Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rainman slaps Garmin

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rainman slaps Garmin

Old 06-12-19, 01:43 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Rainman slaps Garmin

Garmin’s Biggest Competitor Is Their Own Software Instability

Old 06-12-19, 01:44 AM
Seattle Forrest

Old 06-12-19, 06:46 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The article is too long. I have stuff to do.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 06-12-19, 08:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I can't disagree with much of what he said. I have felt that way about Garmin for many years. I still use their products because they work for what I want to do. Great hardware maker, poor software maker.
Old 06-12-19, 08:28 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
He does tend to go on and on, doesn’t he. But I have to agree with the gist of what he’s saying. LiveTrack is hit or miss, phone pairing is more art than science, and my incident detection alarm sometimes goes off simply stopping at a traffic light. The one time I actually fell over it didn’t register. My old 500 would lock up every March when changing to daylight savings time or when I traveled east a time zone, can’t handle springing forward.
Old 06-12-19, 09:29 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
He does tend to go on and on, doesn’t he. But I have to agree with the gist of what he’s saying. LiveTrack is hit or miss, phone pairing is more art than science, and my incident detection alarm sometimes goes off simply stopping at a traffic light. The one time I actually fell over it didn’t register. My old 500 would lock up every March when changing to daylight savings time or when I traveled east a time zone, can’t handle springing forward.
The thing is, for a lot of us Garmin users we are kind of OCD about our data. If you couldn't reliably handle that over a well-established bluetooth connection, it undermines the users confidence in the device's reliability. Why I would trust my life on it, being it livetracking by my wife or incident detection alerts, if they couldn't even get the simple connections sorted.
Old 06-12-19, 09:46 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-12-19, 11:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
I didn't finish it either.
Old 06-12-19, 11:30 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts

-Tim-
The page length is 95% comments. The actual article is not that long, and it's full of pictures.
Old 06-12-19, 11:38 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have the Garmin Edge 1000 .... I see that the Garmin forum has now changed and there is no longer a section for the Edge 1000 .... that sucks as I frequented the forum often to see what new software updates were available and what bugs other users found
Old 06-12-19, 11:44 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
I agree with his point about Garmin being buggy, but he only brought up one example. The tracking feature. I guess the article would have been even longer had he started talking about all the myriad of problems Garmin's products have, but it's a long article with only one example. Wahoo is vastly superior in my opinion when it comes to ease of use, and functionality. Garmin seems to be stuck in the 90's, even with the look and feel of their products (and quality of operation!).
Old 06-12-19, 11:45 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I am a garmin user. Never had any issues and it always works. I wish I could change just a few things but nothing to stop me from switching it either. I am a satisfied customer.

RainM is a great place too, like the views and reviews. Does an awesome job. Maybe something good will come of this.
Old 06-12-19, 11:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

For what it's worth, I had an Edge 800 (pre BT) for almost a decade, and have had Fenix watches for several years. My stuff has almost always worked as advertised. Haven't used Live Tracking in a long time though.

It seems like their watches are more stable than their Edges. Mine only ever drops the BT connection when I go out of range, and I wear it all the time, not just on the bike.
Old 06-12-19, 12:20 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
My Fenix 5x Sapphire has worked flawlessly since I got it...I really like it.

The Edge 500 and the 1000 tour model worked alright too...although I could never get the crash feature to work on the tour model and Bluetooth upload sucked. It's supposed to alert someone if it senses a crash but I could never get it to work properly and just forgot about that feature. Truth be told, it may have been operator error but I did not find it user friendly at all. I also had an issue with it switching screens due to water on the screen when I first got it but eventually figured that out. So, in my limited anecdotal experience the watches are less buggy than the edge units.
Old 06-12-19, 02:46 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
For what it's worth, I had an Edge 800 (pre BT) for almost a decade, and have had Fenix watches for several years. My stuff has almost always worked as advertised. Haven't used Live Tracking in a long time though.

It seems like their watches are more stable than their Edges. Mine only ever drops the BT connection when I go out of range, and I wear it all the time, not just on the bike.
No they are not. We have had several of their watches, FR325/FR735/Fenix5/FR645 (between my daughter and I), for example, the bluetooth connection to the phone is never reliable, and it's across the board for all these watches, just like it's an issue with all their Edge devices. And another example, they release the FR645 as the music watch (with storage on board, and integration with Spotify and whatnot), but it doesn't work with Apple AirPods - now you tell me, as a product manager, would I ever release a consumer music device that doesn't work with 60% of wireless earbuds in the market? How would you NOT insist that it must work with the AirPods. When I talked to their support people, they told me it's Apple's problem because the AirPods use some proprietary implementation of the bluetooth profile, I am like, so what? This is a competitive business, not who's right or who's wrong. That there tells you a lot about their mindset.
Old 06-12-19, 02:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I turned anti-Garmin when I bought my 520. I always got less elevation than everyone else, the battery life started nose-diving right out of the box, and the pairing (BT and sensor) issues were ever-present. Don't get me wrong-- it worked, probably a solid 95% of the time. But it would also crash and reboot mid-ride absolutely out of nowhere, or lock up while saving a ride and then pretend as if it never happened. Oh, and let's not forget the good ol' GPS Timecode errors-- the 520 would lose track of the satellites (again) and then resync, but add like 300 hours to my moving time. Strava wouldn't even upload the file. My 520 was such an airhead I still have fitfiletools.com in my toolbar. And then there's the oft-required restarts, and the.... etc, etc. Now the Edge 500 on the other hand... it ate a grand total of one ride in it's 5+ years of service, and that was due to full memory. It still resides in a drawer as the backup computer, will still get 12+ hours on a charge, and I bought it refurbished.

I'm a Wahoo guy now. My Bolt has been absolutely flawless since it came out of the box. The first bike computer I've ever owned that genuinely feels like it was designed by someone who actually rides a bicycle.
Old 06-12-19, 03:06 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
My Garmins work perfectly 95-99% of the time. If I wasn't obsessive over my data, I might not notice when the software doesn't work right. To be fair, most of the software I use works 95-99% of the time. I wish it was better, but that's simply the state of software.

FWIW, my bike, my car, and my AC also work 95-99% of the time. C'est la vie.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 06-12-19, 03:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by RJM
My Fenix 5x Sapphire has worked flawlessly since I got it...I really like it.

The Edge 500 and the 1000 tour model worked alright too...although I could never get the crash feature to work on the tour model and Bluetooth upload sucked. It's supposed to alert someone if it senses a crash but I could never get it to work properly and just forgot about that feature. Truth be told, it may have been operator error but I did not find it user friendly at all. I also had an issue with it switching screens due to water on the screen when I first got it but eventually figured that out. So, in my limited anecdotal experience the watches are less buggy than the edge units.
Same watch. I pre-ordered mine, so that's 2.5 (?) years now? I use it every time on the bike, hiking, lifting weights 3x per week, swimming, and running. One issue on one activity in all that time, seems to be a 3rd party data field.
Old 06-12-19, 03:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by dalava
No they are not. We have had several of their watches, FR325/FR735/Fenix5/FR645 (between my daughter and I), for example, the bluetooth connection to the phone is never reliable, and it's across the board for all these watches, just like it's an issue with all their Edge devices. And another example, they release the FR645 as the music watch (with storage on board, and integration with Spotify and whatnot), but it doesn't work with Apple AirPods - now you tell me, as a product manager, would I ever release a consumer music device that doesn't work with 60% of wireless earbuds in the market? How would you NOT insist that it must work with the AirPods. When I talked to their support people, they told me it's Apple's problem because the AirPods use some proprietary implementation of the bluetooth profile, I am like, so what? This is a competitive business, not who's right or who's wrong. That there tells you a lot about their mindset.
That used to be the case when I had a Fenix 3 and a different phone. When I changed phones, the BT connection became rock solid and has been for years since. I also use mine to know what time it is which means I'm wearing it always, and it vibrates when BT drops. That really only happens when I go out of range.

Sounds like this happens with multiple (different?) phones for you, so that's probably not it.
Old 06-12-19, 03:30 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This will inevitably turn into a Garmin bug rant vs "I've never had a problem with my Garmin" thread.

What I find more interesting however, is that rainmaker would post a 3800 word essay/analysis of Garmin's business practices complete with custom photography, pie charts, whitty quips and in depth analysis as if this is somehow a topic worthy of such an epic work.

I don't think a paid consultant would provide a quality analysis such as this.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 06-12-19, 05:40 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My issue , is too, the dropping of live track. My wife gets excited , when the live track connection is dropped. But, she will send a text, sometimes the text shows up on the Garmin, sometimes , not. Even when the live track icon, is showing on the Garmin, but I'll hear the text , stop, I let her know all is okay. Pain in the butt, but for the most part, it works. I end up, doing the restart function on the phone, and it re-connects, live trak starts working. KB
Old 06-12-19, 07:12 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
My issue , is too, the dropping of live track. My wife gets excited , when the live track connection is dropped. But, she will send a text, sometimes the text shows up on the Garmin, sometimes , not. Even when the live track icon, is showing on the Garmin, but I'll hear the text , stop, I let her know all is okay. Pain in the butt, but for the most part, it works. I end up, doing the restart function on the phone, and it re-connects, live trak starts working. KB
Life360 can track you by your wife if you carry a phone with you anyway. I tried the LiveTracking on Garmin but stopped using it for the exact reason you described - who wants to stop in the middle of group ride.
Old 06-12-19, 07:13 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
This will inevitably turn into a Garmin bug rant vs "I've never had a problem with my Garmin" thread.

What I find more interesting however, is that rainmaker would post a 3800 word essay/analysis of Garmin's business practices complete with custom photography, pie charts, whitty quips and in depth analysis as if this is somehow a topic worthy of such an epic work.

I don't think a paid consultant would provide a quality analysis such as this.

-Tim-
I fail to grasp the point of this post. Far as I can see, this has not turned into a Garmin bug rant vs "I've never had a problem with my Garmin" thread.
Old 06-12-19, 11:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

I do think DCR is right on this one. I've seen it many times on this forum. The main reason people buy Wahoo, etc, is because they're tired of their Garmin.

He gets units early from Garmin and info too. I'm a little surprised he'd publish this.
Old 06-13-19, 03:05 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Garmin just replace my 520+ for a BT chip failure. I pre-ordered last year and it worked perfectly for the 10 months leading up to the failure where I would have to re-pair after every two or three rides. I sent an email to support detailing the problems and what I had done to troubleshoot, and they opened an RMA without any further questions. I bought the 520+ after 7 years of flawless performance from an Edge 500, but today, if I had a do over, I'd probably buy the Wahoo.

FWIW, the Livetrack feature has always seemed to work just fine, and even when I've dropped phone connection mid-ride, the livetrack has continued through the automatic reconnect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.