Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement for Shimano RD-M700, Deer Head (with "Super Plate System")

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-10-19, 08:13 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

Hi Guys

I have a 1980's Miyata 1000 ... it has the Shimano Deerhead groupset with the Shimano RD-M700, Deore XT (with "Super Plate System") rear derailier

I think I need to replace the jockey wheels as the one on top has terrible squeeking .... If I add bike oil or even WD40, the noise goes away, but after a day or two it returns

Can I get replacement Jockey wheels? )I've searched the internet and can't seem to find a replacement set ...

I've also read that these derailiers are not so robust. .... Can you suggest a suitable replacement?

My wheelset is modern (HED Belgium Plus rims, with a Royce rear hub and 6 speed freewheel (14-28) .... Front hub is Son 28

I have bar end shifters (friction)

I'm planning on riding long tours on this bike and need something that will be trouble free

Last edited by dim; 12-10-19 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-10-19, 08:44 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Try cleaning the wheels, and lubing them with grease, preferably the kind with moly content.
Old 12-10-19, 09:15 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
If the teeth on the jockey wheels are still in decent shape then just disassemble, clean, add a little grease to the bushing surfaces, and reassemble.
Old 12-10-19, 10:06 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
Hi Guys

I have a 1980's Miyata 1000 ... it has the Shimano Deerhead groupset with the Shimano RD-M700, Deore XT (with "Super Plate System") rear derailier

I think I need to replace the jockey wheels as the one on top has terrible squeeking .... If I add bike oil or even WD40, the noise goes away, but after a day or two it returns

Can I get replacement Jockey wheels? )I've searched the internet and can't seem to find a replacement set ...

I've also read that these derailiers are not so robust. .... Can you suggest a suitable replacement?
Well it has lasted 30 some years.

Looks like the lower pulley is a standard shimano item but the upper guide pully not so much.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-RD-M700-SP-0615B.pdf
Old 12-10-19, 10:36 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Squeaking might be lubrication or it might be excessive wear (part 24, and the inner sleeve of part 22 in the diagram above). As stated above, if the teeth are ok, disassemble, clean, and inspect the upper wheel and bushings. If worn, and you want to keep this style, they are available on ebay. If wear is not bad, lube and reassemble.

To all: is there a go-to good rear derailleur for use with friction shifting for use in a replacement in such situations?

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 12-10-19 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-10-19, 01:09 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks Guys .... I will go to my LBS and see if he can dismantle and service ... the problem is with the top wheel
Old 12-12-19, 11:10 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
For durability, reliability, serviceability, and period-correctness (ish): SunTour VGT Luxe. Bombproof enough that it was used on a lot of early mountain bikes.

You are correct- if that upper pulley fails on the SPS derailleur there's no replacing it. They were tough to source back then. There are a couple complete derailleurs on Ebay right now- $75 to $100 is the asking price.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 12-12-19 at 11:15 PM.