Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you pay for Strava?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Strava and your $$$
I pay for Strava
30.73%
I use Strava for free
58.26%
I don't use Strava
11.01%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Do you pay for Strava?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19, 11:01 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Do you pay for Strava?

There's no shame in appreciating the value of a dollar and taking advantage of a service that's offered for free, that's not what this thread is about. I read the scathing DCRainman post about Strava's sensor decision, and he mentions that Strava is keeping their subscriber numbers close to their chest. Cycling is far and away the #1 activity (by count) on Strava, so I thought a poll in here would be 100% accurate interesting to see.
Old 10-29-19, 11:13 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
This is me:
Now, if you record your sensor data (like heart rate or cadence) on a Garmin or Wahoo or some other device – this won’t actually impact you. You’ll still be able to display all your data in all the same ways as before. So for example, if you have a Garmin Edge 500 paired to a Wahoo TICKR strap – that’ll still show up on Strava just fine.
I don't use my phone as a bike computer. I've had a Garmin longer than I've had a smart phone, so I have no need for the Strava phone app to pair up with anything. And I don't use Strava for analysis. For data analysis I use Training Peaks and Golden Cheetah So I just use the free version as social media. More to see where my friends are riding.
Old 10-29-19, 11:17 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I have decided to go with RidewithGPS instead.
Old 10-29-19, 11:26 AM
jkonst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I pay for Strava. I don't directly hook up sensors to the app, so this doesn't affect me as of today (though it limits future flexibility) - but the rationale for this change, and especially the messaging around it, are pretty baffling to me.

Saying "this feature isn't heavily utilized and we're removing it" seems like a much more palatable explanation than "our app is buggy and we don't want to/can't figure out how to fix it." I also feel like if they couldn't get all sensors to work, they should have focused on heart rate monitors, given how popular those are (and how much more likely they are to be paired directly with Strava compared to a power meter, I'd think).
Likes For jkonst:
Old 10-29-19, 11:28 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I have decided to go with RidewithGPS instead.
May I ask why? I use Strava on the free tier, and have just started looking at local official event rides, and noted that most of them provide a RideWithGPS map, and accompanying cue sheet, but not Strava. So this got me thinking of switching over.

I don't mind paying for a service, but I want to make sure I decide on the most robust service before moving to the paid tier.
Old 10-29-19, 12:01 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Free Strava plus TrainingPeaks free edition is simply amazing for what they are.

When I care to, I track my TrainingPeaks "metrics" they make you pay for in an Excel sheet. You can find the formulas online.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-29-19, 12:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Everyone knows I am thrifty a cheap bastid.

Strava free version does what I want it to.
Old 10-29-19, 12:17 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I used to pay for Strava--support what you use and all.

Over the years, Strava has become Facebook/Instagram for bikes....and less and less of a training tool. Quit my subscription as soon as the whole "Premium" thing became "Elevate" or whatever the heck it is. I've off and on looked for something like Strava+Stravistix online, haven't delved too deep looking.
Old 10-29-19, 12:19 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Free Strava, for social and ego reasons. If I travel to a new place, the Segment Explorer will usually point out where the good roads are. I paid for Strava for a year and only used it for a few Live Segments, which felt like cheating (it works).

If I need to really dig into my power data, Garmin Connect tells me everything I want to know...plus some.
Likes For Cypress:
Old 10-29-19, 12:47 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I don't use Strava much, just to keep in touch with some people around the world. I'd never pay for it. I don't use its segments, they're too short to be of interest. I do use RWGPS, but only for tracking progress, such as comparing power output during a climb compared to the same a few weeks prior. I already know all the areas I ride around the SF Bay Area, having ridden here for some 25 years. So I have little to no need for route planning software, and even if I'm exploring some maintenance dirt road (or unusually well maintained trail) it will either dead end or spit me out somewhere familiar. RWGPS has as far as I can tell vastly better analytics (or maybe that's a for-pay or very well hidden feature in Strava). It also has segments that are more meaningful, around 30-60min that you can do every few weeks or once a month to see how things are going. It doesn't have nearly as many riders, so the segments are more for personal use than some sort of online competition. As you can see I'm still a slowpoke on the climbs, but it's steadily improving. It might be my engineering mind, but I really like being able to see progress even if it sometimes doesn't feel like I'm going anywhere.

Old 10-29-19, 01:47 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i use the free strava they used to give me free months here and there but I don't use it enough to find it of any value. I think i could find myself paying for Ride with GPS more. i use it for route finding and sending maps to my Garmin. I don't really care about the social media side of the strava app.
Old 10-29-19, 01:55 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I pay for Summit, and yeah it could be better, and yes wish they would listen to user feedback, but to be fair I use many of it's features, and if you take into account $20/off coupon from CC every 12 months you can use toward consumables its really not that expensive.

Recently started playing around with other free options like Garmin Connect and TrainingPeaks to see what they offer in terms of training metrics. So far Training Peaks seems waaayyy more complex for my needs/modest abilities and $10/mo before you can unlock many features. Garmin Connect though, is not terrible, lacking a couple metrics, FTP eg, because of barebones features on my Edge 130.

...and yes, I've used Golden Cheetah for the occasional device power comparison tests, but again way more robust and DIY workflow for convenient day-day usage.
Old 10-29-19, 02:45 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
May I ask why? I use Strava on the free tier, and have just started looking at local official event rides, and noted that most of them provide a RideWithGPS map, and accompanying cue sheet, but not Strava. So this got me thinking of switching over.

I don't mind paying for a service, but I want to make sure I decide on the most robust service before moving to the paid tier.
I prefer RWGPS for route planning, turn-by-turn navigation, and pretty accurate, at least around here, elevation data--which is very important because my town has a bunch of little volcanoes in it and the surrounding outskirts has large ones. Other people can view routes, cue sheets, and elevation information without having to create an account. I also personally prefer the user interface on RWGPS, It is simple and intuitive. Strava does seem to have the far superior social networking functionality, or at least it is more popular. I do not care about any of this. When I had an issue with incorrect data, I had a response to my email within 10 hours. The nice gentleman had already gone into the ride in question and fixed the problem, which I, myself, had caused due to my cluelessness. I emailed them at roughly 10 pm Pacific Time and when I woke up and checked my email at 730 am the next day, it was done and there was a nice email waiting for me. Service. Free version.. I had accidentally activated the 'record my ride' functionality two days before I took off on the ride. Nice job, bpcyclist.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-29-19, 02:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm still waiting to see whether this whole Strava thing catches on before I pay for it.

I get enough from the freebie version that it does what I need. I've almost always used other apps to record rides, later uploading to Strava: Cyclemeter with my iPhone for awhile; now Wahoo Fitness with both the iPhone and Android phone. I might try subscribing to Cyclemeter again, for the customizable features, especially the voice prompts.

And it plays nicely with the Elevate browser extension for additional data. The fitness trend graph is useful. Reminds me that I'm making steady progress, even on days when it feels like I'm going backward.

I mostly use Strava for the social networking aspect. Helps me keep track of real life friends without the baggage of hot button issues that have made Facebook a cesspool. It's gotten bad enough on other social media that I've been tempted to unfriend some folks I enjoy riding bikes with, simply because of their boneheaded FB posts. But then I remind myself that their views on hot button issues never come up during bike rides. They just have an addiction to daily doses of micro outrage and a need to play the troll online. In real life and on bike rides they're okay folks. And it's easy to shut people up on bike rides if they do spout off -- just increase the tempo. Either they'll be dropped or too breathless to yap about crap.
Old 10-29-19, 02:55 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Quit my subscription as soon as the whole "Premium" thing became "Elevate" or whatever the heck it is. I've off and on looked for something like Strava+Stravistix online, haven't delved too deep looking.

You're a bit confused on terminology. "Premium" became "Summit" "Elevate" is the new name for the free add-on that used to be Stravastix. AFAIK, it's only available for Chrome, though that may have changed.

Anyway, I use free Strava and "Elevate". I can't see what "Summit" would get me that I would really need.
Old 10-29-19, 03:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
This is me:

I don't use my phone as a bike computer. I've had a Garmin longer than I've had a smart phone, so I have no need for the Strava phone app to pair up with anything. And I don't use Strava for analysis. For data analysis I use Training Peaks and Golden Cheetah So I just use the free version as social media. More to see where my friends are riding.
This is me. I use a watch now because I can use the same hardware for hiking, and for cross country skiing. It's really not practical to take my phone out while I'm moving on skis to check some metric, or to end a lap. It's a Garmin watch, talks to my power meter, syncs over the air. Connect gives me my power curve now, and that's really the most important thing on the bike, at least for how I use it. Golden Cheetah gets my attention sometimes, too, but it's too cumbersome for me to keep up to date with all my ride data.

I use the global heat map on Strava because the roads in Seattle became "old hat" a long time ago, and we have a lot of great scenery not too far from town. I send the rides I travel for to Strava to update the map, so other people can benefit too. But most of their functionality doesn't interest me and I don't send them 99% of my data because there's just no reason (for me). I voted "I don't use Strava." That's not the exact truth but for the purposes of this poll, and since the last time I was on their site was July, it makes the most sense.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-29-19, 03:32 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I need live segments in my life...
Likes For firebird854:
Old 10-29-19, 04:05 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Free for me because that's all I need. I'm not hardcore like other here.
Old 10-29-19, 04:09 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
I paid for almost a year, before the different pay options.

The only pay feature I cared about much was the personal heat map, not worth $7 a month, or however much it was.
Old 10-29-19, 04:13 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
I need live segments in my life...
It's great for segments that have a consistent grade. It bases your pace against the average of the current KOM holder (or your own PR) and not the pace at that specific point in the segment. The problem with that, is if the segment is, let's say, a climb with a downhill on the other side, your pace will be WAY slow on the climb then you'll claw your way back on the descent. You won't know if you've beaten it until you finish.
Old 10-29-19, 04:18 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I payed for 5 years then decided to go free. It's cool and I appreciated the new thing at the time. But a payed membership is rather expensive and doesn't have many benefits at all considering I just use as a logging tool. No HR monitors, no power meters like the real cyclists.
Old 10-29-19, 08:01 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I too paid for three years in part to help them get going, then decided that was enough for a while. I don't miss much of what I got in the paid version.
Old 10-29-19, 08:12 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
I don't pay for it...because I use Garmin Fenix and 530 to track all my activities. That said, I do link my Garmin Connect to Strava, and I do use Strava for segments (because I'm a loser) and for friendly competitive stuff (see: segments). I also like to run from time to time, and my friends and I encourage each other to do the 5k challenges and things like that in Strava. All of that is free though, so nope, don't see a time when I would pay for Strava.
Old 10-29-19, 08:27 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Previously I did not consider a subscription -- I figured to make the most out of a subscription I should get a power meter first.

Last month I got a power meter, and was considering a subscription, even though Garmin Connect gives me more data than I'd ever need (all the power phases and left/right stuff).

After that, they made that earlier announcement to drop sensor support and I decided continue not subscribing. As discussed in the comments section of the article linked by the OP, it's more of a goodwill thing for me -- or rather loss of goodwill.
Old 10-29-19, 08:31 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
I like Live Segments. My wife likes Beacon better than the other trackers I’ve tried for some reason. I also like the analysis tools. So I don’t mind paying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.