Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM preload install on BB30 Red crank

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 05:31 PM
DaMaDo

Bikes: 2018 Focus Paralane Factory

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

So a red 22 crank taken off a canondale came only with a wavy washer on the NDS and some plastic spacers on the DS

I'm installing this crank on my Focus which needs the preload adjuster (and I don't think it uses the wavy washer or plastic spacers).

I got the adjuster and it comes with a little thin black spacer. Do I need to use that on this crank or is that spacer for different cranks? My Apex cranks have a recess to hold that spacer so it makes sense there, but the Red cranks don't have that recess for the spacer.

I just want to make sure i'm installing this adjuster correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm also assuming I need to de-grease the spindle thoroughly so the adjuster can grip properly.

Last edited by DaMaDo; 01-26-19 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 10:17 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
The adjuster replaces the wavy wasker. It basically serves the same purpose. Mine is on Cannondale CAAD10 with satndard BB30 shell (68mm). I dont use any spacers. I do grease the spindle but after I slide the adjuster arm on. With the set screw tightened, I have not had any issues with the adjuster moving.
Old 01-27-19, 03:21 PM
DaMaDo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
The adjuster replaces the wavy wasker. It basically serves the same purpose. Mine is on Cannondale CAAD10 with satndard BB30 shell (68mm). I dont use any spacers. I do grease the spindle but after I slide the adjuster arm on. With the set screw tightened, I have not had any issues with the adjuster moving.
Thanks for the reply DOS.

I won't use the wavy silver washer, but the adjuster comes with a very thin flat black metal washer. That's the one I'm uncertain about. On my Apex crank it was on the outer side of the adjuster up against the crank arm.
Old 01-27-19, 04:42 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by DaMaDo
Thanks for the reply DOS.

I won't use the wavy silver washer, but the adjuster comes with a very thin flat black metal washer. That's the one I'm uncertain about. On my Apex crank it was on the outer side of the adjuster up against the crank arm.
Description sounds like the metal cover for my BB30 bearings. If you have something like that covering the bearing face, you probably dont need it.
Old 01-27-19, 04:46 PM
DaMaDo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS

Description sounds like the metal cover for my BB30 bearings. If you have something like that covering the bearing face, you probably dont need it.
No, my bearing cover isn't flat (has a flange), and it's on the inside. This flat washer was on the outside of the adjuster. Wish I could post a pic, but don't have the post count yet.

If you google "SRAM crank adjuster" you'll see the washer that comes with the adjuster.
Old 01-27-19, 06:20 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by DaMaDo
No, my bearing cover isn't flat (has a flange), and it's on the inside. This flat washer was on the outside of the adjuster. Wish I could post a pic, but don't have the post count yet.

If you google "SRAM crank adjuster" you'll see the washer that comes with the adjuster.
so use it the way it was used before.Maybe its designed to createe sepration to ensure adjuster turns freely.
Old 01-27-19, 08:49 PM
DaMaDo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS

so use it the way it was used before.Maybe its designed to createe sepration to ensure adjuster turns freely.
Yeah will do. It doesn't have the same indentation for it as the Apex, but it might work the same way.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-28-19, 03:14 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
FWIW I have a Red BB30 that I installed myself and there isn't any spacer or shim in it. The plastic piece rides against the crank arm. When you turn it, the threads cause the metal piece to move inwards (the "+" direction) against the bearing race. That metal piece needs to be able to slide on the spindle. If you loosen the screw too much (or the metal piece can't slide) the plastic adjuster will "jump" over the thread and not push the metal piece inwards. I suppose if the metal piece was too loose on the spindle it could spin with the adjuster which of course would result in it not working right.

scott s.
Old 01-28-19, 05:49 AM
DOS

Originally Posted by scott967
FWIW I have a Red BB30 that I installed myself and there isn't any spacer or shim in it. The plastic piece rides against the crank arm. When you turn it, the threads cause the metal piece to move inwards (the "+" direction) against the bearing race. That metal piece needs to be able to slide on the spindle. If you loosen the screw too much (or the metal piece can't slide) the plastic adjuster will "jump" over the thread and not push the metal piece inwards. I suppose if the metal piece was too loose on the spindle it could spin with the adjuster which of course would result in it not working right.

scott s.
Yes, this is how mine works too on my BB30. I have no shims between crank arm and the adjuster. I imagine one might allow the adjuster turn a little easier but I only ever need to turn mine a small amount so its never been an issue. And if I had the shim, I probably wouldn’t need to turn the adjuster at all.
Old 01-29-19, 06:05 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Why does the Focus require the preload adjuster?

I've installed a Red bb30 in a friends Chinese Carbon bike using the wavy washer for preload, and on my own bike I replaced the Rival bb30 crank with the adjuster, for a Force with wavy washer.
Old 01-29-19, 10:00 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by 02Giant
Why does the Focus require the preload adjuster?

I've installed a Red bb30 in a friends Chinese Carbon bike using the wavy washer for preload, and on my own bike I replaced the Rival bb30 crank with the adjuster, for a Force with wavy washer.
I think it serves same purpose so you could probably use wavy washer and adjuster interchangeably. The adjuster supposedly makes it easier to get preload right. I have never usd a wavy washer so don’t know about that.
Old 01-30-19, 07:53 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I like the simplicity of the wavy washer, of course either one works.
Old 01-31-19, 07:47 PM
DaMaDo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Without the preload adjuster, the focus paralane would need around a 9mm spacer.

I found SRAM's manual and it looks like the flat shim that the preload adjuster comes with is not used on the Red 22 crankset.