Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Picking up bike on Friday- what else do I need?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 12:29 PM
calliebear9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bike was delivered to store yesterday and is scheduled for assembly this Friday...which means I get to pick it up to ride this weekend!! Well, that is the plan at least. Since I haven't ridden it yet (Coda Sport Femme 16") just rode a larger Coda Comp, I really hope it fits okay. Otherwise it is back to drawing board on picking a bike...

So in addition to the bike I was going to pick up a helmet, lock and bell (I will ride primarily on bike paths to start). Is there anything else I will need right away?
Old 06-26-13, 12:44 PM
wombat94

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 3.0 - 1998 Trek 800 Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given the warmer temperatures, I'd suggest a water bottle cage and a bottle if you haven't already added them in.
Old 06-26-13, 12:52 PM
KungPaoSchwinn

Bikes: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Light for the front and rear so you can be seen.
Old 06-26-13, 02:13 PM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 Quarters for a BK ice cream cone.
Old 06-26-13, 02:24 PM
Jimbojo

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got my bike a week and a half ago, I would add to your list, gloves, a spare tube, flat repair kit and pump. We also had our tubes filled with a sealant, but here in the southwest goat heads are every where and flats are inevitable.

Jimbo
Old 06-26-13, 03:00 PM
JayWall

Bikes: Whyte Caledonian 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, i just got my first bike in years recently and found i needed a whole host of stuff i didn't have or wasn't suitable. Firstly, clothing you are comfortable in to ride the bike and if you don't have one i would suggest a lightweight wind breaker pretty useful, sunglasses to stop your eyes weeping are good to have too. You will definitely need a pump, but before you just grab one consider the valves required and where you want to keep it. If you want it on your bike then think where will it go and what size do you want, you might want to consider the colour to match your shiney new bike.

I would also suggest some tools. Check your bike to see what's required. At the least i would imagine a set of Allen keys and maybe screwdrivers. Or a multitool that has everything you need, i would suggest separate tyre leavers though, the ones on multi tools can be difficult to use.

I have decided to buy a small saddle bag and kit it out with a remote fix it kit, it includes a spare inner tube, cheap (but pretty good) bike multi tool off of ebay, puncture repair kit, tyre leavers, brake shim, plasters and bits and bobs.

You will in the weeks ahead also want to get some chain lube and other service type stuff, have a look around the forum for advice on this and the climate you will be riding in, loads of good info on the search button at the top.

Water bottle and cage, as mentioned already, but again, get your bike first before you consider the size and type you might want. Some are lightweight, others have more features such as having adjustable sizing to fit any size bottle.

I also bought a cheap cycle compuyer off of ebay, i use it primarily to time myself on my commute and to keep a track of how far i have gone, i might see if there is a direct correlation between miles cycled and my belt size. I hope so!

I hope you enjoy your new bike as much as i am enjoying mine, it's the perfect time of year to commute on one i think.
Old 06-26-13, 03:15 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Sunglasses, if you don't already have a pair you like. I don't like crud flying into my eyes while riding. If you plan on doing any night riding, a pair with multiple lenses is nice to have.

Sunscreen.
Old 06-26-13, 06:22 PM
SPiN 360

Bikes: 2013 Giant Roam XR1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check the laws in you area. You might be required to have a headlight and/or taillight.