Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Perineum Pain....................

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 01:01 PM
LastPlace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This weekend I did a forty miler after several weeks of twenty to twentyfive mile rides
and I felt like some bow-legged cartoon character afterwards. Wow, did it smart.

Without being graphic, I think I have a pronounced perineum, but that may just be the tenderness.

My question is....has anyone tried a Brooks and a Terry saddle, and if so, how
did they compare?

Both are highly regarded but neither are sold locally so each will have to be a mail
order item and the process could take a while.

The Brooks is tempting but the cut-out in the Terry has obvious appeal, especially
right now.

The bike is a Trek 1200 which still has an aluminum seat post, and I weigh 190-200,
and I am 5'8" tall with a long torso and short legs and have just had a new fitting by a
local LBS owner whom I respect.

Yes, I did a search but both got such good reviews I thought it was worth asking anew.

BTW, it would be a Brooks B-17 or a Terry Fly Tri Gel. Using the new Specialized saddle
sizing tool that supposedly measures 'sit bone' width, I would use the 155mm saddle
by Specialized.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

LastPlace
Old 07-05-05, 01:10 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For those that use them, Both saddles have a lot going for them. The brooks may take a little more time to settle in, but once it has moulded to your body shape, you will have a saddle that fits and is comfortable. The terry has been used by one of my friends for several year but he is a bit on the heavy side- 220lbs and he keeps bending the rails. The joy of him complaining when ever he has a new saddle to run in is not the most enjoyable conversation I have ever had with him, but this only lasts for about 2 or 3 rides, and I can assure you, if you do not notice the moans coming from him, then he has a comfortable saddle. (Some people whinge about the smallest thing)

I personally use the selle italia trans-am and the flite saddles, and I can assure you that the pelvic cutaway does work.
Old 07-05-05, 09:02 PM
LastPlace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stapfam,

Thanks for the input. The Brooks is appealing but it seems highest right
where I seem to be having the most discomfort. If there are any 'Brookies'
out there who can give me any input about their saddles and this
particular comfort issue please feel free to.

If you don't mind, would you tell me the age of your friend and what
model he uses?

Thanks again.

LastPlace
Old 07-05-05, 10:20 PM
Roger B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem. Tried the saddle with two halves that swivel, could not get used to it. Been using "The Seat" for months and it works for me. It has no horn and no pain in perineum.
Old 07-06-05, 06:03 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no saddle is perfect for everyone
buying one will always be a bit of a gamble
a soft saddle (gel) will only cause issues (the soft parts will begin to settle in and irritate your butt after some miles)
not all of the cut-out saddles are really effective (some seem gimicky)

that said, I use a Brooks. It takes some time to break in -- depending upon model, but once it is, it fits the rider and will be comfortable.

I use a B5N (an oldie from the 70's) and the standard B17, which takes little or, according to some, no time to break in. Be sure to adjust the height and fore-aft position, and keep tweaking it.

Wallbike.com carries them; they have a return policy and sometimes they pop up for a few bucks less in the used page.

do some searches for Brooks and Brooks b17 for opinions/suggestions
Old 07-06-05, 07:25 AM
LastPlace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sigurdd50,

I am very glad you replied as I was looking at Brooks. My question is; doesn't it have
a high ridge running down the length of the saddle and doesn't that cause discomfort?
I can see some softening with age but does it scallop from front to rear? What changes
occured with age?

LastPlace
Old 07-06-05, 07:52 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think of the leather Brooks as more of a hammock that over time, conforms to the shape of your behind. Two indents or dimples will form on either side of the back end of the saddle where your sitz bonez contact the saddle. The leather sort of sways like a hammock because it is connected by rivets at the front and rear... allowing it to sway in the middle.

The B17 is made with slightly softer leather (the Professionals are HARD) so break in is not long or painful.

Bear in mind that any saddle purchase may not be correct, but also remember that Brooks has been making saddles for over 100 years. They must be doing something right!

As we suggested, do some forum searches on Brooks, B17, etc you will come up with lots of info. Also check out Sheldon Brown's web site and Wallbike.com for info
Old 07-06-05, 11:54 AM
nalax49

Bikes: Ibis Mojo, Breezer Storm SS, Gunnar Ruffian SS, Klein Rascal SS, Basso Gap, Breezer Ignaz cruiser, Gunnar Rockhound, 2 old Schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, I have four different models of Flite saddles and they are all comfortable for me. However I found that the cut-out version (Trans Am) did not give me any more relief than the other versions, except for the cut-out relief. I've even had better luck with the gel Flite despite the negative reviews it gets. I also tried a Terry based on the recommendation of two friends who are about the same size as me, but after a week I couldn't stand it and got rid of it.

For me, correct saddle position and changing positions during riding work better at preventing numbness than anatomic, cut-out saddles though I haven't given up hope for finding that miracle saddle.

So....different saddles work for different folks. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-06-05, 12:02 PM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, correct saddle position and changing positions during riding work better at preventing numbness than anatomic, cut-out saddles though I haven't given up hope for finding that miracle saddle.
Key info here
when I am working out a new (or new-old saddle) and I am riding, I always take along the tool to raise/lower, fore-aft adjust the seat.
Ride for a few miles, stop, tweak the positioin, ride on, etc.
It's silly to think that I can make an adjustment inthe garage, eye-balling the height, and get it right.
and don't forget your handle bar height might affect the comfort of your seat as well
plus whether the saddle tips nose up or nose down (I like my saddle nose tipped up a bit up)
Old 07-06-05, 06:30 PM
Bacco

Bikes: Lemond Zurick, BF Pocket Crusoe, Trek 2120, Iron Horse Maverick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most everyone tries many saddles before finding one that works well for them. I tried five before I found the one I can ride on day-after-day with no discomfort. I recommend that you buy saddles from a place like Performance that has a liberal return policy. You must ride a saddle to know if you will like it. The one I wound up liking the one that I almost didn't try because I didn't like the looks of it. Getting one with a cut-out is a good idea or at least one that isswaybacked as opposed to flat across the top.
Old 07-06-05, 06:59 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
I have always found Brooks saddles very comfortable. I also like some of the modern saddles with a slot or a depression on top. The one saddle which causes me pain in the perineum is a narrow padded Marin, which was original equipment on my friend's mid-1990s mountain bike.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-06-05, 08:39 PM
LastPlace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks John,

As I said in my origional post I am considering both a Brooks
and a Terry and was hoping someone had tried both, which I knew
was a longshot. This amount of money means I need to make a very
careful decision.

You have given me a good idea though. Now I think I will try to find
a vendor that carries both saddles to improve my odds of a fit. Thanks.

LastPlace
Old 07-07-05, 09:30 PM
sobercycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back Monday from a three day 270 mile ride from Astoria, OR. to Bellingham, WA. I rode 128 miles the first day on a Brooks B-17 that had about 350 miles breakin on it. It has been pretty comfortable the whole time I have had it. My southern regions had some soft tissue damage as the seatpost allowed the B-17 to slip back a bit and was just a little high in the front. Adjusting it forward a tad helped immensely and I was able to do the next 142 miles with not much trouble. The advice to carry tools to adjust it on the fly were spot on. Its amazing what a difference a degree or two or a 1/4 inch will make!!
Old 07-08-05, 07:50 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
One thing to consider if you buy the Terry brand saddle-they do come with a money back guarantee if you don't like it (at least they did when I bought mine). I like the Terry saddle I use (men's Liberator Sport-don't think that exact one is made now though). I didn't have to use the money back guarantee, so not sure of the details.
Old 08-19-05, 04:02 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
A spiderflex 2 pad seat works fairly well. It's available online only. A better solution is a long wheel base recumbent which eliminates most sources of pain. bk
Old 08-19-05, 04:36 PM
LastPlace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bkaapcke,
I have been riding a Brooks B-17 for some time. Thanks for the reply.

LastPlace
Old 08-19-05, 05:32 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It may not work for you but I have found relief by buying saddles that have a football shaped hole cut in them at the strategic location. The ones I have are from Selle Italia but I think you can get that kind of profile from many makers. Without the hole, I get numb in about 10 miles. With it, I can go the distance.
Old 08-19-05, 07:05 PM
LastPlace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folks,

Sorry if I didn't make clear. I am using a Brooks now and it is great for me.

LastPlace