Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best touring set up for under $1,500?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 12-23-19, 04:24 PM
Liquidspacehead

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

So I haven't been riding as long as most of you reading this now. I started as a kid for fun but into my adult years for serious and it became my main and only form of transportation. I have ridden everything from a single speed in the flat city of Charleston SC for a few years, to now riding everything from road bikes to vintage mountain bikes in the mountains of NC. I love all the bikes that I've ridden and built here. But I always go back to the salsa casserole that I had. I had to give it to my wife because I bought it second hand and it was just a little too small. I would like to keep my budget at or under 1k but I'm willing to spend 1,500. I wont be doing any serious touring any time soon. It will mostly be a commuter and adventure bike. I just LOVE the way the touring frame shape feels. I would like 9-11 speed in the back 2-3up front unless it's a 1x and it's a 46T. I have done far too much thinking into this bike but I think I realize what I am looking for. In the sense of road, gravel, etc.. drop bars, disc preferred if not then V brakes. And I'm not too picky kn much else. As long as shes tough and shifts smooth I'm willing to try any!
Old 12-23-19, 07:34 PM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Fuji Touring (nicely within your budget) and the Kona Sutra (at the top end of your budget) immediately spring to mind. Both are considered to be good value. My better half has a Sutra and it's a great bike. What country are you in? In the US you can always order from Bikes Direct. They have a few touring specced models that are good value as long as you can tune it up a bit upon arrival. There are lots of retailers in Europe that ship internationally as well with different touring rigs. The Ribble Adventure looks nice for a more offroad touring approach, for example.

There are so many options out there you have to whittle the list down a bit by thinking about what you want to (are going to) do with it. Is it going to be commuting on roads with a light load 95% of the time? Maybe you want a gravel bike like the Cannondale Topstone. Do you want the option to go heavy loaded at some point? Maybe you should be looking for a used or clearance sale Surly Disc Trucker... All of the bikes I've linked here are within your budget. $1000-$1500 has a lot of possibilities.
Old 12-23-19, 07:34 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Find a used Casserole that fits and buy it. Gotta be something out there under 1500.
Old 12-23-19, 07:49 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
REI house brands are great value:

https://www.rei.com/product/122462/c...es-adv-11-bike

Even better value during their sales (which isn't right now).
Likes For tyrion:
Old 12-23-19, 07:51 PM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
REI house brands are great value:

https://www.rei.com/product/122462/c...es-adv-11-bike

Even better value during their sales (which isn't right now).
Oh yeah, forgot about those. Those are well specced and good value.
Likes For DanBell:
Old 12-23-19, 08:00 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 341 Posts
Cinelli Hobootleg

I've enjoyed my Cinelli Hobootleg for local riding and touring. It's got relatively short stainstays so it handles smartly.
Old 12-24-19, 02:13 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Buy a 1980's Miyata touring bike .... upgrade it to your own specifications ....

Thats what I've done to a Miyata 1000
Old 12-24-19, 04:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Personally I don't get why you'd prefer the "touring" bike feel. Since I discovered the joy of ultralight gear, I'd try to avoid that even for real loaded touring if I were ever to actually ever carry a heavy load again. That said there are a number of traditional touring bikes that fit your price range. The Fuji comes to mind as do the Fuji clones (I assume Bikes Direct still has one for a reasonable price).

That said would you maybe consider one of the newer gravel bikes. They would be plenty functional and versatile, touring capable, and fun to ride. Something like the Cannondale Topstone Disc SE with 105 level components could fit in that price range if you look around for price on 2019 models. You could go cheaper with lesser components.

That does assume you would be willing to go without traditional front racks. You could use a handle bar bag or a large bar roll though so you could balance out a medium load pretty well. If you insist on really heavy touring it may not work out well unless you are a trailer user, but personally I am happy with light loads on extended camping and cooking trips of any length and would maybe even go rack-less front and back at least on some trips.
Old 12-24-19, 08:59 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Lots of good suggestions so far. There's always the LHT which is probably the most popular touring bike ever or the Crosscheck which might just be the most versatile frame out there. I've seen them built up as everything from bare-bones FG commuters to a decked-out randonneuse. The Jamis Aurora series is something to consider. I probably have 20k miles on mine. It's a good bike. You may also be interested in a dirt-drop conversion which you could do for way under your budget.
Likes For kingston:
Old 12-24-19, 08:59 AM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Model year leftovers are a good way to get a deal. I bought my Breezer Radar gravel bike for a bit over $700 US and swapped out the groupset for the new Shimano 105 R7000 stuff (minus the brakes), then had Velocity Cliffhanger 36 spoke wheels built. Total cost to me was $1600, including the wheel guy's tip. I now have a bike I ride locally year round and tour on as well, and it's exactly how I want it. My LBS found the year-end deal as they're not usually shown on the brand name websites.

Likes For zweitesmal2:
Old 12-24-19, 09:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
When you say you won't do any touring anytime soon, does that mean that the bike has to be capable of carrying a heavy load? If not, that means you could get one of the newer bikes marketed as gravel bikes.

And since budget is a concern, if you are patient until you see exactly what you want you can get some great deals used.
Old 12-24-19, 01:25 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
As suggested above, look at used. Bikes hold their utility far longer than their resale value. Whatever you get is most likely just going to be a stake in the ground for your next bike, which will be like the first one but with more/fewer speeds, longer/shorter chain stays, flat/drop/other bars, etc.
A look at the classifieds here and at CGOAB will turn up a lot of possibilities. Craig's List, probably even more, and probably more lightly used, less well maintained, and, thus cheaper.
Good luck
Old 12-24-19, 06:40 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
99 Spokes , Search and Compare over 33,000 Bikes
Salsa Casseroll is not in their database , but it still may help you find something similar .
https://99spokes.com
Old 12-25-19, 01:22 AM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
https://bikeinsights.com/bikes/5c154...alsa-casseroll

Salsa Casserol geometries at bike insights . you can compare to other bikes .

Last edited by pakeboi; 12-25-19 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-25-19, 07:31 PM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How about a Specialized seqoiua? Disc brakes good solid bike. Base model 2x9
Old 12-25-19, 08:12 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Get a mostly tiagra/some 105 equipped gravel bike for 1000-1100 particularly a year end one and build some nicer touring specific wheels for it. Mine is a Blue with full tiagra with FSA 48/32 chainrings running 11-34t cassette. There's probably some places that gearing won't work for me but it'll take me anyplace with a bikepacking load in NY. I immediately changed the wheels from a 28 spoke to a pair of 32h XT M8000 hubs with Velocity Dyads. The rear wheel has 13/14 single butted spokes and the front is regular 14/15 double butted for a really sturdy, go anywhere wheelset. With clearance pricing it kept it to around 1200. Not quite a real touring bike but I've toured Prince Edward Island with it and it was comfortable for 8hrs at a time and it can take panniers front and rear. Seems most of the brands have something like it now.
Old 12-26-19, 10:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10900 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquidspacehead
So I haven't been riding as long as most of you reading this now. I started as a kid for fun but into my adult years for serious and it became my main and only form of transportation. I have ridden everything from a single speed in the flat city of Charleston SC for a few years, to now riding everything from road bikes to vintage mountain bikes in the mountains of NC. I love all the bikes that I've ridden and built here. But I always go back to the salsa casserole that I had. I had to give it to my wife because I bought it second hand and it was just a little too small. I would like to keep my budget at or under 1k but I'm willing to spend 1,500. I wont be doing any serious touring any time soon. It will mostly be a commuter and adventure bike. I just LOVE the way the touring frame shape feels. I would like 9-11 speed in the back 2-3up front unless it's a 1x and it's a 46T. I have done far too much thinking into this bike but I think I realize what I am looking for. In the sense of road, gravel, etc.. drop bars, disc preferred if not then V brakes. And I'm not too picky kn much else. As long as shes tough and shifts smooth I'm willing to try any!
Confusing all around.
- you defer to the experience here by saying you havent been riding as long as most, but then you list how youve been riding since a kid and are so dedicated that cycling as the only way you get around in life.
- If you like the geometry of a touring bike, then look for bikes with the geometry you like. What about a touring bike do you like and which touring bike specifically(i assume its not the too small for you Casserole you mention since that is too small and uses neutral endurance road bike geometry). Until you can identify what about a touring frame you like, there isnt much hope of people recommending bikes that match it. Touring bikes vary greatly in feel and features, so 4 of them could feel different from one another and none may feel like what you have in mind.
- I dont understand your drivetrain wants at all. You want 9-11 in back and 2-3 up front, or you want a 46t 1x? That, to me, makes no sense. A 3x9 drivetrain will have bailout gearing thats around 28/34 standard, and the 1x would be 46/42 maybe(since thats about the biggest a 1x comes in at this price point, in general). Another example- a 2x11 drivetrain with 46/30 up front mated to an 11-34 cassette. 30/34 is, again, completely different from 46/42 gearing that would most likely be the best your 1x would come with.
- Gravel/Touring bikes dont usually come with 46t 1x rings, so you may need to buy one.

Narrow and specify your wants. Otherwise, you will continue to get suggestions that are all over the place and may or may not be similar to what you want.
Old 12-26-19, 04:08 PM
Liquidspacehead

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Find a used Casserole that fits and buy it. Gotta be something out there under 1500.
I already have one. Its ky fiances. But I want a new bike. That is the reason I'm doing all this
Old 12-26-19, 05:33 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I was able to build this up for about $700 including bags. Apex 1x11 mechanical disk. WTB Byway 650x48. Barely fit my Kelty Salida 2, sleep system, cook system, 2 days worth of food, and some extra clothes.

Old 12-27-19, 07:19 PM
Geezerdan

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fuji touring.
Old 12-28-19, 03:24 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Geezerdan
Fuji touring.
Awfully tough to beat for the price if you want a new bike. Of course one needs to desire (or at least be willing to accept) bar end shifters.
Old 01-04-20, 12:58 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquidspacehead
I already have one. Its ky fiances. But I want a new bike. That is the reason I'm doing all this
By "new" do you mean "brand new"? Or "new to you" (second hand, something you haven't had before)?

As has been mentioned Surly bikes are hard to beat. However, in your price range I don't think you are going to have much to choose from in the "brand new" realm.

If you have a decent idea of what you want, it sounds to me like you do (you have enough riding experience, in my opinion, that you can size the bike right, have a preference for handle bars, saddles, shifters, brakes, and the like), then building a bike up from parts would be the way I would go.

As to framesets - the Disk Trucker is one option. However, that is the bike I ride and the one caution I would throw your way is watch the tire clearance. If you can define the size range of tires that might work for you up front then this is going to be a big help. On a 700c/52cm frame (what mine is) I can't get more than about a 42mm tire on there with fenders. If you can live with that, or smaller, then I say it is a great bike. If you want the flexibility of bigger tires then the Troll or ECR would be the next frame sets to consider. The geometry is going to be different, however.

The limitation I have with my bike and tire size comes to soft terrain. Most notably - the in-between seasons where it is below freezing at night and above freezing during the day with non-paved trails. The surface can freeze solid over night then as the day progresses the top layer thaws. This creates a soft mud on the top layer of the trail surface which the tires sink in to. The biggest tires I had on my bike were 42mm's and they were far from wide enough. This scenario may never pertain to how/where/when you ride, but it is a situation I have dealt with a lot in the past - enough that it is shaping my future desires in another bike (I want to build up an ECR).

With any second hand bike or part - inspect carefully. Look for stress, dents, bends, and cracks - however small - around weldments (bottom of the seat tube/top of BB, rear dropouts against chain stays, etc, etc).
Old 01-12-20, 09:46 AM
tom cotter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone mentioned the Trek 520 yet? Trek's longest lived production bike! And, one of the most loved touring bikes! I own two, and am a big fan! List price is just beyond your top end here, but most stores will discount, which will bring it within range. Highly recommended!

PS: this is my first post here in years. When did they add the like button?
Old 01-12-20, 02:34 PM
speyfitter

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tom cotter
Has anyone mentioned the Trek 520 yet? Trek's longest lived production bike! And, one of the most loved touring bikes! I own two, and am a big fan! List price is just beyond your top end here, but most stores will discount, which will bring it within range. Highly recommended!

PS: this is my first post here in years. When did they add the like button?
I agree - the new 520 is a pretty good value out of the box. While it is slightly over the budget at $1680 USD list it does come with front & rear racks which you will need anyways.