Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fulcrums or Fulcraps?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fulcrums or Fulcraps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-19, 03:24 AM
stuckAt90Kgs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fulcrums or Fulcraps?

Hi all

It's been three years since I bought a brand new set of Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels on-line. The wheels arrived packed in Fulcrum branded boxes. The wheels had no rubber (obviously) and there was some paperwork included in the box as well for good measure. All very official and nice looking. I was a happy man.

Ran the wheels for three years, and just the other day started noticing a bit of side-to-side play in the rear wheel. Ok, I thought, let's see what we can find on-line as far a causes are concerned. Found out that generally, but not always, that it's a sign that the bearings need replacing but Fulcrum wheels have a feature that allows me to adjust the pre-load or tension on the wheel to get rid of the play without taking apart the wheel. Apparently all Fulcrums have this feature... except of course my wheels. When comparing my hubs to what's shown on-line even the hubs look different, so I'm not sure what type of wheel I actually have. It says Fulcrum Racing 5 all over the wheel and Fulcrum on the hub.

Secondly, it takes two 17mm standard wrenches to open the hub. There are no opposing lock nuts. No cone wrenches are needed. Just two standard wrenches. Undo the NDS while keeping the drive side immobile and with a little bit of pressure the whole thing opens up. Bearings inside don't look too bad. The two hub bearings (sealed) are in good shape. There are two bearings (also sealed) in the free hub that feel a bit crappy, but not too bad.

When I put the wheel back together again I'm hesitant in tightening too much. It appears I have no way to adding pre-load apart from doing up the two main 17mm bolts. And the side-to-side play is always there. Can't get rid of it.

Anyone have any experience with these type of wheels? And why are they so different from what Fulcrum is showing on-line in their video tutorial series?

TIA
Old 03-08-19, 05:21 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Try contacting the manufacturer. That’s usually the best way to proceed.
Old 03-08-19, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Three years ago you bought the wheels and are comparing to a website photo of today's product. I don't know, but Fulcrum 5 might be much like Shimano Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105, etc. The name is just a tier level of their products. Shimano 105 of today is not Shimano 105 of three years ago.

I'm assuming that you bought the wheel from Fulcrum or one of it's authorized dealers. So a check with them should find you the answer quick. As well, they may have maintenance manuals available for the hubs, unless they consider that something for dealers and service centers and won't give you access to them.
Old 03-08-19, 10:16 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I'd suggest that given you have 3 years of riding on these wheels, the use of the term Fulcraps is a bit whiny.

Fulcrums have a pretty good reputation, and I've found Campy stuff to be a bit more adjustable than other brands. Just my impression.

As others have said, make sure that any instructions you get and use are for the right model year. Designs change.

Last, I can't believe that Campy would make a wheel that can't be adjusted. So keep looking for the right instruction sheet, or take it to the LBS and have them adjust it (and show you the process).
\
Old 03-08-19, 10:18 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Fulcrum has made multiple variants of their wheels over the years, keeping the same name, but changing specs.

Having used 5's before, they were a different spec to yours (from your description), but very easy to service. following their online (youtube) video for that wheel.

Would suggest that you look for service instructions/contact an LBS to assist, as this seems to be beyond your capability/knowledge to service them (no harm in asking when you don't know) alternatively, a quick Google search brings up lots of how too's and videos.
Old 03-08-19, 11:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Defining fulcrum

Fulcrum is the balance point of a teeter totter... in other levers the fulcrum is not in the center.. crow bar it's very close to the end

catapult, it is the end..

(OP does read as a bit whiney, might be overly fussing, when weather prevents riding)

for all I can guess, maybe it's using radial contact bearings , and the play is within spec.

yea let the bike shop have a look see it slow time in shops now,,

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-08-19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 04:02 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I think the OP believes that he may have purchased a "knock off" or fake Fulcrum wheelset, so your suggestions about real Fulcrum wheelsets are not all that relevant.

In any event, the side play is because the bearings have worn enough to develop play. They may still roll smooth and feel ok with your fingers, but the side play indicates that they are worn. The only fix is to replace the bearings. Regardless of who made them, the bearings should have markings on the shield to indicate the proper replacement size.
Old 03-08-19, 04:06 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I have some Fulcrum OEM wheels labeled as "4.5" but the hubs are really 5. I had a ton of side play in the rear after about 10K miles and while it's easy to disassemble the rear hub and replace the bearings I have not been able to remove the play. Those wheels currently are gathering dust in the garage. Well, actually the rear axle is sitting on the bench with the freehub.

I think the "5" was the only model with this style hub.

scott s.
Old 03-08-19, 05:32 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
I think the OP believes that he may have purchased a "knock off" or fake Fulcrum wheelset, so your suggestions about real Fulcrum wheelsets are not all that relevant.
Not reading it that way (and have never heard of 'knock off Fulcrums' Enve/Zipp yes, but Fulcrum are possibly a not high end enough to make it worth while, more of the OP is as Fiestbob says, whiney.

As I mentioned Fulcrum have made multiple version fo the 5 over the years, so without knowng the exact model/year, it will be pretty hard for anyone to give specific advise, really thinking that this is one for a LBS with a account of whoever the in-country distributr is, who can see and ID exactly what the OP has.
Old 03-08-19, 08:46 PM
stuckAt90Kgs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul

In any event, the side play is because the bearings have worn enough to develop play. They may still roll smooth and feel ok with your fingers, but the side play indicates that they are worn. The only fix is to replace the bearings. Regardless of who made them, the bearings should have markings on the shield to indicate the proper replacement size.
Spot on dsaul! My initial fear was that I had possibly become the victim of a fast-talking bike wheel salesman.

But I don't deny the whiny tone of my post, which is generally related to my lack of experience with wheels. But, am enjoying the feedback from all the posters. Thanks all. I've understood that I need to learn more about this (and possibly also sound less whiny but that might be a subjective thing).

Three years of quite decent service tho... can't beat that.

In any case, everything points to this hub needing some LBS attention. Thanks dsaul for confirming that it's indeed the bearings that are the cause. Off to the LBS I go!.

Thanks again.

Last edited by stuckAt90Kgs; 03-08-19 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 03-08-19, 08:48 PM
stuckAt90Kgs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
I have some Fulcrum OEM wheels labeled as "4.5" but the hubs are really 5. I had a ton of side play in the rear after about 10K miles and while it's easy to disassemble the rear hub and replace the bearings I have not been able to remove the play. Those wheels currently are gathering dust in the garage. Well, actually the rear axle is sitting on the bench with the freehub.

I think the "5" was the only model with this style hub.

scott s.
Thanks Scott. Valuable information.