Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Medicare- Soon to start!

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Medicare- Soon to start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 07:34 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Medicare- Soon to start!

So as I get close to Medicare,I signed up for it this week, I have some questions! AxvaAdvan Plan or Supplemental? Tell me your reasons for your choice.
Thanks!
Old 11-10-18, 07:43 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
What is "AxvaAdvan Plan"
Old 11-10-18, 10:08 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Stupid word pick on this tablet! I was asking about Advantage plans.
Old 11-10-18, 02:24 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
My research several years ago showed that the advantage plans seriously limited doc and hospital choices compared to supplemental plans.
Old 11-10-18, 02:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
In my town, Advantage is definitely the way to go. Good choice, low cost. But it only works in my area. If I traveled a lot or were a snow bird, Supplemental would be the way to go because it works everywhere, though it's more expensive - naturally. You should find an agent who can advise you on your choices - for free. They're paid by the insurance companies.
Old 11-10-18, 05:58 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Advantage has worked for me. The network includes all my local major medical facilities along with my primary physician. I’m not paying any additional cost for the Advantage coverage other than what I’m paying for Medicare.
My prescriptions have been at no cost. I also get $60 of over the counter medical items for no additional cost.

I had a bad bike crash in August that required an Emergency Room visit followed by a total hip replacement the next day and 4 nights of hospital stay. My out of pocket cost was around $300 per night.
Old 11-17-18, 03:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I managed my mom's medical care until she died recently at 79. (I'm 60, covered by VA, not quite ready for Medicare.) Besides numerous physical disabilities my mom developed dementia and needed a lot of help during her final decade of life.

Medicare offers more choices, which may be important to some folks in some areas. But mom was happy with the hospital and clinics at the local public teaching hospital. So after awhile we decided it was more cost effective to go with a Medicare replacement plan. For the last couple of years of her life she was with Aetna and it worked out really well. Almost no out of pocket costs, from routine office visits to prescriptions to hospitalizations to her final year spent mostly in physical rehab and a nursing home.

With a Medicare supplement mom's copays would have been relatively low for someone with a good income, but she was getting by on SS disability, about $1,000/mo. So even copays of only $5-$20 added up quickly. For her the Aetna Medicare replacement plan was much better.

The one potential downside of a Medicare replacement plan is certain limitations when the patient transitions from independent living with outpatient care and occasional inpatient care, to long term rehab and full time nursing home care. However in mom's case Aetna paid for everything, including her final two weeks in ICU with respiratory distress and hospice.

However, if you have a good retirement income, are in reasonably good health and can manage your own financial and health care needs, and are fortunate to live in an area with plenty of health care choices, you might prefer regular Medicare with a supplement to cover more costs.

If your income is below a certain threshold, you may be eligible for federal and state programs to offset some costs for prescription drugs, and even in-home aides to assist with light housekeeping, bathing, errands and accompaniment to medical appointments. Don't hesitate to apply for those if your health needs or finances change. In some cases a good supplement plan representative will help you apply for any benefits -- it benefits the supplement programs as well, so it's in their best interest as well as your own. Aetna and Wellcare were very good about this with my mom. Helped her recover some money and benefits.
Old 11-18-18, 05:14 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
FWIW, I had a person with one of the providers do an in home visit and we went over all the choices and prices/coverages. There is certainly an option that would best fit your situation and needs. All the major companies offer choices so I’m sure you’ll find an option that you’ll be satisfied with. I’m fortunate to live in the suburbs of a good sized city that has lots of medical options and good networks. The insurance companies I looked at were United Healthcare, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Humana, Aetna, etc. Their plans were all very similar. I went with a company I already had experience with and felt comfortable with their customer service. I’ve been pleased with their service the last 18 months.
Old 11-21-18, 07:15 AM
Tandem Tom

Thanks for all your replies!
This has been quite a learning experience! As for signing up for Medicare I made a trip to the the SSA office and positioned myself first in line before they opened! In and out in 30 minutes and had my card 2 weeks later!
I am working with 3 different agents to get a broad idea. But I am leaning towards a supplement,Medicare F High Deductible, plan. Now I am looking for the least expensive drug plan as I don't take any.
Old 11-21-18, 07:29 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It’s a tricky landscape. My wife is a volunteer trained to steer seniors through the Medicare process. It’s a wildly confusing process. I’m 68 in a month or so, haven’t enrolled yet as I’m still working full time and have a Cadillac plan and HSA that works vastly better than Medicare. I’ll retire and do Medicare at the time when she’s Medicare-eligible in a couple of years. From my standpoint as a physician, supplemental plans work the best for my patients, but there’s a tremendous variation from state to state, region to region, person to person.
Old 11-23-18, 08:58 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Tandem Tom said: " But I am leaning towards a supplement,Medicare F High Deductible, plan."

The supplemental plan F(high and regular) are going away in 2020. You can still sign up for these plans till 2020. I was told that since the F plans are going away, that the coverage costs will start going up since no new customers will be added. And over time the number in these plans will diminish because of death and push the costs even higher for plan F. And there does not seem to be any other plan with a high deductible to go to now. Plan G is a good replacement for plan F regular.

Most of the folks I worked with went with an Advantage plan as you pay no premiums. And I think the government pushes Advantage plans, as this takes them out of the picture. I went to a bunch of meetings on what to do last year and when I ask the presenters what plan they had it was always a supplemental. That was my sign and I decided to do Plan G.
Old 11-25-18, 08:22 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Tom- I've had regular Medicare combined with a United Healthcare plan F (no deductible) and Humana/Walmart part D plan for several years now. They have served me well. Had a heart attack a year ago and never paid any co-pays. That included a helicopter ride to the hospital and 10 weeks of re-hab.

In January the plan F will go up to $200/mo, my part D plan will go up to $30/mo. I recently attended a Medicare informational meeting and was told about the new plan G. The agent said that plan G is identical to plan F except includes a one time $183 co-pay with a lower premium... the $183 co-pay would save in premiums over the course of a year. This being the month for plan changes I have a follow up appointment with the agent next week to discuss my options. He also liked Advantage plans. Unless he gives me the Advantage hard sell I'll keep what I have. Will report back.

Last edited by BobG; 11-26-18 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-30-18, 01:19 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
I am not there yet. I have 11 months! Am I counting down? YOU BET!! I currently have Blue Shield and am paying like a mortgage would cost ( like having two houses) . I will use an agent to direct me, he has helped me for many years and I trust him. I have heard that AARP offers good supplemental plans. Joe
Old 12-01-18, 08:49 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
68 and working and with employer insurance but retiring at the end of December so........have signed with an Advantage plan starting 1/1/19. As has my young 65 y.o. spouse/stoker. Its an HMO setup but lots of providers and hospitals/facilities to choose from. Insurance offshoot of the same healthcare system that I have worked for as an RN for 32 years. Includes drug, dental, vision and Silver and Fit program, which will enable us to cut our YMCA payments from $60 a month for both of us to $50 a year for both of us. Or possibly $0. If we ever become serious and frequent travelers who stay elsewhere for long periods, than we will look into supplemental plans.
Old 12-04-18, 08:04 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
Will report back.
Decided to keep the original Medicare with supplement F. Can't change to plan G after initial enrollment period at age 65 without a medical review. I have preexisting conditions so would fail that review.

Many Advantage plans pay only 20% of radiation and chemotherapy expenses (above what Medicare already covers). "But there is a $6700 annual cap for out of pocket expenses" said the salesman. Yep, that means if you get sick in December you may have to pay two yearly caps if treatment overlaps into the new year. With my medical history I'll keep what I have despite the higher premium.

Last edited by BobG; 12-05-18 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 06:40 PM
Tandem Tom

Decided to go with F High Deductible Plan and a cheap drug plan as I don't take anything. I also get my Y membership free. So that is $30 a month that I don't have to pay. Now I am looking at dental and vision plans.
Old 12-08-18, 10:28 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Both my wife and I have supplemental plans rather than the Advantage Option. Both of us have medical histories and conditions where we prefer to have options for choosing physicians that are the best for our needs. While Advantage plans in our area offer some good options, they necessarily limit physicians and facilities. One thing to keep in mind about Advantage plans is that if you enroll in one and then you develop a medical condition and you want to change to a supplemental plan, then you have a "pre-existing condition" that may limit your choices or make it difficult to switch from the Advantage plan. Just something to think about. Medicare offers options that suit a variety of needs, but it is important to understand the present-day and long-term implications of your choices.