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
There are a lot of sites out there that do this. Google your username and a bike term you might use a lot-- I tried "lostarchitect campagnolo", and boom: https://boardreader.com/thread/Campag...e_ubXgba8.html

I'm not sure what the point of sites like this is. The one you're posting seems to lift more directly though. Weird.
Old 11-23-11, 10:42 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
That is outrageous, I used to have my work on Photobucket marked as "shared". No longer.

"If you make your Content public, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to copy, distribute, publicly perform (e.g., stream it), publicly display (e.g., post it elsewhere), reproduce and create derivative works from it (meaning things based on it), anywhere, whether in print or any kind of electronic version that exists now or later developed, for any purpose, including a commercial purpose.

You are also giving other Users the right to copy, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and create derivative works from it via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, via services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content, and via social media websites). "

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-23-11, 10:45 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Old 11-23-11, 11:07 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottryder
That is outrageous, I used to have my work on Photobucket marked as "shared". No longer.

"If you make your Content public, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to copy, distribute, publicly perform (e.g., stream it), publicly display (e.g., post it elsewhere), reproduce and create derivative works from it (meaning things based on it), anywhere, whether in print or any kind of electronic version that exists now or later developed, for any purpose, including a commercial purpose.

You are also giving other Users the right to copy, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and create derivative works from it via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, via services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content, and via social media websites). "

Scott
Nothing's safe anymore. I'm going to make my photobucket pics private I guess. Except the ones I'm going to take showing an extreme close up of my anus.
Old 11-23-11, 11:09 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDSVTPARTS
Pretty sure that unless you're picutres are in fact copyrighted and or watermarked that they're fair game for anyone once you post them on the internet.

I've always gone by the assumption that any picture I share on line is public domain.
Copyright law gets fuzzy on the internet, and that's for certain. However, in the United States, copyright is established at the moment of creation, regardless of whether you register a creative property or not and regardless of whether you mark it as "copyrighted" or not. Registration and marking do, in fact, make it much easier for a copyright holder to pursue legal recourse in the case of flagrant violation. Even in that event, the copyright holder must demonstrate significant loss of income or devaluation of the original content in some manner... and, of course, that's an expensive path to pursue. Copyright must be sold, reassigned, or usage otherwise defined; although I haven't read the Photobucket terms of use, it sort of sounds like they are trading the space in exchange for your agreement to let 'em use your work any way they see fit. Not the same thing as "work for hire" practices that were abused by ad agencies in the 60's and 70's (and well into the 80's in some cases!) but the net result tends to be the same. Probably doesn't affect most of us on BF, but for those of us who make a living by selling and licensing creative images, words, and other creative properties it is a very real consideration. Also, there are members here who have put a great deal of patience and thought into the bicycle images they share; it seems sad and very, very wrong that scoundrels can so easily abscond with their words and images.
Old 11-23-11, 11:26 AM
blaise_f

Bikes: Surly Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AZORCH
Copyright law gets fuzzy on the internet, and that's for certain. However, in the United States, copyright is established at the moment of creation, regardless of whether you register a creative property or not and regardless of whether you mark it as "copyrighted" or not. Registration and marking do, in fact, make it much easier for a copyright holder to pursue legal recourse in the case of flagrant violation. Even in that event, the copyright holder must demonstrate significant loss of income or devaluation of the original content in some manner... and, of course, that's an expensive path to pursue. Copyright must be sold, reassigned, or usage otherwise defined; although I haven't read the Photobucket terms of use, it sort of sounds like they are trading the space in exchange for your agreement to let 'em use your work any way they see fit. Not the same thing as "work for hire" practices that were abused by ad agencies in the 60's and 70's (and well into the 80's in some cases!) but the net result tends to be the same. Probably doesn't affect most of us on BF, but for those of us who make a living by selling and licensing creative images, words, and other creative properties it is a very real consideration. Also, there are members here who have put a great deal of patience and thought into the bicycle images they share; it seems sad and very, very wrong that scoundrels can so easily abscond with their words and images.
This. The photographer is generally in the right.
Old 11-23-11, 11:30 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by AZORCH
.....although I haven't read the Photobucket terms of use, it sort of sounds like they are trading the space in exchange for your agreement to let 'em use your work any way they see fit.......
It works exactly the same way on Facebook. You post a photo, or anything else for that matter, and it's theirs do do with as they see fit. Privatize it or not, I believe FB can still distribute it.

Old 11-23-11, 11:49 AM
SteveSGP

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yup, Facebook basically has the right to do whatever they want with your pics.

I believe all photo hosting sites have the same disclaimers that Photobucket has.

Old 11-23-11, 11:59 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
One reason I closed my short-lived Facebook page. The other? Facebook is not real life.
Old 11-23-11, 11:59 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I host my own photos in the public folder of my dropbox. Dropbox does not claim any rights to your files, even if you share them publicly.
Old 11-23-11, 12:09 PM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing that is clear is the site I name in the original post isn't in the US. However I suspect there are dozens if not hundreds of sites that do a similar thing with bikeforums postings. I see it a great deal more on technical subjects. I just googled a phrase I am interested in and I got the same text (from a person posting a similar problem) on a bunch of sites. Really annoying actually in that
I was hoping I could find more then one discussion on the topic without having to leave the first page of google.
Old 11-23-11, 01:39 PM
FlatTop
holyrollin'

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I've noticed "archived" threads showing up on my Google searches, and way upstream of actual BF pages.
Old 11-23-11, 01:57 PM
753proguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I believe all photo hosting sites have the same disclaimers that Photobucket has.
Which is one reason why I don't Twit, or use the Facebooks that Al Gore invented..... :-)
Old 11-23-11, 02:00 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
just looked through the site in the OP... that site just seems to steal feed and claims to be about betting on bike races? Yeesh.
Old 11-23-11, 02:19 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Can anybody confirm this? I'd love to see their policies page .. if anybody can find it, can they post it?

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-23-11, 02:34 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Can anybody confirm this? I'd love to see their policies page .. if anybody can find it, can they post it?

Scott
Have you been under a rock the past couple years?
"Privacy

Your privacy is very important to us. We designed our Privacy Policy to make important disclosures about how you can use Facebook to share with others and how we collect and can use your content and information. We encourage you to read the Privacy Policy, and to use it to help make informed decisions.

Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:
For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others)."
Old 11-23-11, 04:38 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Thanks, they make that easy to find don't they?

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-23-11, 04:50 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Thanks, they make that easy to find don't they?

Scott
To be honest I counted on them not making it easy, so I did it from google and got to the correct failbook page in under 5 seconds.
Old 11-23-11, 05:22 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
One reason I closed my short-lived Facebook page. The other? Facebook is not real life.
+1000

Insofar as other sites absconding with C&V threads, I don't think they have any legal standing, unless Internet Brands allows it.

If they do allow it, I probably already agreed to it in the TOS - But what I really don't like is sites like that NOT CREDITING THE SOURCE to Bikeforums - in part because I have an aversion to gambling, and I don't want it to look like I am a participant there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.