Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any Trek carbon frame owners have the BB play issue?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-14-16, 09:01 AM
Gasser5.2

Bikes: 2016 Trek Domane 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Back in late September my 2016 Trek Domane 5.2 developed play in the cranks after only about 750 miles. The LBS I had just purchased it from brand new two months before said it was because the bottom bracket shell was just slightly too large for the BB90 to maintain a snug fit. This is apparently a fairly common issue with Trek carbon road bikes, and Trek has retrofitted some slightly larger BB90s to resolve the problem. The LBS installed one of these N/C, so I hoped the problem was resolved. I checked the cranks for play every few weeks, and everything seemed fine until a few days back I noticed some left foot and ankle discomfort while riding. At first I thought my cleat had moved, but after repeated adjustments it still didn't feel right. Then I remembered I hadn't check the cranks for play lately, and sure enough, they had 1mm or so of play, which may well have accounted for the discomfort.

So with just 1204 miles, back to the LBS I go and I'm told the BB shell was too worn to fix the problem, and a new frame would be needed. I was told to expect it to take 2-3 weeks minimum, and should know more in a day or two. I really love the bike, so am hoping I'll get squared away soon. Most importantly, I hope they can provide some assurance this won't be a recurring issue.

Anyone here had a similar issue with their Trek that can give me an idea of what to expect?
Old 11-14-16, 09:12 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Shouldn't this be on the carbon fiber sucks thread?
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 11-14-16, 09:25 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Trek has a lifetime warranty on the frame so i'm sure it will be delt with. it just sucks that you will be without a bike for a month or so. Maybe the LBS can give you a loaner.

I had a Madone 4.6 and put 15k on it before upgrading to a Emonda SLR and just hit 11,000 miles in 2 years. neither had a single problem. My son races a Madone 6.5 and never a problem.

***** happens and sometimes there are defects.
Old 11-14-16, 10:41 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I've got 4 (less than 4 year old) carbon Treks in my garage with mileage varying from 150 to 6000 and none of them have any issues. I've personally sold north of 30 carbon Treks at the shop this year (34, actually) and none of them have come back in for any issues.

We've seen one bike this year with an issue similar to this and Trek had a replacement frame (albeit in a different color, but same model tier) out to us in less than a week. Note: the customer approved the color change.

Based on stock levels, what the frame is, I don't think 2 to 3 weeks is unreasonable. We were very surprised that the swap on our customer's frame was so quick. Typically it's 2-3.
Old 11-14-16, 11:28 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I have a carbon Trek with a SRAM BB86 GXP bottom bracket. I've never had any play, and to be honest I've never even removed the crank since the bike was new 4 years ago. The bearings still feel smooth so I haven't bothered.
Old 11-14-16, 02:07 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Get the LBS to Loctite 609 the bottom bracket in place while you are waiting for the replacement. I bet it will fix the problem for more than just a few weeks.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-14-16, 02:51 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Man,it's been years but I had that once with either the Madone 4.5 or the 5.9. I just don't remember. But it was a one time deal fixed by installing a bigger one if I remember correctly.
Old 11-14-16, 04:31 PM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've had two Domane 5.9 frames, the first had about 5000 miles on it before it was replaced (for a completely different reason) and now the replacement has about 4000 miles on it. Neither have had this issue.
Old 11-14-16, 11:01 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
my 2010 madone eventually developed a slight creak, but no "play". My new Emonda is totally fine. Loctite to the rescue, but I'm not so sure that will work if you are talking about actual play in the cranks, that was an issue a long time ago when they first developed the BB90, but haven't heard of that in any of their newer models.
Old 11-15-16, 01:12 PM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My 2014 Domane has had the right crank arm fall off while riding 3 different times. LBS tells me it is because the bearings are not quite tight enough in the bb shell. Supposed to be press fit, but from what I understand, there was very little pressing needed to put the bearing back in (right side only). Last time the crank arm fell off was this summer and have not had the issue since.

Kinda hoping it does break again so I can have an excuse to get the SLR frame
Old 11-15-16, 07:07 PM
Gasser5.2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Get the LBS to Loctite 609 the bottom bracket in place while you are waiting for the replacement. I bet it will fix the problem for more than just a few weeks.
They originally told me over the phone they were going to Loctite Green the BB and that should fix the problem. But when I brought it in the same guy looked at it and said that wouldn't work because the shell was too worn, so they'd have to warranty it.

Then today the same guy said he decided to Loctite it after all, and after stress testing it on some hills, he's confident the problem's solved.

Me, not so much. I don't know why he'd say it was too far gone to Loctite, then turn around and Loctite it after all. I'm thinking he was told to do that by the warranty guy. Going to pick it up tomorrow and stomp on it on some big hills.
Likes For Gasser5.2:
Old 11-15-16, 08:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Gasser5.2
They originally told me over the phone they were going to Loctite Green the BB and that should fix the problem. But when I brought it in the same guy looked at it and said that wouldn't work because the shell was too worn, so they'd have to warranty it.

Then today the same guy said he decided to Loctite it after all, and after stress testing it on some hills, he's confident the problem's solved.

Me, not so much. I don't know why he'd say it was too far gone to Loctite, then turn around and Loctite it after all. I'm thinking he was told to do that by the warranty guy. Going to pick it up tomorrow and stomp on it on some big hills.
In this case the Loctite should just be a way to keep you riding while your new frame is coming. You need to hold out for that. You should not IMO accept the old frame for permanent use.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-15-16, 09:11 PM
uscdigital

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how does the play feel? or how can i check to see if i have it? thanks, OP and hope you get this squared away asap.
Old 11-16-16, 09:08 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Gasser, during this process of warranty assembly/disassembly/diagnosis, does the bike shop charge you for labor? (My LBS would, so I'm curious to see if that's normal.)
Old 11-17-16, 07:31 AM
Gasser5.2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uscdigital
how does the play feel? or how can i check to see if i have it? thanks, OP and hope you get this squared away asap.
Just bring one of your crank arms up to 12 o'clock and rock it towards you and back toward the bike to see if there's any play. You'll feel the play through the crank arm if there is any.
Old 11-17-16, 07:32 AM
Gasser5.2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Gasser, during this process of warranty assembly/disassembly/diagnosis, does the bike shop charge you for labor? (My LBS would, so I'm curious to see if that's normal.)
Absolutely not. I've never heard of a shop charging labor when there's no dispute something is covered under warranty.
Old 11-17-16, 07:35 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Absolutely not. I've never heard of a shop charging labor when there's no dispute something is covered under warranty.
Not with Trek maybe, but the Specialized warranty requires you to pay labor for warranty repairs. (One reason I stopped riding their bikes.)
Old 11-17-16, 07:40 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Not with Trek maybe, but the Specialized warranty requires you to pay labor for warranty repairs. (One reason I stopped riding their bikes.)
Unless things have changed since I worked in bike shops, most, if not all, bike companies selling bikes in the US cover labor on warranty repairs for the first year but not thereafter.
Old 11-17-16, 07:42 AM
Gasser5.2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In this case the Loctite should just be a way to keep you riding while your new frame is coming. You need to hold out for that. You should not IMO accept the old frame for permanent use.
They're looking at the Loctite as the permanent fix, but have assured me in writing if it doesn't work they will replace the frame. For now, that's good enough for me as they've always done right by me in the past. If I do end up needing a new frame I'm going to insist on a free bike fit for my trouble.
Old 11-17-16, 07:49 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Unless things have changed since I worked in bike shops, most, if not all, bike companies selling bikes in the US cover labor on warranty repairs for the first year but not thereafter.
Things must have changed. Look up the Specialized warranty. "Owner must pay the cost of all labor" and "all work must be performed by an authorized Specialized dealer." Dumb.
Old 01-10-17, 02:54 PM
Gasser5.2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just a follow-up. The BB loosened up again, so I took the bike to my LBS last night and they're going to warranty the frameset. Was told to expect a minimum turnaround of 3 weeks.
Old 01-10-17, 04:17 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Agreed. If a slightly over size BB isn't even working, this seem like a bodge. Temporary fix at best. Imo, and all that ...
Old 01-10-17, 04:22 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Just a follow-up. The BB loosened up again, so I took the bike to my LBS last night and they're going to warranty the frameset. Was told to expect a minimum turnaround of 3 weeks.
Oh! sorry, wast realising I was replying an old post above. Im happy you will get an other frame. If the press fit isn't securing the BB in place the frame is likely out of spec anyway.
Old 02-14-17, 07:58 AM
Gasser5.2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just to update - rather than replace the frame, Trek built up the BB shell with additional carbon fiber to provide a snugger fit. I haven't had a chance to log too many miles on it yet, so we'll see if this provides a permanent fix.
Old 02-14-17, 12:47 PM
Oracle7775
Five and Dime

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, the BB90 demon strikes again. I have the same frame, and I was hoping Trek had sorted through their "stretched" bottom bracket issues, but apparently not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.