Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Captain 6 feet, stoker 5 feet. Any hopes for a tandem?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 11:09 PM
Kokiafan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Not exactly sure this is the right spot, but my lovely companion has just said that she would be willing to buy a tandem for christmas! This is fantastic news, as I have been trying to get her on the road for years. She is ok with trail riding but scared of traffic on streets. I am thinking the best way to help her in this regard is to put her on the back of a tandem and let her get used to the one thing I love almost as much as her: road cycling.

I take a 54 or 56 cm frame, depending upon the neck and seatpost size (inseam 29 inches). She takes a much smaller frame--her road bike is a 35, with 650c wheels.

Am I on a Quixotic quest here to find a tandem that will fit us? Every tandem I have seen with a captain seat that fits, has a stoker frame size for someone 5'-6" or bigger.
Are we so mismatched that we will be unable to find a frame? Is this because it is impractical to build a frame for two people so mismatched in height?
Old 12-05-18, 06:33 AM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I see no reason why you couldn't have one custom made..
Old 12-05-18, 06:40 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I presume you have a "normal" tandem in mind, and I'll leave that for others to address. But....

Are you aware of semi-recumbent tandems?

I have a Counterpoint Opus II from the 80's that I used for several bike tours with my kids when they were small, and many rides with my wife (who still is small). Bilenky, in Philadelphia, inherited the patents and designs from Counterpoint, and offers custom frames with this design, now called the "viewpoint."
Viewpoint Semi-Recumbent Tandem

A similar bike is the Hase Pino:
https://hasebikes.com/95-1-Tandem-PINO-ALLROUND.html

And there's also the Performer Family Tandem:
Discount Performer Family Tandem Recumbent Bike : LightfootCycles.com
Old 12-05-18, 09:57 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Back in 1984 the shop I worked at (Pedallers in Rochester, NY) had a customer who was a couple inches over 6' and sight challenged. He wanted to ride across the country (back when this was a rare feat). he convinced his sister to captain for him, she stood about 5'. Kuwahara made a custom tandem with a 19ish inch front with a 24ish rear. Strange but effective. My boss was also over 6' and I was the small guy there so I got to captain my boss for a mile or so on the test ride, best engine I've ever had (only a few years prior he was NY state road champion).

It's far more important to have the captain's stand over right then that of the stoker. The captain steadies the bike as the stoker gets on (and sometimes climbs on), many teams find that the stoker will just stay seated at stops while the captain keeps the bike upright (what is sometimes called "The Proper Way" by tandemers). What is a point of design concern for the stoker is their reach and their bar width. Both of these factors are often played with to get all to fit in a "normal" dimensioned bike. Andy
Old 12-06-18, 02:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
This showed up at the Valet Bike Parking this summer.

CoMotion Tandem

It might be worth contacting the company and see if you can work something out. Made in Eugene, Oregon.

https://co-motion.com/
https://co-motion.com/bikes/bikes-grid-all-tandems

Bike Friday makes their Tandem Tuesday. By its design, it should be highly adjustable, and is also locally custom made here in Eugene. If you are up for a road trip, both Bike Friday and CoMotion are here. Where are you located?

Actually, maybe Bike Friday has renamed the tandem to "Family Tandem".
https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...ems-are-family
https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...em-travel-bike

You might also look at some of the vintage tandems. I have a Gitane frame with Mixte in the rear, horizontal bar in the front. I've heard they are a bit flexy, but it could be fun for casual rides.

I haven't done much with mine yet.

If you keep your eyes open, there should be a few around.
Old 12-06-18, 03:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In the latest RTR Mag, revue # 249 in # 63 , is of a Hase Pino,
with a Shimano Steps mid drive motor, (Cover pic)
which has a crossover drive for the front stoker.. Better View !

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-06-18 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-06-18, 03:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Bilenky also makes one of those front recumbent tandems.

Viewpoint Semi-Recumbent Tandem

They also have some pretty unique designs.

As far as those recumbent in front tandems, I've heard many people absolutely love them. But, the control is also a bit different from other tandems. I'd encourage you to try to find one to rent somewhere, if you're looking to buy new.

The Eugene Bike Co-op has one they rent out (locally built). Perhaps you can find a store that carries similar bikes available for rent.