Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's See Your Flam Colours

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 07:22 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

Pictures of the gorgeous flam red Paramount in Hudson608's thread slotted in nicely with my quite recent interest in this kind of finish.

There are 2 kinds of flamboyant colour, with the most common having silver as the base coat. Less common but with its staunch defenders as being superior to silver, gold is sometimes used as the base coat. It gives a far subtler and perhaps deeper glow.

See below for my flam frames - it'd be great to see some others.

My first, a 1976 Mercian Super Light - just the blue is flam:
[IMG] Frame quarter view by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then came this Rotrax, repainted in the 70s, I think:
[IMG] 1949 Rotrax Vel d'Hiv by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then another Rotrax - I'm finding it hard to find a photo that shows the flam:

CLB A.L.P. calipers and levers fitted and wired up by Dawes-man, on Flickr

And last, the H.R. Morris that I've just had painted by Argos in the UK but I'll leave that to a later post...
Old 09-23-13, 09:38 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Nice colors on those! These colors are called "candies" in the custom automotive world. True candy paint consists of a transparent color coat over a metallic base coat... usually silver, gold or copper. Chrome under the transparent color gives an effect that's even more iridescent. Remember the "Spectraflame" paint on the original Hot Wheels? That was created with transparent colors sprayed over a polished die-cast shell. A deep, durable candy can also be created by applying transparent powdercoat over a chrome frame. One of the nicest candy colors I've shot is a tranparent grape over copper, which gives a deep maroon "candy brandywine". I'd also love to see any candies that you guys have created!
Old 09-23-13, 09:47 AM
RubberLegs

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I believe this paint fits that description, appears to be a transparent brown/burgundy over the chrome of this old 77 AD, it changes colors depending on light.
Old 09-23-13, 10:17 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Originally Posted by RubberLegs
I believe this paint fits that description, appears to be a transparent brown/burgundy over the chrome of this old 77 AD, it changes colors depending on light.
The chips in the paint should give some clues. If you can see a layer of chrome or metallic paint under the color, it would be a type of candy. From the picture it looks like a color coat with a pearl coat over the top, which would give the "chameleon" color-shifting effect you're talking about. I've had two framesets done this way, with a solid color powdercoat under a color-shifting pearl powdercoat. The effect is pretty dramatic in bright sunlight!
Old 09-23-13, 10:23 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by Hudson308
Nice colors on those! These colors are called "candies" in the custom automotive world. True candy paint consists of a transparent color coat over a metallic base coat... usually silver, gold or copper. Chrome under the transparent color gives an effect that's even more iridescent. Remember the "Spectraflame" paint on the original Hot Wheels? That was created with transparent colors sprayed over a polished die-cast shell. A deep, durable candy can also be created by applying transparent powdercoat over a chrome frame. One of the nicest candy colors I've shot is a tranparent grape over copper, which gives a deep maroon "candy brandywine". I'd also love to see any candies that you guys have created!
This might be a regional difference but in the UK they are called flamboyant colours or 'flam' for short. I've only heard the term candy used here in Japan when they mean the clear colour paint applied to chrome, which gives what they call cromovelato in Italy, or simply velato. Like this:

[IMG] IMG_2345 by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-23-13, 10:25 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by RubberLegs
I think that's a cromovelato.
Old 09-23-13, 10:32 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

The chips in the paint should give some clues. If you can see a layer of chrome or metallic paint under the color, it would be a type of candy. From the picture it looks like a color coat with a pearl coat over the top, which would give the "chameleon" color-shifting effect you're talking about. I've had two framesets done this way, with a solid color powdercoat under a color-shifting pearl powdercoat. The effect is pretty dramatic in bright sunlight!
Okay, from that I take it that what you call candy is what they call cromovelato in Italy - clear coloured paint over chrome.

The changing colour that RubberLegs describes is just how my cromovelato Chesini behaves in different lights - mostly green but blue or even grey in bright sunshine. The colour changing you describe depends, I think, on your changing angle of view - is that right? I've seen a BMW motorcycle like that and a car. A bit like a chambray fabric.

Last edited by Dawes-man; 09-23-13 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 10:37 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
1973 P13 Paramount Flambouyant Red.

Old 09-23-13, 10:44 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
1973 P13 Paramount Flambouyant Red.
Yeah! I see the flam shows most on the right side chain stay… it's hard to capture it in a photo.

Have you seen Hudson608's thread? The flam is nicely captured in several of the photos - they're what made me want to see more.
Old 09-23-13, 12:24 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Originally Posted by Dawes-man
Yeah! I see the flam shows most on the right side chain stay… it's hard to capture it in a photo.

Have you seen Hudson608's thread? The flam is nicely captured in several of the photos - they're what made me want to see more.
It was an over cast day. Sunny days makes the paint really shine.
Old 09-23-13, 12:42 PM
Orrery

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1973 Mercian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
These all look great. Would love more pics of the Mercian.
Old 09-23-13, 02:32 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Somec, paint over chrome:

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 09-23-13, 05:48 PM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Beautiful bikes all. That rootbeer is one of my favourites. I no longer have my Legnano, but their verde transparencia is a nice example. Here is my only flamboyant at the moment, my 1967 Zeus, although the paint is faded to the point that the term flamboyant seems excessive:

Old 09-23-13, 07:38 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
What's another Flamboyant Red Paramount?

'71 P-13

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-23-13, 07:46 PM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Question: Is there any point to laying down silver or gold before applying an ordinary enamel — say an opaque acrylic. Actually, I am proposing to use an automotive acrylic lacquer that is mixed and packed into a spray bottle. From Yellow Hat — Dawes-man will know. (This coating has proved durable on a car panel I repaired).

I really am struck by these flam coatings, but I think its too much for my DIY attempt. Interesting thread.
Old 09-23-13, 09:11 PM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenton58
Question: Is there any point to laying down silver or gold before applying an ordinary enamel — say an opaque acrylic. Actually, I am proposing to use an automotive acrylic lacquer that is mixed and packed into a spray bottle. From Yellow Hat — Dawes-man will know. (This coating has proved durable on a car panel I repaired).

I really am struck by these flam coatings, but I think its too much for my DIY attempt. Interesting thread.
an ordinary opaque enamel "sprayed" over another metal-color sprayed surface would not yield such an effect nicely,
unless it's 'mixed' on the surface due to over-spray melting the bottom coat—rather quite messy than beautiful.

if you are thinking automotive paint, there are 'metalic' colors. e.g) some Ford Fusion body colors.
'how much metalic' really varies by range. some with heavy hint of shiny flavors within the paint, while some with just like 'pearl' effect.
any advanced automotive body supply store should have good specimen/swatchbook of all the metalic colors.
in my experience—not on a bike frame tho—good choice of bright colored metalic autopaint + high-end clearcoat could be close to cromovelato/candy coat.
Old 09-23-13, 11:23 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
It was an over cast day. Sunny days makes the paint really shine.
No criticism was implied, nor perhaps perceived. I was just pointing out how hard it is to capture the flam effect with a camera. In your photo I thought it was most visible on the chain stay. And yes, it does really stand out in bright light.
Old 09-24-13, 04:50 AM
Michael Angelo 

Originally Posted by Lenton58

The way I painted the My Paramount was,
Epoxy primer sealer
Primer base coat
2 coats of silver paint
Flamboyant red paint , 2 coats
3 coats of clear

The red red being almost translucent. So, one has to keep in mind the number of coats applied.
Old 09-24-13, 05:26 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Originally Posted by Dawes-man
[IMG] IMG_2345 by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]
Yowza that's a beautiful color! I'd call it a candy Aqua, although everyone seems to prefer "Teal" since the 80's. Whatever you call it, I call it gorgeous!
Old 09-24-13, 05:31 AM
Michael Angelo 

Yowza that's a beautiful color! I'd call it a candy Aqua, although everyone seems to prefer "Teal" since the 80's. Whatever you call it, I call it gorgeous!

That's "Cromovelato" finish, Paint over chrome. Different from a Flamboyant type paint job. Very beautiful.
Old 09-24-13, 05:39 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Old 09-24-13, 07:05 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
orangeology, Michael Angelo: Thanx. I think I'll stick to bread and butter solid colour and just enjoy this thread for the exotica. I'd like a pro finish on two frames of mine, but the chickens aren't laying, and the cow has run dry.

I'd like to see a sticky or something to enshrine this sort of craft.

Last edited by Lenton58; 09-24-13 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-24-13, 07:11 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Here's a question for you Flamboyantistas... it's apparent that the paint used for use over chrome needs to be transparent. Or semi-transparent at least. Is there a special type of paint needed for these finishes? Seem like a lot of paints, more opaque, just wouldn't do.
Old 09-24-13, 07:16 AM
Alex Moll

Bikes: 54 R.O. Harrison, 56 W. F. Holdsworth, 59 Sauvage-Lejuene campeur,63 Jack Taylor Tourist,74 & 78 Davidson, 80 Colnago Super, 82 Merckx Professional, 92 Rain City Steelhead, 08 Rivendell AHH, 2011 Rivendell Custom, 2014 Woodrup/Sayles custom 650b

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
How about an original Flam Green '63 Jack Taylor. The original clear coat failed on this one (a yellow opaque mess.) So, it took a lot of elbow grease, various compounds (Scratch X, etc) and careful use of my fingernails to bring this one back to life.

Old 09-24-13, 07:48 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by Orrery
These all look great. Would love more pics of the Mercian.
If you click on the photo, it'll take you to the photo in the album, then you can select the right or left arrows to see the others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.