Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Pneumonia anyone?

Old 08-28-18, 07:23 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Pneumonia anyone?

So I've had the crud for going on almost a month now. Thought I could kick it on my own, like most of all the other times in my life. Not this time. I let it go too long and now the doc tells me I have pneumonia. Not severe enough to be hospitalized, but bad enough that I haven't been able to ride most of the month, and now I'm out of the office until at least next week.

First ever experience with this, so I'm curious to know how many of you good people have had to deal with it, how long did it affect your riding, and were there any repercussions or side effects when you came back?
Old 08-28-18, 08:50 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Well, this will pop into pills & ills shortly, but....

Yeah, pneumonia sucks. Take good care of yourself, listen to your doctor, and listen to your body.

Reminds me of Monty Python:

Well, she turned me into a newt!
A newt?!
I got better.

(So far.)

My recoveries (yeah, plural) have both slow and rapid. First time my child was a toddler. (Coin flip on hospitalization.) Most recent time my child is an adult. (Hospital time hasn’t come up since the first time.)

How long to recover? It depends. Everytime has been different, both in depths and lengths, but....

Every time at some point I feel like never ever will get I better. (Sounds like you are here.) Dread walking down stairs because of the return trip.

But then, I’m walking down and walking up stairs. I am sleeping at night, And waking during the day. I am enjoying eating (and I stop losing weight). I am taking short walks. And I am cooking something for myself. I am walking farther. And I am cooking meals for the family. Walking still farther. I am taking short bike rides. I am returning to work. Riding shortish. Eating out at a resturaunt. Riding Longer. Riding still longer. Cooking a great meal for good friends and laughing it only seems like all night. Riding all day.

Long term side effects? I can’t play trumpet. (But I’ve never played trumpet.)

Seriously, I’m now far less likely to let “crud” go for a few weeks “on my own.” (And people around me are less likely to let me ignore “crud” for a few weeks.)

Since every one of my experiences has been different, (and everyone I know who has gone through it has been different):

Again, take good care of yourself, listen to your doctor, and listen to your body. Pneumonia is serious, take it seriously.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-28-18 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 08:58 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
For those of us 65+, two pneumonia vaccines are recommended for all. For those younger, they are recommended for some folks. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/index.html
Old 08-29-18, 06:46 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Sounds like what they used to (still?) call "walking pneumonia." Not uncommon. In an otherwise healthy individual, it usually resolves itself uneventfully and reasonably quickly with proper treatment, which you seem to be getting.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-29-18, 07:20 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I had pneumonia at 14. It was very tough.
Old 08-29-18, 08:47 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
So I've had the crud for going on almost a month now. Thought I could kick it on my own, like most of all the other times in my life. Not this time. I let it go too long and now the doc tells me I have pneumonia. Not severe enough to be hospitalized, but bad enough that I haven't been able to ride most of the month, and now I'm out of the office until at least next week.

First ever experience with this, so I'm curious to know how many of you good people have had to deal with it, how long did it affect your riding, and were there any repercussions or side effects when you came back?
I had pneumonia when I was 17. Viral pneumonia that I caught from my parents (both of them had just recovered from it).

I really didn't feel that bad. I had a moderate fever, but felt fine. I also had a phegmy cough ... but never all that bad. Then I went to the doc ... he checked me into a hospital tout-de-suite.

Since it was a viral infection, antibiotics wouldn't really help, so he they put me in an oxygen tent. Oy, was that fun. With the mist, I couldn't see the TV and I couldn't use any kind of electronics for fear the enriched oxygen environment would explode. So all I could do was sit there and listen to the hissing. I couldn't even read a book.

It took several days, but I recovered. The doc came in, looked at my chart and shook his head.

"Youth."

I asked what he was talking about. He told me that if I were a middle aged man, my bout with pneumonia would have killed me.

I walked into the hospital and felt fine. But after I recovered, it was difficult to simply walk across the room! Holy crap. Making matters worse, I had pretty serious asthma as a kid ... serious enough to be hospitalized several times with it.

Recovery was quick, with no long lasting effects. At this point in my life, I actually have a much higher VO2 max than average. Maybe it was all that struggling for air when I was a kid.

Lesson: Any time you have chest congestion and a fever for more than a day or two ... suspect pneumonia and SEE A DOC. It doesn't matter how sick you feel.

Old 08-29-18, 10:54 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
battled that a bit this year. a real recovery is 6-8 weeks IMHO.
Old 08-29-18, 04:04 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I had pneumonia 6 years ago. I also let it go, thinking that I would lick it on my own. Next thing I remember, I'm in the back of an ambulance, and the tech is getting the difibrillator ready just on case. I was in the hospital for a week, and out of work for 6 weeks. Pretty crappy experience.
Old 08-29-18, 06:58 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I had it over 20 years ago and it took me about 4 weeks to recover. I was in Michigan and it was winter, so no riding then. I found percussive therapy did wonders, especially laying on your stomach with your feet elevated. Have someone pound on your back with cupped hands for 20 minutes or so. I laid on the bed from the waist down and laid my torso on an ottoman that was a little lower. I would hack up lot of stuff after it and could sleep much better afterwards. .
Old 08-30-18, 12:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've had pneumonia several times since I was a kid. I quit smoking more than 20 years ago, which cut way back on my annual winter bronchitis and pneumonia. Last time was about 12 years ago -- a pretty stressful time, which probably compromised my immune system. I wound up in the ER, which I don't even remember. A family member drove me.

Ditto the pneumonia vaccine.

And get plenty of rest and keep a close watch on any complications.

Some easy exercise may be okay, like using an indoor trainer or casual outdoor rides. To force myself to go easy I'll switch from my road bike to a hybrid, especially the heavy, upright comfort hybrid. Otherwise I wind up pushing too hard.
Old 08-30-18, 12:39 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
... how many of you good people have had to deal with it, how long did it affect your riding, and were there any repercussions or side effects when you came back?
A month of little to no exertion. Lots of sleep. Lots of fluids and vitamins/minerals. The appropriate antibiotics/medicines prescribed. More sleep, fluids, vitamins/minerals.

The month off impacts things about like one might expect. But, worse, IMO. Lung capacity can take quite awhile to recover, if hammered like pneumonia hammers it. Take your time, listen to your body, and recovery as slowly as necessary. Your body's weak during the recovery stage, and it's your lungs that were most affected. Don't push it, until everything's feeling great ... which might be weeks down the line.
Old 08-30-18, 07:27 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts
Anyone ever inhale a gnat or small bug? I like to finish my rides at sunset, unfortunately that's when the bugs like to venture out as well and last night I felt a bug as deep in my windpipe as I've ever felt. I was month breathing which I shouldn't have been. I tried to cough it up and couldn't and drank water hoping to send it the other way, but have this nagging fear that it may have gone in too far to get out. Should I be worried about a potential infection that could lead to pneumonia? I feel fine and haven't felt any irritation, just wondering where that gnat ended up.
Old 08-30-18, 07:57 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Anyone ever inhale a gnat or small bug? I like to finish my rides at sunset, unfortunately that's when the bugs like to venture out as well and last night I felt a bug as deep in my windpipe as I've ever felt. I was month breathing which I shouldn't have been. I tried to cough it up and couldn't and drank water hoping to send it the other way, but have this nagging fear that it may have gone in too far to get out. Should I be worried about a potential infection that could lead to pneumonia? I feel fine and haven't felt any irritation, just wondering where that gnat ended up.
A teeny thing like a gnat shouldn't cause a problem. I may have done that. No way to not breathe through the mouth at least some of the time with moderately strenuous exercise. You may cough up whats left of it at some point. Or not.
If you feel bad - fever, trouble breathing, pain, etc., consider seeking out a healthcare provider. But, likely won't have a problem.
If you inhale a cicada, on the other hand, ..............................................................................
Old 08-31-18, 07:02 AM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I had lobar pneumonia when I was in my 20's (ah, to be young and otherwise healthy). My only symptom was a fever; this threw the doc for a loop; said my symptoms should be much more severe. Started on antibiotics and 2 days later I felt like I had never been sick; hope it goes as easy for the OP but I think I was lucky in having a very mild case.
Old 09-04-18, 03:30 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Pneumonia

I had pneumonia coming up on 2 yrs ago. Did a long ride on Friday, drove to a meeting a few hundred miles away on Monday, but felt pretty tough. Worked Tuesday in really tough shape, and ended up getting admitted to the hospital that night. I kept spiking absurdly high fevers, so they kept me the better part of a week. I worked part days for a week or so, then was cleared to resume normal daily activities (stall cleaning in the barn, etc.), but it was winter, i wasn't going to be riding a ton anyway, but I'd say it took me 8 weeks total, because I did ride then, and breathing was surprisingly ok. It was cold enough that I wasn't going to be really ripping anyway. I never noticed any long term complications, my lung function returned to normal, so I did not end up with any significant scarring.
Old 09-04-18, 04:17 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
I've had it once for sure and possibly a second time.

The first time I was in college and playing on the basketball team, so I was young and in elite condition. Per X-Ray imagining both of my lungs in totality showed "junk" reflective of pneumonia. (I had a persistent cough to corroborate the X-Rays.)

I missed one day of part-time work and one day of practice. Then it was back to both. I really didn't feel that bad. I did, however, literally cough for three months. It took that long to clear out the lungs. Generally speaking, if you are not elderly and are otherwise healthy and fit and you don't feel that bad it is generally best if you do as much exercise that the situation reasonably permits. You will quickly learn your limits. Exercise in such scenarios is therapeutic to clearing out your lungs or in them becoming even more impacted.

The second time I was twenty years older and had a bad respiratory infection that at one point it was suspected had "evolved" to pneumonia per X-ray showing a spot in one small portion of the lung. I felt terrible for about three weeks. Took it easy the entire time. Got lots of rest.
Old 09-12-18, 03:20 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Finally! First day back on my bike since July 30, due to the pneumonia. Wasn't sure what to expect, but was shooting for at least 20 miles. Decided I'd just pace myself and see how it went. Started off a little slow, but felt better the longer I rode. Lungs were better than expected, but got a bit winded on some climbs I usually don't.

Overall, it went better than I thought. Ended up with 33 miles @ 15.1, which isn't my usual of 16-17, but I was pleased with it. Really expected something in the 13 to 14 range.

Glad to be back! The last almost 6 weeks has been hell, not being able to ride. At least I had the Vuelta to watch to give me some cycling fix in the meantime.
Old 09-13-18, 12:14 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
Never had pneumonia and after reading these posts I hope I never will.
Old 09-15-18, 08:09 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Finally! First day back on my bike since July 30, due to the pneumonia. Wasn't sure what to expect, but was shooting for at least 20 miles. Decided I'd just pace myself and see how it went. Started off a little slow, but felt better the longer I rode. Lungs were better than expected, but got a bit winded on some climbs I usually don't.

Overall, it went better than I thought. Ended up with 33 miles @ 15.1, which isn't my usual of 16-17, but I was pleased with it. Really expected something in the 13 to 14 range.

Glad to be back! The last almost 6 weeks has been hell, not being able to ride. At least I had the Vuelta to watch to give me some cycling fix in the meantime.
Congrats! You’ll remember that ride for a long time.

-mr. bill