Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Real differences between racing and endurance bikes if geometry is similar

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Real differences between racing and endurance bikes if geometry is similar

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-19, 04:55 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankTuna2
Cannondale Synapse (first) vs Supersix (second) for a 61/62cm frame...

Reach: 40.2/40.6
Top tube: 60.4/61.1
Stack: 64.0/63.4
Wheelbase (both): 102.8
Head tube angle (both): 73°
Stand over: 86.8/87.0
Trail (both): 5.8
Fork rake (both): 4.5
Chain stay: 41/40.8
Small differences make a big difference.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-27-19, 11:19 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
i think a cheaper option is to sell the alloy topstone then get the carbon topstone and another wheelset. If you enjoy your current groupset you can just sell the frameset and move everything over. My Niner is my everything in one bike.
This. No reason a Topstone shouldn’t be more than enough bike for centuries and 20mph group rides. A pair of good road wheels will make a bigger difference than a Supersix frame. Most of the geometry difference between the 2 can probably be made up by saddle adjustments and stem sizing/stacking.
Old 10-28-19, 08:22 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankTuna

What would make the Supersix faster? More aero tube shapes and less weight? How much faster would this be vs an endurance bike at the same weight like a Synapse? It seems to me based on the measurements that you could get a similar fit on either, or am I missing something?
You could cut the decision matrix down to just what each and every TdF team uses as their road bike for racing. That way you really don't have to ask the question about endurance versus road geometry.
Old 10-28-19, 08:28 AM
FrankTuna

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
If you haven't already...what's keeping you from looking at the new Trek Domane? Comes with 32 by default, and can fit wider. Can also go down to a 25-28 if you're looking for something a little more race-like. While the bike is pretty heavy on the lower end, it dips down into the 17lbs range on the higher end bikes. Which isn't that bad for an endurance bike. Again, if we're talking about "marginal gains"...I could lose 20lbs of body weight before I start worrying about the fact that my bike is 2lbs heavier than my buddies. Not sure if that's true in your case or not, but it might be worth a look if you're thinking of doing a lot of centuries.
I don't think the Domane would work...it looks like a great bike but the geometry looks even more upright than my Topstone. Thanks for the input though!
Old 10-28-19, 08:29 AM
FrankTuna

Originally Posted by big john
I ride larger frames (62-64) and no bike I've owned in 35 years has had toe overlap. I also have big feet (49). If any of them did have it I didn't notice.

For recreational cyclists the speed differences between bikes isn't going to be much if the bikes are reasonably similar. The fit/comfort is important for century type rides.

I've always used 23 tires for everything but am thinking about trying something larger.

Why is there a FrankTuna2?
I definitely had a toe overlap issue on my first gravel bike...a 61cm Trek Checkpoint AL4. I wear a 49 shoe as well. That bike wasn't a good fit and I sold it for the Topstone.
Old 10-28-19, 08:35 AM
FrankTuna

Originally Posted by Leinster
This. No reason a Topstone shouldn’t be more than enough bike for centuries and 20mph group rides. A pair of good road wheels will make a bigger difference than a Supersix frame. Most of the geometry difference between the 2 can probably be made up by saddle adjustments and stem sizing/stacking.
I bet the Topstone could handle the rides once I drop some more weight and work on my fitness, but I like the idea of having 2 bikes set up for different purposes. I'd also have the option to leave the Topstone on the trainer and ride the road bike or vice versa depending on my riding plans.

I was just worried that if I do by a carbon road bike, I would be missing out on some speed if I went for an endurance vs a racing bike. I appreciate everyone's comments here!!! It seems like the consensus is that either type of bike can be plenty fast and I doubt I'll be leading the pack in the TdF any time soon haha. I think I'm leaning towards a geometry close to my Topstone with maybe just a bit more reach.
Old 10-28-19, 11:39 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I bet the Topstone could handle the rides once I drop some more weight and work on my fitness, but I like the idea of having 2 bikes set up for different purposes. I'd also have the option to leave the Topstone on the trainer and ride the road bike or vice versa depending on my riding plans.

I was just worried that if I do by a carbon road bike, I would be missing out on some speed if I went for an endurance vs a racing bike. I appreciate everyone's comments here!!! It seems like the consensus is that either type of bike can be plenty fast and I doubt I'll be leading the pack in the TdF any time soon haha. I think I'm leaning towards a geometry close to my Topstone with maybe just a bit more reach.
I totally get the having 2 setups, so that’s reasonable.

As has been said above, definitely test ride all your options and pick the one that’s most comfortable to you. I think the EF pro team ride mostly Supersix, but they make exceptions for riders who prefer rim brakes, and also they use Synapses for some races (cobble classics etc) so even at the elite level it’s a fine margin.

I ride a CAAD10 and love it; you should give the CAAD13 a whirl too, see if you notice a significant difference to the carbon bikes.
Old 10-28-19, 02:03 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
You need to figure out what bike fit you want (saddle setback, height, bar drop and reach), then look at frames that allow you to get that.
Don't get hung up on labels like "endurance" and "race".
For example I have longer legs than average and can easily get what would be called a "race fit" on an endurance bike.
Old 10-28-19, 02:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
As an interesting sidelight : https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...o-regrets.html

It all comes down to what you want, and how you like to ride. Some folks can ride in the full bent/flat back/ full reach long and low posture all day. Some cannot. Some don't want to.

Your best bet is to spend as long as possible traveling to bike shops all over to test whatever bikes you can find in your size, or near to it.
Old 10-28-19, 03:18 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I've been getting serious about riding this year, and plan to train over the winter with an indoor trainer and I'm working to drop some lbs. I can hang with 18mph group rides and have done 2 centuries this year, but want to join the fast 21-22 mph group rides and do at least 4 centuries next year.

I'm looking to buy a dedicated road bike, preferably carbon that can run true 32mm tires. I already have a Topstone that's great, but I'd like to keep that set up with big tires and a rear rack.

My head is spinning with all the choices out there and I'm 6'5" so no local shops have anything in my size in stock. My Topstone is an XL, with 40.2 cm reach, 120 mm stem, and 64 cm stack. The Supersix is supposed to be a fast, race type road bike and the 62 cm has a 40.6 reach and 63.4 cm stack. That seems pretty close to my Topstone which is supposed to be a more relaxed, endurance geometry.

What would make the Supersix faster? More aero tube shapes and less weight? How much faster would this be vs an endurance bike at the same weight like a Synapse? It seems to me based on the measurements that you could get a similar fit on either, or am I missing something?
FWIW - my Trek Checkpoint and Emonda are the same speed on the road. The Emonda has aero bars and 25c GP5Ks, while the Checkpoint has round bars and 30c tires. I've gotten PRs on both on the loops I ride 3x week. The gearing on my Checkpoint with a 40t chainring is good for 30mph. The aero bike will only be faster if you're in front. Tires make the bike faster everywhere. Gearing makes a difference on the high and low end. Otherwise, your Topstone will do everything a Supersix will do pretty much the same.

I'd recommend putting road tires on it, getting behind someone your height/weight and not being afraid to put effort in early in the ride and to get dropped. Just get dropped, everyone gets dropped. Alot of the speed differences between an 18mph ride and 21mph are just in the initial acceleration, not the steady state effort. Over the winter, work on getting your upper body low and staying low, maybe some repeat 1min anaerobic effort along with your normal steady state.

Last edited by jfranci3; 10-28-19 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 11:21 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts

I used to race back in the '70s and '80s while riding steel bikes with pretty aggressive geometries. Up until two months ago I continued to ride some of those vintage bikes until I finally broke down and bought a Specialized Roubaix Expert. Yeah, it's an endurance bike, but it still feels pretty quick and lively if that's what you want it to do. In my case, though, I just needed to ride a bike with a geometry that would conform a bit better to my aging back. The difference is obviously noticeable, but not terribly dramatic. If I wanted to crouch down a little tighter on the Roubaix to improve my speed and performance, I honestly believe that it can be done. On the other hand, the Roubaix is perhaps the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden in terms of putting on a lot of miles without putting much thought into it.
Old 10-29-19, 06:50 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
This past Saturday I was playing around with a Super Six Evo at the shop, in fact I was messing with quite a few of them as framesets. Just for giggles I weighed a 51 Super Six Evo frame only, and it was well under 2 pounds. Shazzam! Was really surprised the thing was that light. Also weighed a 54 Synapse carbon frame only and it was just over 2.5 pounds. Not sure 3/4 of a pound will make the bike any faster, as there is so much more to going fast than frame and component weight.

For what it is worth, I am just as fast today at age 60 on my self built laid back jack of all trades bike as I was on my team issued bike when I was 25. The only time I feel the weight is going up hills and accelerating (naturally). Go for comfort and the speed will follow. At 25-30mph aero dynamics will play a role for sure, and in that case reducing frontal exposure is a benefit to the Evo frame as it puts the body lower up front.
Old 10-30-19, 09:46 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I've been getting serious about riding this year, and plan to train over the winter with an indoor trainer and I'm working to drop some lbs. I can hang with 18mph group rides and have done 2 centuries this year, but want to join the fast 21-22 mph group rides and do at least 4 centuries next year.

I'm looking to buy a dedicated road bike, preferably carbon that can run true 32mm tires. I already have a Topstone that's great, but I'd like to keep that set up with big tires and a rear rack.

My head is spinning with all the choices out there and I'm 6'5" so no local shops have anything in my size in stock. My Topstone is an XL, with 40.2 cm reach, 120 mm stem, and 64 cm stack. The Supersix is supposed to be a fast, race type road bike and the 62 cm has a 40.6 reach and 63.4 cm stack. That seems pretty close to my Topstone which is supposed to be a more relaxed, endurance geometry.

@FrankTuna I think that the supersix is designed for speed vs endurance so it might have you tucked down a bit more. I know that my Cervelo R2 is much faster than previous road bike, my old cross style commuter with 28mm slicks on, and my Salsa Journeyman 650B.
Even riding the same roads the bike is much much lighter and responds to pedaling inputs make the bike respond much quicker. I love it.

Someone in the thread said this "This. Endurance bikes are designed around comfort. Then race bikes are designed around performance...stiffer, more responsive, quicker handling, etc. So, while overall speed between the too may not differ much, how they feel/get up to that speed can be very different." i would agree with this assessment.

speaking of marginal gains you said, "Well I don't think I'd look good with shaved legs, so I'm looking at my other options" they might not look good but don't underestimate the mental lift of shaved legs while out riding fast.