Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano UN-55 BB left cup not tightened to shell?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 05:05 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

I just installed a UN_55 bottom bracket and the left aluminum "cup" is not tightening down all the way down to the BB Shell. The gap between the "cup" flange and the BB shell is about 1 mm. the threads are not crossed. I did put some grease inside the "cup" that might be caught and a hydraulic block. Is this gap with in spec? I don't have a torque wrench set up for this, but I got it pretty tight for aluminum threads.
Old 04-07-19, 05:16 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
It should be fine - as long as the right hand cup is tightened first, all the way. And, of course, there's no play in the axle. It should even feel a bit "rough" when turning the axle with fingers, unlike wheel bearings.
Old 04-07-19, 05:39 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Some of the confusion might be in the terminology--it's a retaining ring, not a cup. While it has a lip, it is designed to seat on the face of the cartridge.

In fact, old models don't have the lip on the retaining ring.
Old 04-07-19, 06:04 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Are you putting a 68 mm cartridge into a 73 mm shell? Read the label and measure the bike.
Old 04-07-19, 06:22 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Originally Posted by wschruba
Some of the confusion might be in the terminology--it's a retaining ring, not a cup. While it has a lip, it is designed to seat on the face of the cartridge.

In fact, old models don't have the lip on the retaining ring.
That was my assumption. There was a little bit of bind on the bearings that seemed like it was related to to the retaining ring torque, but also seamed to go away after spinning the shaft a dozen times.
Old 04-07-19, 09:33 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Perfectly fine. Your bottom bracket shell might not be a full 68mm, have you measured it?
Old 04-07-19, 10:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Add a spacer to the left side, to tighten it against ? you could..
Old 04-07-19, 10:38 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Add a spacer to the left side, to tighten it against ? you could..
Absolutely no point to that, and it could interfere with the connection between the NDS cup and the cartridge.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-07-19, 10:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
All depends on the gap thickness being matched by the spacer thickness, the gap seemed to bother him..
doesn't bother me at all..

Old 04-08-19, 03:22 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I've seen this gap on a couple of my steel frames, even with the BB shell reasonably within tolerance (e.g. 67.7mm). I usually torque the drive side to spec, then just tighten the NDS "good and tight" and check to make sure the axle isn't binding. Seems to work okay for me.

The only downside is that, if you had your BB recently faced, the gap will leave bare steel open to the elements in an area that's exposed to a lot of water spray (possibly salty water). So you might want to seal it with a little touch up paint.
Old 04-08-19, 04:19 PM
bark_eater 

I'm going to fill the gap with grease.
Old 04-10-19, 07:25 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I'm going to fill the gap with grease.
in my opinion, that will just attract dirt and whatnot, so consider using some caulking or something. Bathroom caulking or the like will stop accumulation of dirt, wont be sticky like grease, and can easily be removed if need be.

have never done this, but very recently installed a new square taper and there was a very slight gap also, but not enough to concern me--but your experience made me recall the gap, and the caulking idea just came to me.
I guess other stuff you have around the house could work too, I dunno--rubber cement, flexible glue, anything that would do the job but still be easily scraped out if you needed to retighten it.
Old 04-10-19, 07:40 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
in my opinion, that will just attract dirt and whatnot, so consider using some caulking or something. Bathroom caulking or the like will stop accumulation of dirt, wont be sticky like grease, and can easily be removed if need be.

have never done this, but very recently installed a new square taper and there was a very slight gap also, but not enough to concern me--but your experience made me recall the gap, and the caulking idea just came to me.
I guess other stuff you have around the house could work too, I dunno--rubber cement, flexible glue, anything that would do the job but still be easily scraped out if you needed to retighten it.
Silicone caulk is just wrong. It gets into the pores of the metal & nothing will adhere again, ever. Also, silicone caulk off-gasses & creates a mildly corrosive environment in enclosed spaces. I know it's commonly used for lots of things, but if you have electronics enclosed in a box & used silicone caulking to seal out the weather, soon you will have a liquid filled box of corroded electronics. Common knowledge in the hobby electronics community. Secondly, the only thing that sticks to silicone is silicone. So your "seal" is only temporary at best since by extension it won't actually adhere to the surface you are trying to seal.

Latex based caulk is the better, longer lasting, solution that actually does what it says. It's easy to find. It's the one labled "paintable."

That being said, good ol' fashioned grease is fine to fill the gap for corossion protection/water infiltration if those are concerns you have. Some bb cups don't have a lip at all. In either case, I say screw it down & call it good. The inner bore of the cup very closely matches the outter bore of the bb cartridge. That's where the support comes from.

Last edited by base2; 04-10-19 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-10-19, 08:45 AM
djb

Originally Posted by base2
Silicone caulk is just wrong. It gets into the pores of the metal & nothing will adhere again, ever. Also, silicone caulk off-gasses & creates a mildly corrosive environment in enclosed spaces. I know it's commonly used for lots of things, but if you have electronics enclosed in a box & used silicone caulking to seal out the weather, soon you will have a liquid filled box of corroded electronics. Common knowledge in the hobby electronics community. Secondly, the only thing that sticks to silicone is silicone. So your "seal" is only temporary at best since by extension it won't actually adhere to the surface you are trying to seal.

Latex based caulk is the better, longer lasting, solution that actually does what it says. It's easy to find. It's the one labled "paintable."

That being said, good ol' fashioned grease is fine to fill the gap for corossion protection/water infiltration if those are concerns you have. Some bb cups don't have a lip at all. In either case, I say screw it down & call it good. The inner bore of the cup very closely matches the outter bore of the bb cartridge. That's where the support comes from.
just ideas here, I'm not a caulking expert. I have used the paintable stuff a fair amount, but in the end maybe caulking isnt the best idea.
Wax or something soft, but wont gunk up with dirt like grease?

again, just ideas here. The slight gap on the old bike I fixed up recently didnt bother me, so I guess the person in question here will make his or her own decision, and there is no reason to try something and remove it--but thats good information about silicone caulking and the downsides, thanks.
Old 04-10-19, 12:34 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

You guys need to stop worrying about that little gap. It's actually a good sign that the bottom bracket is making firm contact everywhere it needs to -- inside the shell.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-10-19, 06:27 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
OR, you could just stretch an appropriately sized o-ring/rubber band over it, which has the double whammy of keeping crap out, and being 100% reversible with no painful cleanup.
Old 04-10-19, 07:47 PM
djb

how about squishing some wax in there, not as reversible as an o ring thingee though.

on the whole "keeping crap" out angle, many many years ago I had a bike with square taper that had developed a creak. The bearing felt ok though, so removed the bb, and was surprised how much grit had worked its way into the grease in the threads, cleaned everything up, slapped a lot of new grease on the threads, reinstalled it and it made the creak go away and was good for a few more years.
the creak was probably from having loosened a bit, but I was frankly surprised by the grit-mind you, that bb was probably the original, about 15 years old, and easily had 20,000kms on it.